News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

Horse breeding question

Started by Ryuukokoro, July 08, 2012, 05:09:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryuukokoro

Thank goodness I have you guys to ask questions to when I'm writing novels about horses and don't know enough myself. XD

Well at the moment I'm writing about dragons, but in this fantasy world they fulfill a role a lot like horses in our world. So I have a question about real life horse breeding. When you breed, are you more concerned with the horse coloring, or the temperament, or intelligence? Or all three equally?

Specifically, I wonder if there was a really pretty horse (or dragon XD ) that had beautiful genes but a completely rotten personality, really fussy and hard to handle, would he be considered unfit stock? Or would his coloring be more important than his temperament?

Any advice and knowledge is welcome, thanks guys! X3

Wildfilly94

I like all three equally.

As for a bad temperment but beautiful coloring I'm not sure.
My moms friend is a trainer and breeder. She does shows and had a BRAT for a stud, but his build was perfect for the breed, and his movement was spectaacular. Color was  plus too, however, andalusians turn grey anyway so I guess it didn't matter TOO much.

Silvanon

I think for professional breeders it goes something like conformation, temperament, intelligence, color.  That having been said, if the color is outside the breed standard, it would trump everything and disqualify the individual from breeding.

We had some nationally renown arabian stables near us growing up, and I know there was one particular stud who, while well-ribboned, produced offspring the local trainers didn't want to touch because they took forever to learn anything and forgot most of it within months.  ^^

YourLoveOnly

I am not familiar with horse breeding, but I am familiar with most rodent types and also know some people who breed cats, usually color is one of the last things looked at. Sure, the breeders have a goal color-wise but temperament is very very important. You don't want to breed a hamster that attacks every time you put food in its cage XD