I know its just a fish, but that doesn't make me any happier

Started by Bunraku, March 10, 2013, 09:35:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bunraku

Meh. So, I went to do my usual thing this evening before going to my room-feeding the blue beta fish I keep in a tank with some lovely bamboo he liked to sit in to keep him company. He'd been perfectly fine the night before, abeit he was sitting at the bottom of the tank, though he did swim up to be fed. He liked to sit in the roots of the bamboo and swim around in them , so I didn't think anything was abnormal. Well..I guess it was, because when I went to feed him, he'd passed away and his lovely blue had turned all red.

I can't even fathom what might have been wrong with him, he was fine, happy as a fish can be. Its the most abrupt death of a Beta I've ever had because usually when they go, they look terrible before hand and I end up doing my best to keep them alive with whatever medicines I can get from the pet store, hoping they can recover. He just went without warning.

I'm just really shocked, that's all. I know he's just a fish, but I liked watching him, he was rather calming. And we all know how much I like fish .__. I hate being the one to find a pet like that, because it always shocks the hell out of me and I burst out crying. I'm 26 years old and yes, I still cry over my fish .__. Meh. To make it worse, I;d never photographed him or anything during the time I had him, and I feel really stupid for not doing so. He was technically my moms fish because both of mine had died a year ago...but well, still, I'm attatched, what can I say? He had a little personality all of his own.

I guess I just want to ask, has anyone else had a beta suddenly die like this? It just seems really weird that he'd up and go when he seemed perfectly healthy.

springacres

Never had one myself, but I'm awfully sorry to hear about your betta :(  The only fish I ever had were goldfish and they usually ended up dying without warning (Or else I didn't pay enough attention to them to notice the warning signs) but still, it's no fun to lose a beloved pet.

Bunraku

Thank you spring <3 I feel silly being worked up about it, but at least I think you guys understand

springacres

It's not silly, I've met other people online who have bettas and most of them, once you get them talking about their fish, they won't shut up :)  So I can understand how you can get attached to them <3

Wildfilly94

Ive had many die and some were abrupt like that. Others not so much, bit yes its happened to me before. It sucks and I still dont know what happened. Could be because of the water, but Im not sure. :/

Saturnalia

Oh, no, Bun :( :( :(
All of mine pretty much went the other way-- the "look horrible, try every medication" way. (Though I had a friend with a filter and while I was fish sitting her beta got sucked in and injured and didn't make it through... there was nothing that could have been done, but I felt so, so guilty...)

I have no idea what would cause the abrupt switch, either... that is strange, and certainly I could see how it would be really jarring and upsetting.

(This is all part of why I no longer keep fish... I just get too attached to any and every animal I have!)

In any case, I am so, so, sorry. *hugs for mind-twin*

Bunraku

*hugs back mind-twin* <3 Thank you hon, it means the world to me

Its usually the way it happens, isn't it? ><;; I hate the way they get all puffy when its like that, urgh...I guess I can be thankful he didn't have a lingering death. (Oh god...if that happened to me I'd cry ._. It doesn't matter who'se fish it is, I just love the little things! I understand how you feel completely ._.)

Isn't it weird? I don't think it was the water or anything else...it was just so fast. I think the weirdest thing was that when I found him, he didn't even look like my fish! He went from blue to red!

(I know what you mean ><;; My mom wants to get me some new ones though...we'll see...knowing me I'll cave in eventually and let her because I love fish >>;; )

BabyKittenCandy

I have had many Betta's and its always so sad to loose them! I currently don't have any and am not 100% up to speed but to go red makes it sound like an ammonia issue. There are also plenty of viruses that will wipe a fish out that quickly. Whatever the reason I'm very sorry you lost him!

Kadana Sorano

*hugs bun*  I'm so sorry!  I remember we had fish when I was "really" little, but beyond that I don;t remember much more then mine was a fighting fish, and always looked so darn lonesome.

Losing a loved one is hard, and that's what pets are, loved ones near and dear, often they can be closer to us then our family even.  Never feel bad, for feeling sad for losing one.  Even if it is "just a fish".  S/He wasn't "Just a" anything to you, he was a beloved friend, maybe even family member, and you have every right to grieve the same as one would a larger pet.

I'm sorry for your loss and pain *hugs more*
Storm Chasers Current Thread: http://www.secundi.net/forum.php?topic=3836.0
Storm Chasers Customs Thread: http://www.secundi.net/forum.php?topic=3691.0
Okibi Stud and RB Service: http://www.secundi.net/forum.php?topic=4266.0
Quinsta Studs Free to Use: http://www.secundi.net/forum.php?topic=4308.0

My Eggs/Pets.. they would appreciate some love :) 

Sunchaser

Aralie

Bunraku

*hugs you all* Thank you for understanding guys, my father buried him for me this morning. I feel like such a little kid having my dad bury my pets for me, but its just something he's always done for me. Plus I don't think I could stand to do it myself because it would start the waterworks up again ><;

BKC- I wonder if it could have been an ammonia issue? The tank had has a recent cleaning and the bamboo seemed to keep it cleaner than any of the beta tanks I'd ever had before, but it makes me wonder if something went wrong somehow that I didn't even notice.

Sunchaser

we all will cry for pets we care about. i had to have my dad bury all my pets even now. I know my doxxie is getting up there in age and I do not look forward to that day. But when that day comes dad will do it again

Wildfilly94

Quote from: Bunraku on March 11, 2013, 08:08:10 AM
*hugs you all* Thank you for understanding guys, my father buried him for me this morning. I feel like such a little kid having my dad bury my pets for me, but its just something he's always done for me. Plus I don't think I could stand to do it myself because it would start the waterworks up again ><;

BKC- I wonder if it could have been an ammonia issue? The tank had has a recent cleaning and the bamboo seemed to keep it cleaner than any of the beta tanks I'd ever had before, but it makes me wonder if something went wrong somehow that I didn't even notice.

^ This is exactly when my fish tend to go. When you clean the tanks mine usually die off. Some have turned colors when they die too. Its very sad. :/ But my current babies, a male and female that share a tank (seperated by glass) are doing well after 3 cleanings so far, so yeay! I'm hoping if I ever get the tank back I let my cousin borrow that I'll be able to breed them. They definantly finished their courting and are ready to go, I think shes swelling with eggs right now too.

Bunraku

Urgh, I wonder what could have gone wrong though wild? His tank has been cleaned a hundred times and I did nothing different from usual...its even been about 4 days since the last cleaning. ><

Dad did just mention he noticed a small white spot on one of his fins. I hope it wasn't some sneaky fungus >_>;

Wildfilly94

Could be. :/ Sometimes its somthing you'd normally overlook and out of no where, they're gone. They are so tempermental with their health, I've found. Reguardless, I am very sorry you lost him (Dunno if I said that already) and I totally understand your grief. Its hard to lose a pet, no matter how small.

Winged

So sad to hear about your fish Bun! I don't think it's silly because he's a fish, he was special to you so that matters. I know nothing about Bettas so can't comment on if this was normal or not.
Owner of Gliders!

Silvanon

BabyKittenCandy

With the colour change I would be inclined towards ammonia issues yes. Do you have a filter on the tank? The problem if you don't with cleaning the tank is the removal if the good bacteria that breakdown the ammonia. It's always better to do partial water changes rather than clean a tank completely (appologies if this is what you already do!).

I doubt he would have died from fungus that quickly, to be so quick it would have been a larger portion of him covered IMO.

Wild, breeding Betta's is a very delicate procedure and you would need far more than just the 2 tanks as the juvenile males all need to be separated out at a young age into an appropriate sized and heated tank/s. I have over 20 years fish keeping experience and I wouldn't take on breeding Betta's unless I had a dedicated breeding room with breeding barracks :)

Wildfilly94

Quote from: BabyKittenCandy on March 11, 2013, 11:59:17 AM

Wild, breeding Betta's is a very delicate procedure and you would need far more than just the 2 tanks as the juvenile males all need to be separated out at a young age into an appropriate sized and heated tank/s. I have over 20 years fish keeping experience and I wouldn't take on breeding Betta's unless I had a dedicated breeding room with breeding barracks :)

I know that, I have a book about breeding them, and I'm definantly prepared on what needs to happen and what I need to breem 'em. I'm just hoping someday soon I'll be able to breed them. It would be a fun experience and with the resources I have, shouldn't be too bad.

Daimas

Hugs tightly* its alright to cry over losing any pet Bun, I'm 25 and bawled for a month over my cat, and at 20 cried like a baby over a gerbil.

Im sorry for your loss sweetie