News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

Sleeping Ocean-Testing The Waters?

Started by Bunraku, October 15, 2012, 04:06:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bunraku

Hello everyone! I'd like to present to you the templates I've been working on for the past several weeks. I've really put my heart and soul into these, so I hope you all like them as much as I do.

For years I've wanted to own and run my own adoptable, and even though I'm not strictly an anime artist, I wanted it to be anime styled in some aspects because I find it visually appealing for human adoptables. Because of that desire, my childhood love for mermaids and the sea has somehow found its way back to me, to become the Sleeping Ocean.

Sleeping Ocean will not just strictly be about mermaids-soon I will template a variety of other creatures from natural to fantasy to join them, but for their debut on Secundi I'd like to begin with what inspired me most, the Siren.

The Siren will be the most customized out of the adoptable line, with a variety of hair styles, eye sets, and clothing to choose from, along with many different mutations. Almost all hair styles, eye sets and mutations are available on both genders. What you see is only a small portion of what I have already available and templated. The male dose not yet have any clothing templated, but he will soon. I'm even considering holding a design contest as a part of their first appearance in generals.

The background they are on at the moment is not the final cert, but a mock up of the feeling I will be going for with the cert. I would do them certless-but unfortunately they need the certs to preserve the appearance of trasparentcy on the fins. However, in case the adoptable makes agency status, you will receive both a certed and non-certed so that you may display them how you wish as I know some people would prefer to show off their adoptables certless.

The first events will take place as soon as I am done working out some minor problems with the template, mostly to do with the order things are in on the master template (So many fins to organize and keep seprate to give the transpatent look! ><) But I'm very excited to do give aways and hold contests ^^

The first events will be free, but I would love a general opinion on the pricing of customs and premades for these, both in secunds and USD.

Thank you everyone!

Winged

I don't normally like humanoid adoptables, but the art for these is lovely! Also i love customizable adoptables with lots of different mutations and styles. Can't wait to see some more of these!
Owner of Gliders!

Bunraku

Thank you for your kind words winged dreams! ^^ For some reason, humaniod adoptables have always been my my favorite, but I've never been able to affoard to buy them for myself any where that I've seen them XD

Luv007

I love the style!!  Very interested for sure!

Bunraku

red_uni387

Solistia

I'm addicted already and the adoptable hasn't even started <3 /loves humanoid adoptables

SGA

I love humanoid adopts, especially ones that aren't "too" chibi-ish.  I would definitely be interested in following these, and look forward to seeing what else you add to the mix.

For pricing, with the customization options you have planned, I'd think they could go for a bit more then normal adopts.  However, I'm afraid I can't help you more then that.  I have enough trouble pricing my own shop lol I always worry and stress on if I charge too little/much *shrug* 
Storm Chasers: Equipping/Training event : http://www.secundi.net/forum.php?topic=6559.0
Storm Chaser's Stat Allocation: http://www.secundi.net/forum.php?topic=8619.0
Storm Chasers: Customs Thread (Closed) : http://www.secundi.net/forum.php?topic=3691.0

SkySong

I absolutely love these guys. Seriously. These will cause me bad grades because I'll be so busy stalking over here. I do hope you're ready for the work load these guys will most likely bring!

I'm a bit stingy, and I'll admit that, but for a simple premade I'd easily pay 50k sg. That may be a bit small for some adopts, but I'm totally cool with you changing the pricing till you find something that works for both you and the customer side of the adopt. :)
Adoptable threads: None currently ~ Trading thread: N/A ~ Breeding thread

LC Custom Status: Closed
LC Breeding Status: Closed

Bunraku

Thank you all for your kind words ^^

SGA-I think I agree with you on that, as they are a bit difficult to color with all of the different template pieces. I'm also not sure of what the SG to USD ratio is, and I don't want to overcharge on USD customs ><;

I was thinking something like 100k for a full custom, but is that running a bit high for Secundi's currency? I don't want the price tag to be so much that someone couldn't obtain a full custom. Maybe I'll have a price listing for different, more elaborate mutations and a lower base price so that those who want a custom can still get one without paying for something more elaborate than they want.

SkySong-Thank you! ^__^ I'm really glad you like them that much XD I'm totally ready for the work and rearing to go, though I'll start small at first and work my way up so that I dont take on more than I can handle.

I think I'll try to adjust the pricing as we go like you said. 50k seems good to me for a premade, but I may lower the price of a simpler coloring to something like 25k? Dose that seem reasonable?

Kahlira

Just adding my I'm going to stalk these to the ring.

And the prices seem good to me who is basically broke xD

SkySong

(SGA is Kadana in disguise. Don't let her fool you lol)

I think the pricing you have set is definitely reasonable. Again, I probably don't speak for everyone else, but if you find that you want to set the prices a little higher than that, I'll still go for them. Most everyone has been around for a while, so quite a few of us have a bit of sg stocked up. (Sorry I can't help you with usd. Maybe $5 for a basic custom or advanced premade?)

Bunraku

Thank you Kahlira XD I honestly didn't expect so many people to like them.

SkySong- Thank you very much for you input on the pricing. $5 sounds reasonable for basic customs as a base price and premades. I think I'll also split things up so that people can add on bits and peices here and there, like additional pieces of jewelry for $1 or something if they'd like to add it to a basic custom, but have something like 2 items that come with the base price of $5 for a basic.

SGA

Quote from: SkySong on October 15, 2012, 08:12:05 PM
(SGA is Kadana in disguise. Don't let her fool you lol)

Foiled!  Darn you Skysong!

hehe seriously though, sorry about that, I am used to everyone knowing who I am.  New faces are nice to see, but I tend to forget that they won;t automatically know me on my alt's.

I've been thinking about another humanoid adopt I used to follow on a different site, I dunno if you've ever played on Ponyisland or not?  There is an adopt shop there called Into The Woods.  They have all sorts of critters etc, but they have this wonderful humanoid line, very customizable.  They seemed to have a very large following, though a lot of folks (including me, sometimes lol) did complain about the prices.  My suggestion would be to look them up, check out their pricing, and use it as a base guideline for where to start with yours.  Then adjust lower/higher as you think/feel is needed.
Storm Chasers: Equipping/Training event : http://www.secundi.net/forum.php?topic=6559.0
Storm Chasers: Customs Thread (Closed) : http://www.secundi.net/forum.php?topic=3691.0

Bunraku

No worries Kadana ^^ I'm sure with time I'll learn to recognize everyone here!

And oh gosh, Into The Woods-I do remember them from back when I played on PI a long time ago, and though I could never affoard them I always admired them. The guardians were absolutely beautiful. Hopefully someday Sleeping Ocean will live up to those standards x.x I remember how popular they were. I'll look them up and see if I can get an idea for a price range on more elaborate customs and how to price separate parts, but I definitely don't want to be as expensive as I recall those being. Thank you for the suggestion! ^^

skysnolimit

Bunraku, although I can't guarantee that I would adopt (time/money/risk of addiction reasons), I just want to say that I am 100% impressed!  Good work and I can't wait to see these around Secundi!

Silvanon

I'll join in too with saying I like them!  Really nice job on them!

Bunraku

Thank you skysnolimit and Silvanon! ^^ I'm really happy so many like them. I can't wait to start a thread in generals <3

I need to template the lines for the babies soon, but I was wondering- would people prefer to see the full mutations on the babies, or have a general fin line with coloration suggestive of what the adult will turn out to be? I only ask because while mutations such as lionfish (seen on the male) Look good to me on the adults, it may seem overwhelming on a baby. Then again, it might be cute to have all of those spiny fins XD What do you guys think?

SGA

I think have the babies "grow into" mutations.  Personally, as a female who has had a baby, I would feel kinda bad about making my female adopts have babies with all those spiny bits.  Child birth is painful enough as it is!  Anyway, the idea just makes me cringe lol

Bunraku

Admittedly I hadn't thought of that aspect Kadana, but you have an incredibly valid point. Ouch X.X

SkySong

I think having adopts grow into mutations would be fun, as well. At the very least, having the mutations less extreme would work as well.

Wildfilly94

All i have to say is OMG I love these!! :D
I'm so excited, cannot wait for them to be released so I can get personas and such :P

Bunraku

Thank you Wildfilly :D I'm really excited to see what kind of customs you guys will get, I love coloring for others.

Wildfilly94

:3 I love coloring for people too, it brings me joy. :)

YourLoveOnly

I'm very happy to see a nice high quality human adoptable. I quite like those myself, most people here don't really seem to love humanoids though so I am very pleased to see these being well received :D Customs sound super neat and get me very excited ;D

I'd prefer babies with mutations, even if it's just a less extreme version of them, but I hate it when there's a baby you love and then it grows up and shows new stuff and suddenly looks different. Especially when you have to pick between multiple offspring before growing and then end up regretting the choice.

Pinkshadow

Winged

I agree with YLO, when possible i prefer to see most aspects of the baby :) But i also prefer the idea of much smaller mutations.
Owner of Gliders!

Bunraku

One thing I wont be doing is  having people choose which babies to keep (Unless of course they promise a trade to someone or use a baby as a fee for a breeding to someone else-in that case you'd be obligated to fulfill the trade between yourself and the other person) But if you bred the babies and have no outstanding obligations to anyone else, regardless of how many there are, you'll get to keep them without having to give any away unless you want to ^^ I know how hard it is to choose babies, so I didn't want to do that with this adoptable!

But I think I'm leaning towards making muted versions of the mutations for the babies. Its more work and makes for a bigger template-but the babies template is already coming along so nicely that I find myself really wanting to see and color the other mutations on it. I'll be making two baby poses to keep twin births interesting.

Another thing I'll be doing with your owners folder is having a sub folder for certed babies so that you can always go back and look at them if you want to. I'm the kind of person that always likes to go back and look at the babies from past breeding seasons, so I thought this option would be good.

One thing I wont be doing however is templating all of the hair styles onto the babies-there is already around 8 hairs styles for the adults and I feel as though it would be too much for a baby to have all that hair. So I'll be making a general male and female hair for the babies, but possibly have a breeding item available for you to choose what hair style will appear on the offspring when it becomes an adult?

Winged

That sounds great! I love looking back to see baby images too, when there's a cute baby line :)
That idea for hair on the baby sounds fine to me, that would be way too much work for you!
Owner of Gliders!

SGA

Quote from: Bunraku on October 17, 2012, 07:29:08 AM
One thing I wont be doing is  having people choose which babies to keep (Unless of course they promise a trade to someone or use a baby as a fee for a breeding to someone else-in that case you'd be obligated to fulfill the trade between yourself and the other person) But if you bred the babies and have no outstanding obligations to anyone else, regardless of how many there are, you'll get to keep them without having to give any away unless you want to ^^ I know how hard it is to choose babies, so I didn't want to do that with this adoptable!

I love you for that! lol

Bunraku

And the baby lines are finished! At least for this particular pose. I'll template a second pose soon. The example is a male, but the template can be used for male or female children. I opted to make the babies look like a 5 year old and to have an egg stage come before them, suggesting they've aged so they show their mutations. It will also give me more time to color babies and adults. The mutation shown is the "normal" mermaid fins.

Ravvana

All three are beautiful! :) I'm definitely interested in getting some of my human characters put on well, human lines, instead of morphing them into animals all the time XD

Bunraku

Thank you so much Ravvana! ^^ It'll be fun to do customs of people's characters, its always interesting to see what others create.

Wildfilly94

Such a cute baby! I love those eyes <3

This is just making me crave customs SO bad right now :O

Bunraku

Thank you wild :D I can't wait until the templates are finalized and I can start with customs and giveaways.

Wildfilly94

Same <3
I will be hoarding slots.. :O
Atleast.. 7. XD

Bunraku

7?! XD You are more than welcome to them <3

Did you see your finished bag item yet in your thread btw? ^^

Wildfilly94

Yeay!

2 for me and the boyfriend, 1 for my kitty, 1 for my main rp character, and 3 for these goddess characters I found in books and created into my own. :P

And yes I did, and I see everyone else did too XD Yeay your getting business! :D
I commented in there for you, but I'll say it gain here, its so cute and perfect and ahh! I love it!

Bunraku

Those sound like fun X3 I cant wait to do them all. Hopefully I'll have everything done soon and be ready.

Thank you! I keep saying it, but I'm really glad you like them ^_^

Wildfilly94

:DD I need secundi to send me a text when the first thread is up.. XD

And hehe, I do. They are wonderful!

Bunraku

Oh wow you get on here on a phone? How big is your screen anyway? XD

And here is a sample of a female baby everyone! Female babies will come with a standard frilly shirt colored however it will match her/how the adults clothing is colored, but it will not be an indication of the type of shirt used on the adult female.

Wildfilly94

Yeah, I get on here on my phone. :P Its (I think) 3-4 inches long, and about 2 inches wide. I have to zoom in, but it works fine enough when theres an event I cant miss.

And aww shes so cute!

SGA

The child stage looks great Bun :)

And something I didn't notice in the adult cert, but see in the child (I see now it is in the adult as well lol) I love the "shadow" image of an adult Mer on the cert.  On the child cert, it kinda seems like they are being watched over lol

Bunraku

I was wondering if anyone would notice that Shadow :D Because you would be right -they are being watched over by someone you will meet in the set up of the story of the adoptable :3

Winged

I liked the shadows of fish and the mer, but didn't realise that it was watching over them xD
Owner of Gliders!

Wildfilly94