News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

Using Free Art for Adoptables?

Started by Angella, June 02, 2010, 04:32:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angella

So I am a huge fan of adoptables and I've always wanted to own my own agency, but I'm a terrible artist. There's a website called www.dreslough.com which offers free colored and black/white fantasy art for profit and non-profit uses. The owner lets users edit her images and use them in any way they like as long as they give credit to her. I was wondering if I could use one of her black/white images, color it in, and use it as an adoptable on Secundi? I know Secundi has a strict art theft policy but since the art is meant to be shared, I thought it might be okay as long as I give credit to the real artist. Does anyone know if this is acceptable?

PonyMama

Personally I wouldn't buy them if they were a free for use, it just borders on art theft for me.

If you are wanting to run an adoptable give me a PM and I will see what can be done

Leafy

I'm pretty sure that's not kosher to do :\ And it would be hard to find a market for them since anyone is welcome to go off and get them and color them themselves.

YourLoveOnly

I'm not sure if it's unacceptable, but I don't think people would want them because they could color them theirselves. And in my personal opinion I do find it unfair to ask money for art that everyone can use for free. So I don't have a problem with you running those, but I would have a problem with any paid events. I would be okay with all free events. But the art is not shaded and if you can't shade you'd have to find someone to do that for you and only lose money. If you wanna do that I'm not stopping you, but I think you should run free events only, so basically an adoptie you do for fun and not for any kind of profit.

Angella

Okay, thanks for all the replies. I'll take some online art courses and try to learn how to draw something besides stick figures. :)

sera

You can also purchase lineart from others, or see about running a shop for an established adoptable.  ^^

Angella

Good suggestion sera! Um, not to sound completely ignorant here but how would I do that?

PonyMama

I said you could PM me
I will ask you a few questions and maybe see about lending you one of my shops to work with/help me with 

Angella

Okay thanks! I'll PM you right now.

indigowulf

Yes the definition of a free use art is that you are not allowed to make a profit off it. Sure, SG may be a virtual profit, but as there is no rule against selling SG for real money, that stops that arguement right there. PI doesnt allow it either. They may be goobers on some things, but they pretty much are right on for what's art theft by definition (just not on thier real-use application of such definitions)