News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

`\Legends/` - The First Five

Started by Legends, November 19, 2013, 08:30:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Legends

`\Legends/`

Some say Nostradamus marked the end of the world in 1999. Others claimed that year would be our last thanks to our dependence on technology, which Y2K would wipe out. 2012 was hallmarked as an end to the Mayan calender, and perhaps to our entire way of life. Throughout history, many have claimed to know when a great change would take place that would shake our world.

But none of them got it right, because the world's ending began on the night of November 19, 2013. With five eggs.

Legends

The European Egg

Somewhere in Europe a pale blue egg has appeared on a pedestal of stone, its exact location unknown. No one is searching for it, no one knows it even exists. But if you happen to be somewhere in Europe this week, you might just stumble upon it. If you do, I advise you to take it with you. Disastrous things could happen if it hatches alone.

Post a picture of a known location somewhere in Europe and describe what you would see if you searched it, or why you think it's special and worthy of notice. It can be a tourist location or just a meaningful city/building/landmark/etc.

~ ~ ~

The Brazilian Egg

A bauble of such exotic hue is just another grain of sand amongst many in the Brazilian Rain Forest. If you happen to be in Brazil any time soon, a trip to the rain forest might be in your favor. But be warned, this egg has a guardian. One of the creatures that calls this forest its home has stayed near the egg day and night since its appearance.

To take this egg home, you must identify and track this guardian. Post one picture of a Brazilian rain forest animal and the first person who I see to be tracking the right creature will follow it to its prize. If someone before you posts the animal you were going to post, I would suggest picking another animal since there is only one right answer.

~ ~ ~

The Jamaican Egg

A sea-colored egg washed up on the golden sands of this small island nation. It was picked up by a beachcomber, a man who patrols the sands looking for valuable items that have come ashore. He is a man who values entertainment, and will hand over the egg to one who beats him in a dice game.

Any person who approaches this man, he will allow that person to roll his precious 100-sided dice, but only once. With a knowing smirk he will record your roll. In one week's time, the person who has rolled the highest number of them all may return to his beachside home and he will give you the egg.

~ ~ ~

The Chinese Egg

In China, a elderly scholar has stumbled upon the egg while on a meditation walk. Upon visiting him in his temple, he will tell you that he had a dream showing himself passing the egg on to another person, one who is worthy to raise the being that will come forth from within.

To prove to him your worth, share with him the most fascinating piece of trivia you can find. The one person who can share a piece of knowledge with him that even he did not know will be allowed to take the egg from his temple. As he is an elder, please don't exhaust him with a length anecdote. Try to keep your piece of trivia 1-5 sentences at most.

~ ~ ~

The Tundra Egg

In the cold forests of northern Canada a dark stone-colored egg rests in the crack between two boulders, blending in with the harsh environment under a light blanket of snow that has just started to fall. If you want to find the egg in time and bring it back to civilization, you'll need to prepare to face the harsh environment.

The following is a list of items you'll need, with multiple choices for each item. Choose one option from each set. Each set has one 'right' answer. The person who choose the most right options will be the most prepared, and thus will be the one to find the egg first.

Set 1: Who will you take as your only guide?
1. Old Alaskan native
2. An experienced cross country hiker
3. Your spirit animal/intuition

Set 2: What will you use to travel?
A. Snowmobile
B. Dogsled
C. Snowshoes

Set 3: What will light your way?
4. A halogen lantern
5. A traditional oil lantern
6. The northern lights

Set 4: What will you take along to wrap the egg in when you find it?
D. A sealskin parka
E. A down comforter
F. A waterproof tarp

Set 5: How will you defend the egg and your group from wild predators?
7. Fire
8. A rifle
9. Bow and arrow

~ ~ ~

1.) Do not edit your posts for events 2, 3, and 5. Events 1 and 4 (Europe and China) may be edited up until the ending time if you wish to adjust your write-up for those events. (Because of this, you might want to make each event a separate post. Or just keep Events 1 and 4 separate from 2, 3, 5.)

2.) All events end in exactly one week. Winners will be announced then. Nov 26 22:00:00

3.) Everyone can enter each event only once, regardless of accounts.

4.) If you post from a subaccount, please note your main account name in the post.

Kadana Sorano

The Brazilian Egg
I choose to follow the jaguar.

The Jamaican Egg
[blockquote]Rolled 1d100 : 20, total 20[/blockquote]

Will have to enter for the other two a bit later on.  Such pretty eggs, I'm so excited!
Storm Chasers Current Thread: http://www.secundi.net/forum.php?topic=3836.0
Storm Chasers Customs Thread: http://www.secundi.net/forum.php?topic=3691.0
Okibi Stud and RB Service: http://www.secundi.net/forum.php?topic=4266.0
Quinsta Studs Free to Use: http://www.secundi.net/forum.php?topic=4308.0

My Eggs/Pets.. they would appreciate some love :) 

Bunraku

The Tundra Egg

B. Dogsled

6. The northern lights

D. A sealskin parka

9. Bow and arrow

PonyMama

The Tundra Egg

A. Snowmobile

4. A halogen lantern

E. A down comforter

8. A rifle

Saturnalia

The Tundra Egg

1. Old Alaskan native

B. Dogsled

D. A sealskin parka

7. Fire

Kadana Sorano

The Tundra Egg

C. Snowshoes

D. A sealskin parka

9. Bow and arrow

CrystalAngelNeko

The Brazilian Egg

I will follow the Toucan!

The Jamaican Egg
[blockquote]Rolled 1d100 : 39, total 39[/blockquote]

The Tundra Egg

B. Dogsled

6. The northern lights

D. A sealskin parka

9. Bow and arrow

Silvanon

The Jamaican Egg
[blockquote]Rolled 1d100 : 43, total 43[/blockquote]

The Tundra Egg

1. Old Alaskan native

C. Snowshoes

F. A waterproof tarp

7. Fire

PonyMama

The Jamaican Egg

[blockquote]Rolled 1d100 : 73, total 73[/blockquote]

Winged

The Tundra Egg

B. Dogsled

6. The northern lights

F. A waterproof tarp

7. Fire

The Brazilian Egg

Ocelot
Owner of Gliders!

PonyMama

Rosedawn

Rosedawn

Jamaican dice

[blockquote]Rolled 1d100 : 56, total 56[/blockquote]

Rosedawn

Pinkshadow

The European Egg
- The London Eye

I would search each of the 32 glass eyes for the egg, while enjoying the fantastick view of London.
I think the London eye is worthy because it is a gorgeous view you get, when you go up in it, you can see everything, all of London nearly and it is completely safe since it's closed with glass. I never thought much of pariswheels before and i still don't like many of them, but i completely love the London Eye.

The Brazilian Egg
- I will follow the little Arrow-headed Poison Frog

The Jamaican Egg
- [blockquote]Rolled 1d100 : 7, total 7[/blockquote]

The Chinese Egg
- The Danish royal family is probably the oldest uninterrupted European monarchy. It traces back its roots to legendary kings in the Antiquity. Gorm the Old, the first king of the "official line", ruled from 934 C.E.

The Tundra Egg

B. Dogsled

4. A halogen lantern

D. A sealskin parka

7. Fire

Bunraku

The Brazillian Egg
Maned Wolf

The Jamacain Egg
[blockquote]Rolled 1d100 : 88, total 88[/blockquote]

The Chinese Egg
China invented ice cream, and Marco Polo is rumored to have taken the recipe (along with the recipe for noodles) back with him to Europe

sera

The Brazilian Egg
Coati! (Brazilian Aardvark)

The Jamaican Egg
[blockquote]Rolled 1d100 : 34, total 34[/blockquote]

The Tundra Egg
1. Old Alaskan native

C. Snowshoes

D. A sealskin parka

9. Bow and arrow

Rosedawn

Chinese Egg

The 3 Musketeers bar was originally split into three pieces with three different flavors: vanilla, chocolate and strawberry. When the other flavors became harder to come by during World War II, Mars decided to go all chocolate.

Read the full text here: http://mentalfloss.com/article/29639/119-amazing-facts-national-trivia-day#ixzz2lDrodugk
--brought to you by mental_floss!

sera

The European Egg

(photo by Marc Ryckaert)

The Parc du Cinquantenaire, or Jubelpark, is a beautiful, U-shaped complex located within the magnificent city of Brussels in Belgium.  This park has the triumphal arch (pictured above) that celebrates Belgium's 50th anniversary of independence (though it was completed in time for the 75th anniversary! ^.~).  There are also three museums, including a military museum, thus tying back to the original use of the park as a military exercising ground.  This lovely park is a diverse melting pot of history, with a wide variety of attractions and that's why it is worthy of notice!

springacres

Jamaican Egg
[blockquote]Rolled 1d100 : 67, total 67[/blockquote]

Silvanon

The Brazilian Egg

I decide to follow an Amazon Pink River Dolphin.

Scullisto

The European Egg

I searched Grave chamber Pentre Ifan Located east of Fishguard in Wales . This grave chamber is considered the best preserved. Fishguard, follow the A487 to the east, passes through Newport and follow the signs to a small parking lot. From here you can go about five minutes until you reach the grave chamber of five standing stones and rock one of these three stones worn deck plate. Ifan is surrounded by green meadows and offers beautiful panoramic views over Cardigan Bay.

Being the best preserved it was worth a look.

The Tundra Egg

B. Dogsled

6. The northern lights

D. A sealskin parka

9. Bow and arrow

Rosedawn

The European Egg

Once a year, at the winter solstice, the rising sun shines directly along the long passage into the chamber for about 17 minutes and illuminates the chamber floor.[5] Professor M. J. O'Kelly was the first person in modern times to observe this event on 21 December 1967.[28] The sun enters the passage through a specially contrived opening, known as a roofbox, directly above the main entrance. Although solar alignments are not uncommon among passage graves, Newgrange is one of few to contain the additional roofbox feature; (Cairn G at Carrowkeel Megalithic Cemetery is another, and it has been suggested that one can be found at Bryn Celli Ddu.[29]). The alignment is such that although the roofbox is above the passage entrance, the light hits the floor of the inner chamber. Today the first light enters about four minutes after sunrise, but calculations based on the precession of the Earth show that 5,000 years ago first light would have entered exactly at sunrise.[15] The solar alignment at Newgrange is very precise compared to similar phenomena at other passage graves such as Dowth or Maes Howe in the Orkney Islands, off the coast of Scotland. Current-day visitors to Newgrange are treated to a re-enactment of this event through the use of electric lights situated within the tomb. The finale of a Newgrange tour results in every tour member standing inside the tomb where the tour guide then turns off the lights, and lights the light bulb simulating the sun as it would appear on the winter solstice. Anyone visiting the historic site can experience an approximation of the phenomenon any time of year, and is often the highlight of the tour. A lottery is held annually for "tickets" to allow the holder into the tomb to view the actual event. The popularity of this event was the reason a lottery was introduced, and also why the lights were installed.

I spent time in Ireland and Newgrange is one of the most fascinating areas that I got to explore. It is more ancient than even Stonehenge, and many believe that the people who worshipped here. I would make certain to search the sun room first, as it is the most holy and seems to be just the place to find one of these precious eggs. If not there than the lush grounds around.

Rosewood

The Tundra Egg
1. Old Alaskan native
C. Snowshoes
6. The northern lights
D. A sealskin parka
9. Bow and arrow

Will try to come back and enter the others later, when im feeling better.

Arty

Tundra Egg

B. Dogsled

6. The northern lights

D. A sealskin parka

7. Fire

sera

The Chinese Egg
While Africa makes up about 16% of the world's population, fully one quarter of the world's languages are spoken only in Africa.

Saturnalia

The European Egg

The Catacombs of Paris

Rows and rose of skulls and other human bones, stacked from floor to ceiling, greet Saturn's eyes as she searches the Catacombs. Empty eye sockets stare out, but the faces are silent, giving no hints of what they have witnessed.

The Paris catacombs had been mines, and were converted for the use of storing the dead at a time when Paris cemeteries were full to overflowing.  The Catacombs contain roughly six million people, and the bones span many centuries.

--

The Brazilian Egg

I will track the tapir.

--

The Jamaican Egg
[blockquote]Rolled 1d100 : 1, total 1[/blockquote]

Figment

The Brazilian Egg

Golden Lion Tamarin

The Jamaican Egg

[blockquote]Rolled 1d100 : 8, total 8[/blockquote]

The Chinese Egg

The cicada is revered in China as a symbol of life and rebirth. Due to this, the people of China would often place a jade cicada on the mouth of the dead as it was thought to slow the decay of the body and speed the process of rebirth into the next life.

The Tundra Egg

Set 1: 2, an experienced cross-country hiker

Set 2: B, a dogsled

Set 3: 4, a halogen lantern

Set 4: D, a sealskin parka

Set 5: 9, a bow and arrow

Kadana Sorano

The European Egg

I decide to search the Transfagarasan Road.  The Transfagarasan Road is in the Fagaras Mountains in Transylvania, Romania.  With over 50 miles (91 kilometers) total to search, I come prepared with a pack filled with water and energy bars, and my digi cam.  Slipping into a pair of sturdy hiking boots I set out.

Having been opened in 1974, the Transfagarasan is the oldest, and said to be the most spectacular road in Romania.  I'll start in the south near Arges County, and travel north towards Carta.  I make a mental note to check the Balea Waterfall on the way.  OK yes, I just want some pictures, but the egg could be there right?  Even if I don't find the egg, I'll have a lovely hike, and should get some wonderful pictures.

Kadana Sorano

The Chinese Egg

Gallium is a metal which melts on the palm of the hand, due to its low melting point (29.76 °C).

SPO

The European Egg

Searching Hampton Court Palace would be amazing. I would discover ghosts and hidden nooks and crannies where the backdoor politics of old England occurred. I have visited the public areas at Hampton before and had an encounter with one of Henry VIII's unfortunate wives, Catherine Howard. I would explore the blocked areas and discover more of the castle's secrets. This place is special because of everything that happened there. The ghost of Catherine Howard and Sybil Penn walk the halls and send chills down the spines of visitors.

Brazilian Egg

The false coral snake

The Jamaican Egg
This dice roll has been tampered with!
Rolled 1d100 : 61, total 61

The Chinese Egg
Some people are actually afraid of being too happy because they think something tragic is going to happen soon. This is known as Cherophobia.

The Tundra Egg

B. Dogsled

6. The northern lights

D. A sealskin parka

9. Bow and arrow

SPO

It states tampered with as my European image didn't show up. ><

Legends

SkySong

European Egg -

The Old Jewish Cemetary in Prague, Chzech Republic

I think I would be very cautiously searching around, so I would be seeing stone and moss the majority of the time. I might stumble upon a crevice or some other oddity, but I would do my best to avoid digging too deep.

Brazilian Egg -

Harpy Eagle aka Royal-Hawk in Brazil
Jamaican Egg -

[blockquote]Rolled 1d100 : 12, total 12[/blockquote]

Chinese Egg -

All clownfish are born male. If the female in a group of clownfish dies or leaves, the biggest male turns female.

Tundra Egg -

1. Old Alaskan native. I sure as heck don't know how to deal with a Dogsled, so someone will have to, and chances are the Alaskan will know more.
2. Dogsled. If I have to travel for an undetermined amount of time, I don't want to run out of fuel.
3. A halogen lantern. Is usually more sturdy and batteries aren't hard to pack.
4. A sealskin parka. Warmth AND waterproof.
5. Fire. It doesn't run out and most animals are naturally afraid fo it.

Something tells me logic isn't the way to go, but... Eh.
Adoptable threads: None currently ~ Trading thread: N/A ~ Breeding thread

LC Custom Status: Closed
LC Breeding Status: Closed

toffeeca

The Brazillian Egg

The Jamaican Egg
[blockquote]Rolled 1d100 : 52, total 52[/blockquote]

The Chinese Egg
The brains of certain blind individuals who have used echolocation from a very young age can be wired differently from seeing individuals. The primary visual cortexis where the first visual processing takes place, but some echolocators have been shown to use this same visual area to process the echos and "see" the world. However, most echolocators do not have this visual area rewired and use only the hearing parts of the brain to "see" with the echos.

The Tundra Egg

1. Old Alaskan native

B. Dogsled

6. The northern lights

F. A waterproof tarp

7. Fire

Legends

The European Egg

Europe is full of many places of wonder and a wide variety were mentioned here, but few are as dark and somber as the Catacombs of Paris. Although the stony underground paths are lit and clearly marked for the tourists exploring down here, there are still many shadowy nooks and crevices where an egg can be hidden. Saturnalia's diligence as she looks in each one and her bravery as she searches among the dead, rewards her with finding and keeping the pale blue and white egg in the end.

Legends

The Brazilian Egg

A bright red and blue jewel in the air, this macaw circles a particular tree in the rain forest continuously as Rosedawn finally tracks it to this location. Perhaps it is a poor guardian who didn't notice it was being trailed, or perhaps it has led you here on purpose, knowing you were following all along. Regardless, the result is the same. The jewel-like egg sits between the roots of the tree, ready for you to take it home.

The Jamaican Egg

Throughout the week, many islanders and tourists have come to take this beachcomber's test... some in fun, some in deadly seriousness. But in the end, Bunraku has rolled the highest. With a grin, the man hands over the blue and green egg to you.

The Chinese Egg

The scholar has learned many things this week. Facts of all things about the world have been brought to him in his simple sheltered temple, from candy to new facts of his own homeland. But it was the fascinating fact from toffeeca of the wonders of the human mind that has charmed this scholar. Take the pink and brown egg with you.

Legends

The Tundra Egg

Although a guide with knowledge of the land is helpful, your own intuition will be your greatest guide in this mission.

A dogsled or snowmobile is faster, but the egg will be in a small, tight crevice; only snowshoes will take you there.

The northern lights, while beautiful, do not supply enough light to see what you need to see. And those who take a halogen lantern will find that it breaks the moment you get near to your goal...very odd... The oil lantern will light your way.

Sealskin is the way to keep the egg both warm and dry.

Man's invented weapons are powerful indeed, but fire is a predator's natural enemy.

Bunraku - 2
PonyMama - 0
Saturnalia - 3
Kadana - 4
CrystalAngelNeko - 2
Silvanon - 3
Winged - 1
Rosedown - 1
Pinkshadow - 3
sera - 3
Scullisto - 2
Rosewood - 2
Arty - 3
Figment - 1
SPO - 2
Skysong - 2
toffeeca - 1

Kadana's searching has paid off, and the striped egg is now in her possession.

~ ~ ~

All five of the first eggs have now been discovered and are safe with their protectors. They are larger than any bird egg you have ever seen, very heavy, and very warm. There is no indication to you when, if ever, they will hatch. But a rare lunar eclipse is expected next Tuesday night, exactly seven days from now, which is seven days from the moment these five eggs appeared. Perhaps this has meaning.

Keep your eggs safe and care for them for now, and await the eclipse for the next event.

Kadana Sorano

Ohh what a pleasant surprise to wake up to!  I had hoped to find one, but to find my favorite one is amazing :D

Congrats to the rest as well!

*carefully bundles the pretty egg off to find someplace warm and dry to let it rest*

Thank you!

Rosedawn

Yay!!!! Oh I'm so excited!! Grats to the other winners as well!!

So when can we expect these beauties to hatch?

Kadana Sorano

Rose, going by the story blurb at the end of the announcement post, I'd guess somewhere around next Tuesday :)

Silvanon