News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

Genetics Help, yes another one!

Started by BabyKittenCandy, July 31, 2010, 03:28:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BabyKittenCandy

Ok, Genetics was never my strong point in school and having been out for almost 10 years ive prolly forgotten all i knew once upon a time.

What I would like is some help with getting to grips on the very basics of working out genetics. This could be putting it into very simplistic terms that dont make my brain hurt or a link to a not too complicated page that can do the above. Or possibly, worth though how you would work out the genetics for this Quin:

QuoteBlack, front right Pastern, front left Sock, back left Fetlock, Blaze

In a way I can duplicate even if I dont fully understand it. I have not done anything in the way of horse genetics before and tbh, dont even know what half the coat names mean.

Treat me like a complete noob ^^

And many thanks in advance!

red_uni387

I typed out a long paragraph on my brother's Ipad and it deleted the entire thing -_-
So trying again on his laptop...

you'll need this page: http://www.stable.colbyforkicks.com/genetics.html

notice the letters and colors, those are the code parts for each color. your boy is black, so that's gonna be the only word you look for.

the first heading is base coats, which lists 3 letter combos and only 2 colors. your boy is black, which is next to both EE and Ee. that means he can be either, so you'd write E? as the first part of his genetic code

moving on to the confusing chart, look for the word black. it only shows up once, under the column If EE or Ee and in the row aa. Since you already got the E?, you take the aa as the next part of the code

the next 3 charts are relatively the same. since your boy is black, look under the column if black. then write down the 2 letter combo at the start of that row as the genetic code :)

red_uni387

grey and white are next, and are simple your boy's neither grey nor white, so write down the 2 letter combos that correspond with his color

appy is almost the same as overo. your boy has neither, so you'd write down ll and oo, because those mean he doesn't have the pattern. however, he still carries one of the 3 versions of both genes, so you need to include question marks for those. so after ll would be ?? and after oo would be another ??

inbetween those 2 is tobiano. it's just like the base coats, 3 codes and 2 options. i'm sure you can figure out which one he is :)

flaxen is chestnut only, and your boy is black, so you have no clue if he's got it or not. just fill in the code with ?? until you test with breeding

silver dapple is only on 3 colors, but black is one of them so you know he doesn't have them.

fleabitten is grey only so you don't know either.

and then hopefully you've got your code! sorry if i confused you more, this is just how I figure out codes for my horsies Dx

BabyKittenCandy

So if im writing this down correctly red, his code would be as follows for now?

aa E? cc rr dd gg ww ll ?? tt oo ?? ?? ?? ??

Is that correct?

red_uni387

very close! since silver dapple shows on black and he has none, he'd be 'normal' so you can put zz in his code ^^

aa E? cc rr dd gg ww ll ?? tt oo ?? ?? zz ??

BabyKittenCandy

Ah! Thanks Red. I will try and work my others out and then might ask if you could look them over if thats ok?

red_uni387

that'd be fine, though i'm still a beginner myself so it might be good to post them here too so silent lurkers can triple check :)

BabyKittenCandy

Oki Red, How far off am I with these then? First time ive ever tried to figure genetics out for myself ^^

Anid - Bay (bay totally threw me! no clue, lol)

E?  A?  cc  rr  dd  gg  ww  ll  ??  tt  oo  ??  ??  zz  ??

Ysera - Bay

E?  A?  cc  rr  dd  gg  ww  ll  ??  tt  oo  ??  ??  zz  ??

Unnamed Mare - Brown

E?  At??  cc  rr  dd  gg  ww  ll  ??  tt  oo  ??  ??  zz  ??

Smoke - Bay Splash Overo

E?  A?  cc  rr  dd  gg  ww  ll  ??  tt  Oo  pp  ??  zz  ??

Stormbringer - Black Tobiano

E?  aa  cc  rr  dd  gg  ww  ll  ??  T?  oo  ??  ??  zz  ??

Nadya - Flaxen Chestnut

ee  ??  cc  rr  dd  gg  ww  ll  ??  tt  oo  ??  ff  ??  ??

And the one I had no even less idea on:

Lete - Grey

??  ??  ??  ??  ??  G?  ww  ll  ??  tt  oo  ??  ??  ??  B?

red_uni387

the stable's website is down for some reason, so going off memory x__x

Anid and Ysera are correct except for the AA. Once the site is back up, you can look at the chart and notice there are empty spaces beneath the word bay, but they have corresponding letter codes. That means bay could have any one of those codes. So for now he'd just be A? since they all have A, just different second letters ^^

Brown is a black based coat since it's under the colum if EE or Ee, so her first double letter pairing would be E?. Like with the bay, there's also empty spaces underneath, meaning only the first At is for sure part of her code.

Your clydsdale is also a bay like your first 2 arabians, so he's got the same first 4 letters: E? A?

Stormbringer is only tobiano, so for overo he would have oo. Silver dapple also shows up on black so you can put in zz as well :)

your flaxen mare's code is completely correct!

grey is a tricky one, since it can hide a lot of genes, just like white. so you've got the right idea, putting ?? for the first 5 groupings, cause they're all colors. after that you can fill in ww for white since she's not white, but that's the only one you missed