News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

Started by indigowulf, December 27, 2009, 07:08:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

indigowulf

OMG I dont want to give any spoilers, but WOW!!

I went with friends to watch this movie in IMAX 3D and I tell you, it was worth every penny! Ive heard they are charging $20 to see it in some cities. I gotta say, if you pay that much, you're not getting ripped off.

The story was great. the romance was heart-tugging. the characters were real and vivid. they designed a world that we all wanted to go live in. there were a couple of predictable moments, but that was forgivable.. they kinda had to be predictable for the main character to figure them out. and the effects.. omg the effects! I had coolduff on my left, and fean77 on my right, and fean kept saying "wow" over and over. And he's like a stoic in public lol, he never shows anything but his "cool" side.

please dont put spoilers in this thread, but discuss if you liked it, or if you plan to see it?

JBGarrison72

I would just like to add... "wow."  :-X
- Jeffrey Boyd Garrison

CutieePiee

I saw it last night. AMAZING. I didn't see it in 3D but I bet that would've been awesome. The message of the story was simple, but the movie itself was so creative. And the graphics... Oh, it was SO good. :D

Midnight Phantom

saw it the second day it came out, it's -very- nice  ^.^

Garney

Fern Gully with shiny graphics. A -really long- Fern Gully. Without the catchy singing.

For as long as the movie is, they could have gone into a little more depth about some of the supporting characters. Grace could have done with three more minutes, just a flashback or two to the schools or something to make those parts make more sense. Hell, Jake could have reviewed one or two of -her- video logs if they didn't want to deviate too much from his 'storyteller' point of view.

The message was too simple, too black and white and predictable. With that much time and money you could do -so- much more with a world like that.

JBGarrison72

Garney, I would tend to agree that the plot and supporting elements were a bit thin and your suggestions for development would have gone a long way toward sating a more sophisticated audience (most movies of this sort realize that the common denominator is mighty low)... but did you see those tracer rounds flyin' everywhere? /drool  :D *gets hypnotised as he stares longingly at the pretty automatic weapons*
- Jeffrey Boyd Garrison

indigowulf

Roommate travis rebuttles the Grace needing more screen time with this:

"If they did that, I would have been upset, feeling like it was just another gorrillas in the mist. And you dont go to james cameron to see a deep intellectual movie that changes your life, you go to a james cameron movie to see something fun for all ages." then he goes on to ramble for 10 minutes about terminator lol.

JBGarrison72

Yes, but I think everyone is clearly missing the point.... 3D TRACER ROUNDS! heheheh

EDIT: Wow, I just noticed that this is my 77th post.  Which brings me to my other point: how come coolduff doesn't just log into the forum and defend "The James Cameron Effect" point by point.  It's not fair that only Indy gets to hear it and he needs to get his post count up anyhow.  :P
- Jeffrey Boyd Garrison

indigowulf

travis does not equal coolduff. pete equals coolduff. travis equals no account and not interested in cuteness. dorkenheimer.

JBGarrison72

Yeah yeah, I got confused because I wasn't reading closely enough.  :P
- Jeffrey Boyd Garrison

Garney

Rebuttal for the James Cameron argument: The Abyss

(my favorite movie EVER)

As for the shiny graphics, yes, they were shiny, very shiny, I won't argue that. I even mentioned them. And if movies were just about making you go 'ooh' and 'aah' for three hours, then fine. But no, movies are expensive, especially something like this. A groundbreaker - such as this one is with so many new techs being used - deserved a powerful punch of a story.

But no movie is perfect, and that's fine.

Though a friend did bring up to me an excellent point. As I was bemoaning the lack of character development for all but the main two, she mentioned that the WORLD itself was a character, and it all clicked into place for me. They developed THAT character, the character of the world, SUPERBLY. And thus I forgive them.

JBGarrison72

Garney, your friend has astounding insight, kudos and thanks for sharing that!  The world as a character syncs with me also.
- Jeffrey Boyd Garrison