Started by Silvanon, March 11, 2010, 02:29:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silvanon

I'll let the ticket screen shots speak for themselves:

YourLoveOnly

red_uni387

springacres

indigowulf

I just did a user search on PI, it appears they have also changed the username of the account, because the only name that pops up for "kennel" is "kennelkrazed", an account with the following stats:

Name: kennelkrazed
Stable: 
BPoints: 4
LLogin: 03-10 05:50

Ryuukokoro

What....? That......doesn't make...any sense... @_o *re-reads it several times and is still confused*

So it's okay now for someone to steal an account from the person who ORIGINALLY paid for it, according to PI Mods and owners? Yeeeeaaaah, that makes a lot of sense. Good going, VeeZ.

springacres

I also have to wonder why the password wasn't changed immediately when Perf left the staff?

Taruia

They didn't change the name...

And Perf never "left" the staff. She even joined Secundi, so we had no reason to suspect that she was going to "steal" the Kennel account and the BP on it.

Reality is only for those who lack imagination.

Mutt

It seems they're always like that when it comes to hacking, I've had trouble with it before. I was told it was my bad luck that someone had somehow gotten my password... I managed to get mine back by changing the password... as they'd changed it but forgotten to change the e-mail.

>:(

springacres

I see, that does make it hard.  :(

What a bummer that this had to happen to such a nice group of people.

CutieePiee

It's a little funny how Perf left me bad feedback one time long ago because she thought I stole someone's artwork... when even PI mods said that I didn't. And she said that she would never ever do business with me again because I'm an art thief. Who's the thief now?  :-\

Pinkshadow

OMFG !!! PI is just soo soo stupid, im so glad i dont use my money and time in that place anymore <3

TheLeet

To be honest, I don't see anything wrong with the way this has been handled. It's obviously very upsetting to get your account stolen like that and you have my sympathy but it's a risk you take when you give your password to other people.

There really is no way VeeZ could know if any agreements regarding the account have been made. Also whoever renewed the account paid real money for it and you are basically asking her to take the account away from this person. It sounds like taking the account away without returning the money would mean a lot of potential trouble for her.

Sunchaser

just my little note on this.

If you guys where not going to use the account why would it be wrong then to let one of your former staffers that is going to stay on pi have it?

However i do think she was wrong in doing things without permission.

Just my two cents *shrugs*

Silvanon

Well, what's wrong with it is that 1. she asked and was told that no, she couldn't do what she has, and 2. The real problem for us is that TheKennel name is no longer under our control on PI, and we don't really trust Perf with it anymore.

I've read through the PMs she's been sending people, and she's been exceptionally rude to people (beligerent and threatening when they put a bid on a pony that she felt was too low) without identifying that she doesn't represent the whole of the Kennel.

YourLoveOnly

Which is probably why the mods don't feel the need to do something about it ;)
TheKennel getting a bad name sounds like something they want, right?
Especially if it's gonna prevent people from leaving PI and coming to secundi.

Neocridders

Maybe, if Garney still has the account subbed to her and Perf never noticed these support ticket information things, you should make a PM to the old mailing list explaining that the Kennel is no longer on PI, and this account has possibly been hacked (even thought it quite obviously was hacked)
Or make a thread for the Kennel adoptable, even if it is not allowed on PI (the adoptable itself is not being shown or sold, so it should not be too big of a deal, right?)
And then, post from Garney's own account (and confirm this is her speaking)

I feel that Perf was wrong to do that, since it was not her own account to use, but I understand the Mod's reasoning. I think the Mods had nothing they could have done, except a bit more research (and, well, I hate to be mean, but I don't think the Mods always care to do that when they can avoid it).
Well, I think it perf paid money for the renewal, she should have a right to the account, but it was really wrong for her to take it and renew it when it was an obvious no.
It is really her own fault for renewing an account she did not own, though.

I don't think you should PM her yet, because then she will immediately unsub you. As an Admin here, though can't you see her password? Maybe she is using the same password as both? And if not, if her email is a webbased email, maybe the password is also used for her email, and you could check and send the password to her email and if that works, change the password immediately.
And the email.

I know that sounds a little... evil and a bit immoral, but I am just shooting ideas.
I hope you get your account back <3

Goddesss

I am an admin for a site and usually you can not see the password.  You can change it but only see the little dots.

Neocridders

Tribe

This here just shows me how childish that site is. I mean you know they are doing this because of who you guys are. I garuntee if this was some big shot mod over there theyd get it fixed pronto! I mean really just WOW

Neocridders

Well, a mod would probably have mod powers and anyone who took that account would be stopped immediately before any damage could be done.

Of course, as it was still the mod's fault, they would not get any blame, probably a smack on the hand and then a little bit of wisdom told, nothing more. But who knows. I like to think better than that, of course. I like to think the mods are not going to have that happen.

Of course, I sort of imagine any user, who is popular yet had no mod powers, they would show them more helpfulness. Not really because they were popular, but because the PI vs. TheKennel thing was a bit rediculous, and I don't think they are exactly thrilled to have you on PI still.

Tribe

Thats more to what i meant, they seem though to shelter and protect thier mods more then the actual "common" pi user. It drives me mad..i dont know i just really loathe that site and the people who run it for how they run it..dang

Wolfs Fang

I agree with TheLeet/Neocridders. Maybe the best thing to do would be to try and guess the password like Neocridders said, and once you had gotten the account back, maybe you could possibly refund the renewal cost to Perf (or whoever it was). What she did was wrong, and it really makes me angry that people could just steal an account like that. But the fact that she actually PAID for a renewal of the account makes the account partially hers. :/ And by giving the password of an account to someone, it's basically also giving them joint ownership of the account. You have to go completely by the honor system when sharing account passwords, and unfortunately some people can't be trusted.

~Fang
~~

Silvanon

Well, first off, none of us are rich enough to be able to afford refunding people who randomly feel like renewing accounts we didn't ask them to renew.  As far as renewing the account making it partly her's....that's pretty scary if you consider that PI allows anyone to renew any account that they happen to have listed as a contact.  Does that mean I can add someone to my contact list, renew their account, and then demand its resources as it's now "mine"?

For that reason I really disagree with the idea that we should have to refund Perf, and I also really disagree with the idea that her paying for the account made it hers.

The agrument that an account belongs to whoever has the password to access it also has its problems, as it gives no leeway for hackers, or for people who were temporarily given a password but to whom the original owner did not intend to transfer ownership (think pony-sitters and adoptable workers.)  However, it is an easy out for PI, and since they've established no other way to verify account ownership, I suppose it stands.

What I'm really trying to communicate here is
1. a warning about PI's account ownership stance, for other people who were considering pony-sitters or shared-account adoptable workers
2. share the facts about Perf's actions, as it may be information some people might like to consider in deciding on future transactions with her and
3. most importantly, inform everyone that no, TheKennel has not returned to PI, and that interactions with that account do not constitute interactions with us.

PonyMama

it is sad of course, but Garney and Taru and Sil have good names here and here matters more, so I say fine take it, but you won't receive the respect you think you might get.

And thanks for the pm on PI about it, that will light a fire under their butt.

MorbidKitsune

=/ I hate to say it, but PI's ADMINS are really nothing but greedy and lazy sometimes -.- A user was kind enough to pay for a sub of mine. She accidentally sent it to an inactive account. Inactive for 6+ months.

What did they tell her? They would need 'confirmation' from the person saying that it was okay to switch the renewal. On an inactive account.

It took tooth and nail plus two weeks to actually even get them to finally switch it over.

Let this be a warning on if you renew your account! If you send it tot he wrong place, they most likely will not switch it for you!

But besides that- That is pretty low. Will there be any action taken on here with her, if it actually is Perf doing this?

O' pitiful Shadow Bound In Darkness... Want to try dying this once?

springacres

I hate to say it, but this is why I don't use account-sitters.  Or trainers, for that matter - a friend of mine had paid someone to train her pony, only to have said user disappear for two years.  Fortunately the user did return eventually and my friend got the pony back...but she was lucky.

Wolfs Fang

The situation with the TheKennel account is a really weird one.  :-\ It's not all-out hacking. The password to the account was given to her. And there is a clear warning in PI's manual against giving out passwords to other users. Sure, giving out passwords is not completely banned, but last time I checked the policy was "Do so at your own risk." You took the risk, and someone took the account. It wasn't a very nice thing for Perf (or whoever it was) to do, but even so...

Quote from: Silvanon on March 11, 2010, 06:46:52 PM
As far as renewing the account making it partly her's....that's pretty scary if you consider that PI allows anyone to renew any account that they happen to have listed as a contact.  Does that mean I can add someone to my contact list, renew their account, and then demand its resources as it's now "mine"?

No, it wouldn't. It all depends on the circumstances. This is an out-of the ordinary situation.

The agrument that an account belongs to whoever has the password to access it also has its problems, as it gives no leeway for hackers, or for people who were temporarily given a password but to whom the original owner did not intend to transfer ownership (think pony-sitters and adoptable workers.)  However, it is an easy out for PI, and since they've established no other way to verify account ownership, I suppose it stands.
As I said before, PI openly discourages giving the password to an account to anyone.  If you did, and the account got hacked, there's really no one to blame but yourself.  :-\ Sorry if that sounds harsh, but it's true.

~Fang
~~

Silvanon

1. a warning about PI's account ownership stance, for other people who were considering pony-sitters or shared-account adoptable workers
2. share the facts about Perf's actions, as it may be information some people might like to consider in deciding on future transactions with her and
3. most importantly, inform everyone that no, TheKennel has not returned to PI, and that interactions with that account do not constitute interactions with us.

indigowulf

I 100% disagree that anyone should be refunded. I mean, here at my house, we have a playstation 3. That means the playstation 2 never gets used. Now, if someone I used to trust, and play ps2 games with together broke into my home and took my ps2, but left $50 behind.. I'd call the police!

The difference is, the cops wouldnt say, "sorry, they left money, and you used to play together. We cant be certain who the console really belongs to."

But to complete my original point, if the cops did catch this person, and recovered my property for me, in no way shape or form would I feel obligated to return thier $50.

On the flip side of this coin, sharing a password is kinda like giving them a key- it can bite you in the netherparts if the person isnt who you thought they were, and makes it harder to prove things. It still doesnt make it right. If you lent a friend a key and let them stay at your place for a while when they were between homes or something, that doesn't give them the right to pawn your stuff while you're at work, which is basically what happened.

Wolfs Fang

Quote from: Silvanon on March 11, 2010, 07:50:04 PM

I'm sorry that I missed your point; I didn't mean to argue or anything. I was just trying to point out what I think might be the reasons why the PI MODs won't help you get back the account. I'm so pro-PI it's almost scary- if there was concrete proof that the PI staff got together at secret evil meetings to boil live bunnies or something, I'd probably still try to defend them. :P

Anyway, good luck on getting the account back. I hope everything works out!  :)

~Fang
~~

Rekka

I'm aware you've already posted your point. I get that. And maybe I'll regret posting.... nah, I don't think so. Let it begin.

I'll preface this by saying this post is directed toward the general public, not to a specific user.

I'm not here to say whether I thought Perf was right or wrong in doing what she's done. What I can't stand anymore is the elitist attitude I see on these boards.

PI is stupid! PI is evil! Oh my god, PI stole my fruity pebbles!

Yeah, dead sparkly pony has been beaten, and a small bit of it is justified. PI's sheath fiasco was handled poorly, to say the least. I did everything within my very limited power to fight with that rule and all I managed was a (slightly) more concrete definition of what is and what is not acceptable. I never thought anything was wrong with the way male adoptables were before and I thought it was completely unfair to have it enforced on people who had not been warned that they were breaking an unspoken rule.

PI made an error, yes. But to call the Admin greedy or intentionally unhelpful? Ha, no. I'm not going to sit back here and let THAT go without a couple words.

You, the Kennel Staff, made an error which the admin should not be expected to fix. You are the ones who gave the password to multiple people. You are the ones who did not change it. You left PonyIsland and all your most loyal followers are here with you... and you care what goes on in PI now? What exactly is the motive here?  Why should PI be expected to compensate for your negligence?

They shouldn't. They're not choosing to be "unhelpful" because they hate you. They're doing that because they would not make such a concession for anyone. You agreed to joint ownership of an account. They cannot be expected to say "Well ok, we think this guy's the one who should have it!" and fork it over.

Instead of flipping out over it, try asking Perf to change the name of the account. She paid for it, and if you asked nicely, I'm reasonably sure she would have been willing to rename the account. Which I will reiterate, you are not using... and she has paid for. But by now, frankly I wouldn't blame her if she didn't, because you've done a fair job of making her out to be the enemy here, when it is my understanding from outside sources that she was not outright denied the ability to do this. And if any of The Kennel staff really wanted to keep her from commandeering the account, it would've been as simple as having [insert proper person here] change the password. A long time ago.

As to PI refunding Perf's money... yeah, no, that doesn't fly. There is no reason that they should, because  Perf did not hack anything. As far as they're concerned, her ownership is pretty legit. It wasn't as though anyone took measures to keep her out, or she sat there guessing passwords so she could conduct her nefarious takeover of the account.

I realize that what I say is probably largely falling on blind eyes. It is my impression that many of you don't give a rat's foot about PI's side of things. You won't see it because you don't want to. But come on... it's done, it's over with. There is no comparison between Secundi and PI. They're completely different. PonyIsland is not out to get you, and Secundi is not a "refuge".  Just because PonyIsland is not making exceptions for you does not mean they think you're the gum on the bottom of their shoes.

They're doing the kind of thing you can expect of a business with thousands of customers. They cannot, and should not be expected to compensate for errors that are not their fault. This did not happen through error of PI coding, or a compromised security system.

So go ahead. Feel free to pick at them for the things they actually did do wrong, but take a moment to dismount your high horse and quit calling them stupid for things beyond their realm of jurisdiction.

Silvanon

Quote from: Silvanon on March 11, 2010, 07:50:04 PM

Shall simply add please don't try to attribute to Kennel staff the comments of anyone else in this thread.  I don't recall calling anyone any names, or asking for additional help getting the account back, or anything else along those lines.

Wolfs Fang

@Rekka: Agreed. I've maintained the stance all along that PI's MODs/ADMIN aren't out to get anyone, or "childish" or "stupid".  :-\ I think they're simply trying to do their job. Sure, they may have made have overreacted to some stuff in the past, and they sometimes make mistakes, but really... does that mean that they're out to get anyone? No. They're doing their job. I can't blame them for that.

I'm not trying to attack anyone here; I just want to express my views. And this isn't directed to any user in particular.

~Fang
~~

indigowulf

1 tiny little side point- Rekka, nobody ever suggested that PI would reimburse anyone for the money paid for the account. PI asked thekennel if THEY would reimburse Perf if they could prove ownership. Which, to me, seems completely backwards- if your car is stolen because you forgot the keys in the car- then the police recover you car, you dont have to *pay for the gas the thief put in the tank*. No matter how much they may lecture you about how irresponsable it is to leave the keys in the car, they would never dream of asking you to pay for the gas.

Shadowphyr

Maybe I'm the only one seeing this, but I suddenly feel a necessity to say something on this.  I have to agree with Rekka, so let me throw a few cents in that I'm sure none of you will actually care about.

From what I understood, the Kennel was no longer going to be present on PI.  Period.  Following the entire fiasco following the realistic adoptable situation, it was made abundantly clear that there was no interest in carrying on the Kennel, or any of its affiliates, further on PI.  In addition to, I also believe that you, Garney, had no desire to even continue on PI because of it.  So in lieu of that, I have to ask....why do you even care what happened to the account?

Okay okay.  I can see maybe you getting upset about an account you originally set up for whatever purpose, so it gives you a sense of ownership.  However, from the moment you made that account a shared account, giving the password to all the staff involved, you gave up all right to exclusive ownership to the account.  From the moment you handed out the password to the rest of the staff to make it a shared account, wherein the account belonged to all staff.  I fail to see how this was any fault of PI's management when you willingly gave up sole rights to the account.

Furthermore, such an action left the account open to all prior staff still remaining on PI to maintain access unless you took preventative measures which, judging by what has happened here, you also failed to follow through with.  After carelessly handing out the password to the account to people you felt you could "trust", you also left PI without so much as changing the password yourself.  How is that PI's fault?  How is it the fault of the ADMIN OR MODs or PI that you left without so much as changed the one key access to the account yourself before leaving?

Of course they can't do anything.  There's so many alternative IPs logging into that account that they can't even begin to possible calculate who the "original, sole owner" of the account is because while it may have an originating point, the account was never, and has never, been handled under a sole person's access.  Is that the fault of PI? 

The only lesson I'm taking from all of this is not that I should never trust the people I hand the password to my account to, nor is that I condemn somebody who mistakenly thought it was okay to renew the account and use it for personal gain (despite being told "no" for a separate, unrelated account).  The only lesson I'm taking out of this entire thing is:  If I create a shared account on PI for my staff, and then decide to abandon the site on which it was made for whatever reason, I better change the password on the shared account to protect whatever I have deemed as "mine" upon my permanent departure.

So now I have to ask:  Why didn't you do that?  And why is it suddenly now PI's fault for not re-compensating you for a loss you're now taking from something you could have prevented from the very beginning simply by making it impossible for previous staff to access the account to begin with?  And honestly....why do you care?

Rekka

@Indigowulf
Whoops, yeah, I got it now. Either way, I don't feel that anyone should be reimbursed for anything. The way I understand it, Perf paid for an account that no one was using anyway. Since The Kennel staff pretty much left PI, then no, they should not be paying Perf anything.

I maintain that the best and most simple solution here is to drop it, ask Perf to change the name of the account, and if Garney or another staff member has another sub, rename that sub to The Kennel and let that be the end of it.

@Silvanon
I apologize if it sounded like I was putting words in the staff's mouth. My post is rather unorganized and my lack of direction can make it ambiguous. Mostly, what I am getting at is that every time I come to the boards here, I see some sort of outright declaration of "PI is stupid!"
And I'd have to be fairly dense not to notice that it's Kennel fans who comprise most of this opinion. For good enough reason, I might add.

It's just gotten old, and although I'm all for placing blame where it's meant to be, I have just grown tired of everything PI does being cast in a negative light by people who are sore about an entirely different issue committed in the past.

Silvanon

*shrugs*  So, make a "PI is great!" thread?  It's not like there's a rule against such threads, it's just that no one's made one.

Tribe

Silv it may be best to lock this thread. Just so it dosnt end in a flame, i know im quite frusterated and having a time trying to bite my tounge about things said in here that are really not needed. I dont see why if you dont like secundi you would join just to defend pi. We dont join to defend secundi on pi..matter of fact i have a feeling a thread on secundi would be deleted over there. Or maybe just delete the posts that arent relvant to the actual thread itself? Sorry i just hate to see bad things said about this site because really its just beyond great.

Wolfs Fang

Quote from: Hunni on March 11, 2010, 10:40:55 PM
Silv it may be best to lock this thread. Just so it dosnt end in a flame, i know im quite frusterated and having a time trying to bite my tounge about things said in here that are really not needed. I dont see why if you dont like secundi you would join just to defend pi. We dont join to defend secundi on pi..matter of fact i have a feeling a thread on secundi would be deleted over there. Or maybe just delete the posts that arent relvant to the actual thread itself? Sorry i just hate to see bad things said about this site because really its just beyond great.

Again, I'd like to say that I don't want to offend anyone. But I have an opinion, and I have the right to express it. Why should this thread be locked? Some people say that Secundi is the only place where they can come to express their opinions about PI... Don't you think it would be a bit ironic if people weren't allowed to post our opinions about Secundi on here? Doing so would make Secundi no better than some people say PI is. :-\ And so far, there hasn't been any over-the-top bashing, just civil debate. And I agree, Secundi is a great site. However, I haven't seen any of the same degree of bashing about Secundi as I have seen about PI. If I posted something about how people on Secundi are horrible/unfair/stupid, then I'd instantly get bashed. But somehow it's okay for people on Secundi to say the same things about people on PI.  :-\
EDIT: And I'd also like to say that I didn't join Secundi just so I could defend PI. No. I joined because I like some of the adoptables on this site. I have just as much a right to post my opinions as anyone else.
~Fang
~~

Babystarz

I'm so glad I've grown a thick skin over the years, because some of the comments here are the most despicable that I've seen in a while regarding myself and the rest of the MOD team.

WE CANNOT ACCESS ANYONE'S ACCOUNT ON PI. WE CANNOT CHANGE A PASSWORD, OR AN EMAIL ADDRESS, OR ANY OTHER INFORMATION ABOUT AN ACCOUNT. We certainly cannot transfer the ownership of an account.

This was already stated in the screen-shots provided, but I'm going to assume it was missed in an overzealous level of excitement regarding the witch burning.

Tribe

Wasnt really saying that towards you fang, ive seen you around lot you never have bad mouthed anyone or anything. Your posts arent really bad at all your stating your thoughts at most and saying both ends have wronged.

Edit: and babystarz i actually was giving you kudos, you seemed to be the one to help actually >.>

indigowulf

well, it has the danger of becoming a "taste great" "less filling" type thing, where both sides could begin just yelling thier side without any productive conversation taking place, aka flame war. I personally dont feel it has reached that point, I think people are, for the most part, being suprisingly mature. but I see the concern Hunni has.

I agree, whoever has the account at the very least should be required to change the name. At this point, its kinda identity theft, kinda defamation, kinda pagerism. TheKennel may not be a trademark or copyright, but they have published works under thier name, and this person is without a doubt not concered about preserving the reputation of the account who's name she is corrosponding with other people from.

Can you guys still get in and change the name? It would be funny as anything if you changed the name of the account to something like "accounthijacker" and they'd be stuck with it for 6 months and unable to pretend to be you! then if they changed it back, you could threaten some sort of legal action I bet. THAT may turn some heads. Copyright the name/concept so you have legal standing.

Tribe

Hrmm indigo that would be some idea i must say lol but i think you have to have a password to change the name :{

I hope i havnt been immature in what ive said, it just perturbs me because really i do see pi playing favorites but that could just be what i see and its my opinion.

red_uni387

Quote from: Silvanon on March 11, 2010, 03:25:02 PM
Well, what's wrong with it is that 1. she asked and was told that no, she couldn't do what she has, and 2. The real problem for us is that TheKennel name is no longer under our control on PI, and we don't really trust Perf with it anymore.

I've read through the PMs she's been sending people, and she's been exceptionally rude to people (beligerent and threatening when they put a bid on a pony that she felt was too low) without identifying that she doesn't represent the whole of the Kennel.

This is what I feel is crossing waaaaay past the line. You guys have stated that PI doesn't and can't know who the original owner is, but why does she need to be rude to those trying to buy ponies? She was part of the kennel's staff, why try to make them look bad? I just don't get it....

Babystarz

Was it ever reported? My guess is not, based on what has been written about this, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

If it was reported, there is no way for anyone without our MOD interface to know if an account was banned or warned, so I don't see where anyone is getting off claiming that we're giving anyone special treatment. We don't do that.

Wolfs Fang

Quote from: Hunni on March 11, 2010, 11:02:01 PM
Wasnt really saying that towards you fang, ive seen you around lot you never have bad mouthed anyone or anything. Your posts arent really bad at all your stating your thoughts at most and saying both ends have wronged.

Edit: and babystarz i actually was giving you kudos, you seemed to be the one to help actually >.>

Actually, I have been quite nasty to others in a previous thread about PI, and I said some things that I now regret. But I'm trying not to repeat that.  :-[

Quote from: red_uni387 on March 11, 2010, 11:12:24 PM
Quote from: Silvanon on March 11, 2010, 03:25:02 PM

This is what I feel is crossing waaaaay past the line. You guys have stated that PI doesn't and can't know who the original owner is, but why does she need to be rude to those trying to buy ponies? She was part of the kennel's staff, why try to make them look bad? I just don't get it....
She may not be trying to be rude; and I don't think she's purposely trying to make TheKennel look bad. :-\ She probably considers the account her own now, and is responding to low bids the same way she would on her regular account.

~Fang
~~

Sparki

To all those saying "why do you care if you're not on PI", it's the same reason I would care if someone was posting and making transactions under my name or my adoptable's name.

They may no longer be active on that website, but it's not really a stretch to believe they'd prefer to keep the name of their adoptable clear. This is especially true if someone is sending out less-than-nice PMs out of that account. On top of that, it confuses people as to if the adoptable is there or not, so the reason they would care despite not conducting business there is pretty obvious.
...its persistent silence and outstretched arms horrified and comforted us at the same time.

Fwuffly

Could the accounts name be changed? (if not by admin by Garney if she still has access)