News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

Large Sized Adoptables-Questions and Concerns

Started by Bunraku, September 26, 2012, 01:08:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bunraku

I've been planning out and making sketches for an adoptable line I'd like to run, however I have a few concerns that I wanted to clear up and garner more information about, mostly to do with the sizes people prefer an adoptable to be vs. how much detail can be seen if its smaller.

The adoptable I am currently working on will be rather large-for size comparison, I'd say a cert size about the same as PI's Into the Woods, and that's about as small as it can get without compromising detail. Some will have smaller certs, but the largest breed will have to be at least that big.

I know however that people have a hard time displaying larger adoptables, or like smaller ones better than something over sized.

My question is, what would you consider TOO big, and what is too small?

What I'm working on is a humanoid/hybred adoptable, I don't want to reveal what type just yet, but a large size would be needed for facial details to be seen along with jewelry and other decorative items.

Thank you for any input you can give!

Solistia

I am a fan of large adoptables. I would say that perhaps as an alternative for people that prefer smaller adoptables, you can have a "mini" image at a smaller percentage (I automatically make my Jeune adoptable at full and also provide a mini version at 33% of the original size for displaying.)

TheLeet

Hmmm.....I'd say anything between 200 and 600 pixels square is a good size for me but that's just personal taste.
Too small and you lose too much detail, too big and it becomes kinda hard to see the image as one, especially if it doesn't all fit on your screen :)

red_uni387

My definition of "too large" would be a picture that creates a little scroll bar on the bottom :) It really depends on the creature, though. I don't think I could imagine FCFC being any larger than it is, or the Elenaria being any smaller XD

Kadana Sorano

I don't remember the dimensions offhand, but I dislike anything I have to scroll to view the whole thing.  If it fits on my screen and doesn't have to scroll left to right, or up and down then it's fine for me.  Just so I can see the entire image all at once, not in sections.

However, I would advise working out a "copy" of each certed version without the cert, in case you ever want to apply for agency status, you will already have saved uncerted copies of everything and it will cut your work load down.

Also, no matter how big you make the certed copy, we can always just use Photobuckets thumbnail codes to show our owned copies off.  I have done this with some of the other adopts I collect.  The thumbnails are usually big enough I can still see the adopt, and they re clickable to see the full size version.
Storm Chasers Current Thread: http://www.secundi.net/forum.php?topic=3836.0
Storm Chasers Customs Thread: http://www.secundi.net/forum.php?topic=3691.0
Okibi Stud and RB Service: http://www.secundi.net/forum.php?topic=4266.0
Quinsta Studs Free to Use: http://www.secundi.net/forum.php?topic=4308.0

My Eggs/Pets.. they would appreciate some love :) 

Pinkshadow

I agree with red_uni287 :)

Dislike alot when images esp if its the adopt image that makes a scroll bar.

Winged

I don't mind a large adoptable, as long as i can see it on my screen without scrolling.
Owner of Gliders!

Wildfilly94

I don't mind biggness, so long as it doesn't create a scroll bar, or if it's so big it cant fit on the screen and I have to scroll down.

Ryuukokoro

I will agree with the majority here, that as long as it doesn't create an issue with scrolling to view the whole image, I'm pretty happy.

I also think it's wise advice to save an uncerted image because any adoptable on Secundi can become an Agency, which will negate the need for certs, and it will save you a lot of time when you go to upload all the critters if you don't have to uncert them all first haha.

Bunraku

Thank you for your imput everyone, I will definitely keep these things in mind when I create the certs and begin actually producing the adoptable. Right now I'm busy sketcing and inking.

About agency status- If my adoptable ever did make agency status, would that mean I couldn't sell it or hold events on other places such as PI or a forum of my own on my own website for it, where certs would be needed?

Pinkshadow

I think you can that.

Atleast some of the agency adopts here still is on PI and such ;)

Ryuukokoro

Quote from: Bunraku on September 28, 2012, 01:30:39 PM
About agency status- If my adoptable ever did make agency status, would that mean I couldn't sell it or hold events on other places such as PI or a forum of my own on my own website for it, where certs would be needed?

I think it would be fine to have the same shop in another location. Giving a shop on Secundi agency status just makes it easier for the shop owner, since trading/naming/breeding/growing/etc is all automated using the website system, and also makes it easier for the shop followers since they have a page to display and organize all their pets of that shop. But there's nothing saying that making an adoptable into an agency gives it exclusive rights only to Secundi. :)

The only issue that might come up is if a person follows the shop in two locations (for example both on Secundi and on PI) then they would have some certed critters and some uncerted critters. But they could just put a link to the critter's Secuni page for displaying, rather than the critter image itself. The page acts like a cert, displaying the critter's name, owner, and additional info. ^_^

Bunraku

Thank you so much for the detailed reply Ryuukokoro, it definitely makes me want to aim for agency status even more if my adoptable is successful ^_^ Using the sites automated system sounds like heaven, especially during breeding season with multiple births.