News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

auto-breed thought?

Started by indigowulf, February 21, 2010, 11:07:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

indigowulf

I dont know how much of an issue it is of slowing the system down, or if it's something that causes concern or not, but heres a thought, you're welcome to ignore lol.

would it be possible for critters named "name me" to be ignored by the system when autobreed check comes? then, people who started an account and quit, or people who dont get the chance to log in real often, ect- wouldnt be having gargantuan populations of unnamed wobbles and gidgets lagging things down?

Most people who care about thier critters and wish them to breed have named them. Also, this would prevent miles and miles of pedegree of "name me", which I know some people are finding frutrating.

eta: quoting the wobble pending removal thread for the logic behind this thought:

Quotetake up processing power in searches and such, slowing down the site.

JBGarrison72

With respect, I believe that no one's rights would be impaired or hindered if only named critters were auto-bred.

My personal opinion echoes Indigo's such that I believe it is of benefit to those who end up being away from Secundi for any length of time to have only their named pets bred.

If one mentally considers the possibilities of the current breeding method and the suggested method to their conclusions and compares the results, one may find agreement with this opinion as well.
- Jeffrey Boyd Garrison

indigowulf

I dont understand how choices are being taken away? If you like the pet enough to want babies, it seems silly that you dont like it enough to take the 3 seconds to name it.

I was gone for about a week, personal reasons, and came back to a population explosion much larger then I expected, have it under control now, it was my fault for being gone. But I know of at least 3 people who are having computer issues and are going to come back to a huge baby boom, and several who have (most likely) left secundi, who's babies are doing nothing but lagging the system.

Yes, its a personal opinion, but I think it shows your pet respect to name it. If you don't it should have it's babies out under the house and never bring them inside, like a real animal who isn't shown love would do.

Anyway, my real thought behind it was if it was lagging the system, as the wobbles who were turned in were being removed for that exact reason. The rest is opinion, and we could debate that all day long with neither being right or wrong, because opinion never is.

Taruia

Not gonna argue, removed my post.

Reality is only for those who lack imagination.

Garney

This completely negates the purpose of "O" causing items, which were made for this.

If I want my animals to breed, they have genders.

If I don't, I use "O" causing items. Simple.

indigowulf

What about another thought-if someone hasn't logged in for a certain amount of time thiers don't breed? Just thinking of people who have left or having trouble logging in and just keep having more and more babies to slow the system.

(points at coolduff, who I know has only logged in a couple times this month, cuz he had to use my comp. or splitx, who hasnt logged in since the 8th)

I'm not the one paying for the website, it only concerns me as a second hand thing. I just thought about it since silv said wobble retreat was making things slow. Im sure if it becomes a problem you in charge will find a solution. If my thoughts on it aren't worth exploring, as I said in first post, feel free to ignore them. Was just trying to be helpful. Guess I failed.

Silvanon

Hum, my thoughts on the issue:

I think going by login date addresses the proposed problem better than by naming. 

I've already made some back-end changes to the system to address the slowing issue, so this isn't something urgent.

Finally, I'd like to hear from more people before implimenting anything.

Ravvana

My $.02:
I like having my Name Me Wobbles/Gidgets breed. However, I do quite like the idea that the Wobbles/Gidgets of inactive users stop reproducing, perhaps after something like one or two weeks?

EDIT: On the other hand, that could be a problem for non-gaming accounts... I use Ravvs Breeders solely for my auto-breed pets, but only log in occasionally to grab out a Wobble or Gidget for my main account.

Echowing

The time activation thing sounds best. I didn't know the breeding was a problem but if it keeps things from lagging then I'm all for it.  :)

Ryuukokoro

Ryuu's opinion:

I only name my first gen Gidgets, so I can tell at a glance who is first gen and who is from breeding stock. But I do still want my breeding stock to breed. It would be a bit of a pain to go through and name all my Name Me's (plus for people without a lot of sg, that could be a lot of naming tags you have to buy...) but if enough people want it, I wouldn't complain.

But if it's something holding up the system (or something that will hold it up in the future) maybe some other sort of other solution could be thought up...?

Goddesss

I also like my Name  mes to breed.  I havent found the names that fit some of them.  Its not that I dont love them I love all my Gidgets and wobbles.  I do think to help with slowness and such being inactive for a bit and they wont breed is a good idea.

Kadana Sorano

hmm.. I have to say, I would be a bit peeved if my mini wobble army of Name Me's suddenly stopped growing simply for lack of names.  I have no intention of naming them no, not ever, simply because.. why name them when they are destined for the wobble retreat?  I am breeding them specifically for that.

I think the better option is the second one, to limit it by login.  But then, I too have the issue of my adoptable account being the home of my Name Me's that I want bred, and I don't have much reason to log on there daily.  If this was implemented, I would like to suggest a longer period of "inactivity" on an account before they stopped auto breeding.  Perhaps somewhere between 2 weeks to a month?

As an alternative suggestion, for people who know ahead of time that they will be away for a lengthy period but still dont want to de-genderize their name me's (just to have to re-genderize them when they return).. maybe an option somewhere for us to manually turn auto breeding off.  A vacation mode if you will (and this could either be turned back on manually, or perhaps automatically whenever they re-login next).

Again, that would only sort it out for those who know ahead of time that they will be away for a time.
Storm Chasers Current Thread: http://www.secundi.net/forum.php?topic=3836.0
Storm Chasers Customs Thread: http://www.secundi.net/forum.php?topic=3691.0
Okibi Stud and RB Service: http://www.secundi.net/forum.php?topic=4266.0
Quinsta Studs Free to Use: http://www.secundi.net/forum.php?topic=4308.0

My Eggs/Pets.. they would appreciate some love :) 

PonyMama

I too like my name me's to breed, and it helps when I go to trade in one fo my wobbles, then I don't accidently trade in one I want to keep,as I knwo name me's are the ones I am nto keeping.  Also when ordering my pets or making them "o" I knwo that the Name me's go at the bottom, or the name me's will be fixed.

I think it would be nice that any critter that is or isn't named to an account that is inactive for a long while be taken off the autobreed list

Sunchaser

i think i would like the option to stop a agency breeding in full. I mean i know we have the o items and what not but i havnt counted how many gidgets i have and each time i try to count to go buy the right number of items i lose track. I know i would like to breed certian ones but right now they are breeding to fast for me to keep up with *hangs head*

Kadana Sorano

Sunny.. as of this post you have 104 total gidgets on your account.  If that helps.  In future, there is no need to try and count them all, you can go to the search area, and the first big box on the top left, has a bunch of information you can input.. but you don;t have to do everything.  Just choose an agency from the drop down menu, then enter your user name in the name field, click search.  It will load a page with all your critters from that agency, and above the images it will tell you how many critters were found.

From there, you just need to subtract the number of gidgets that you want to remain gendered.
Storm Chasers Current Thread: http://www.secundi.net/forum.php?topic=3836.0
Storm Chasers Customs Thread: http://www.secundi.net/forum.php?topic=3691.0
Okibi Stud and RB Service: http://www.secundi.net/forum.php?topic=4266.0
Quinsta Studs Free to Use: http://www.secundi.net/forum.php?topic=4308.0

My Eggs/Pets.. they would appreciate some love :) 

Neocridders

(Well, I typed out a great responce... and my internet stopped and now I have to retype >:/ So here are my thoughts, probably not so nice because my attitude towards retyping what was a super long response is not great)

On the thought of wobbles not breeding if not named.
In my own opinion, this is terrible. My wobbles are not named because I have so many I cannot keep up.The last time I checked, I had a hundred or more wobbles. I bet I have more now. I like having a bunch of them, I am a collecter and hoarder. I want them all. I named them when I only had a handful, but my army has since then grown from a small family to a large community.

If you don't want them to breed, then use the item to make them not breed. Don't make me waste my secunds to name my hundreds of wobbles in order for them to breed, when in my opinion you should be wasting your secunds on the genderless item.
It just seems unfair to make me pay to play the 'wobble game' the way I always have, just because someone else does not want to mark their wobbles 'O'.
That is the fun of the game in my opinion. If it is not so fun for you to mark them all genderless, then maybe you should find another way to keep your population in count (Ooooh maybe that wobble retreat?!)

On the thought of random breeding not occuring to accounts not logged into.
I think this is also bad. I mean, if you are purchasing wobbles, you are agreeing to the known fact that they breed uncontrolled unless marked 'O'.
It is not any secret. It is obvious.
If you leave for a week, and are terrifyed that your four wobbles, atleast one of a different gender than the others, have produced the new population of 20 wobbles,
then my friend you are just going to need to get over it and do something about it. Mark them all 'O'. Put your unwanted ones in the retreat. Sell any that someone else might want. Give them away for free, to someone else who wants to use them for breeding/wobble retreat.

I think it is completely likely that if you leave a couple rabbits along for an extended time, there will be a population increase. That is how it happens in life.
Things don't pause if you go out of town and leave your un-neutered pets of the same species and different genders in the same room for a month.
They won't wait for your supervision.

I think this is the fun of the game, honestly. I don't see why anyone would be angry that their wobbles bred while they were away.
I mean, even if they were inactive, how would it matter? If they are not coming back, they won't mind.

If they do come back, then won't they have a fun little surprise when they turn on the lights to their pet page, to see a thousand or more sets of eyes looking back?

The only thing I could see a good reason to do this is the limited space issue. If there is no room for the exponential wobble growth, then I think the account would
have to have been sitting untouched for atleast 3 months. I think this is a reasonable amount of time to decide that that person is not just sick or on a mini vacation.

Well, that's my personal opinion.
Sorry if I seem moody. I just hate that I had to re-type this.

I don't mean attacks on anyone. I am trying to defend my side of this debate, and I am not looking at the people, but the words said by them.
I am not trying to go against anyone specifically, but the idea. Sorry if it seems otherwise.

indigowulf

I do feel like Ive been personally targeted for even posting it.

For the record, my own populations are happily under control.

I posted this for one reason and one reason alone- the issue of the system becoming slowed down.

It seems almost unanimous that people dont like the first idea. Fine. Im not the one in charge or the one who makes choices anyway, it was just a thought. It's been totally shot down, no need to beat a dead horse.

Neo, Im not talking about people who go away for a week or something. I did that, and came back and faced the consequenses with no complaint. Im talking about people who have lost thier internet or quit secundi. Is there any justifiable reason for someone who has *quit* secundi to have gidget/wobble populations sucking resources for the rest of us?

Goddesss

indigo I personally do not think you were wrong posting a suggestion.  That is all it was and people are entitled to their opinions.  I would not have posted in this thread because I saw people already disagreed with you and it isn't really my choice if it is implemented or not.  The only reason I did give my opinion was because it was asked for from Silvanon before she decides what to do.

I am sorry your feel targeted, but you know we all love you.  Most here are highly opinionated and this is a free spot to give our opinions weather they are agreed with or not.

Quote from: Silvanon on February 21, 2010, 11:52:53 PM
Hum, my thoughts on the issue:

I think going by login date addresses the proposed problem better than by naming. 

I've already made some back-end changes to the system to address the slowing issue, so this isn't something urgent.

Finally, I'd like to hear from more people before implimenting anything.

Midnight Phantom

I agree with goddess, I don't think you were wrong to post this, it  is an idea to a problem that will eventually arise if this community gets bigger. I also agree with indigo a little that one post seem to be attacking her personally even if they say differently it came out that way (::pokes all the "you"s in Neo's post:: )) . Hm for the problem, I do not mind either ways I would just start naming critters I don't exactly want to keep 1's or 2's so they can breed:;pokes wobbles:: buying a naming item or buying a genderless item, well you're buying an item either ways, and buy would be a sg sink  good or bad lol.  

Neocridders

I am sorry. I honestly meant it when I said I was not trying to attack anyone personally.
When I write, I write 'you' in a general way. As in, anyone reading this, they would see you and think themself. I don't know why, but I always do that.
I might be trying to make it an example. And as an example that is not really related to what I was posting: '(For example) If you love cheese and ham, you don't want to make a ham and cheese sandwich' or something like 'When you order something in the mail, you will get it soon'

And I am sorry. When writing, I say personal words like 'you' when I am actually not writing to anyone speciffically.
I am sorry I hurt your feelings. I did not post to hurt them. I posted because Silvanon asked opinions on that.
I tried to post my opinion, then my internet died. I was in a bit of a mood because I had spent a good 20 minutes typing that response and I had to start over.

I think the idea is a fine one, I just personally don't want it to happen.

I think it was a good idea to post the idea, I was not trying to attack you for posting the idea (I honestly was notintending to attack at all. I'm so sorry if it sounded that way :/)
I think it was good to post the idea, I was just trying to say why I did not like it. I'm sorry *hugs*

:( I'm sorry. II am sorry my writing is hard to get what emotion I am trying to type in. It was not meant to sound at all hostile or personally attacking at all.

I am so sorry that I misunderstood the thread a bit. Honestly, it was my mistake. I was reading along the posts already made, but I was mainly posting in response to your initial post. I guess in that I missed that you were only trying to help save the space and  resources needed to house all those unneeded wobbles.
I hope I can be forgiven in this mistake. It was not meabnt to hurt feelings  :'(