News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

Misplaced's Think Tank

Started by Misplaced, February 21, 2013, 03:53:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Misplaced

Hi guys. I'm new, but I'm very acquainted with the idea of adoptables/cyberpets and have been involved in and out for years. It's something I keep going back to, I really like designing creatures and enjoying them with other people. I think it will be fun to do as a warmup or in between large paintings.
I already have a first market post planned with my first creature I'm going to introduce. But I didn't want to start out with that because it's done in the voice of a sleazy eccentric salesman.
So I want to get your opinions on a few other creatures I have rolling around in my head. I only have one that is concrete enough to show. It's an individually drawn complex creature, probably with ranks and a social structure and such.
This one is one of those 'growth' creatures that grows from an odd object. Originally I was going to do marbles because I really love how they look and their designs.
Something like this:

le link:http://imageshack.us/a/img836/1610/sketches6.png
While I like the concept of a marble uncurling into a pseudo fetus shape with big glassy eyes and then growing into a small-medium sized creature with big glassy eyes, another idea caught me that I think is a bit more unique. The idea is of a creature that comes from a magically imbued talisman, or trinket, and that magical artifact can summon them. There is a lot of ways I could write a backstory for them, how they came to be. I'm considering a servant sort of story. I kind of want people to give them a personality/character because I'm going to be putting that into the art. They could wish to be free, want to be dutiful to their masters, and everything inbetween. They don't need someone to set them free, but the trinket forces them back to it if called. Something like that.

le link:http://imageshack.us/a/img405/2725/sketches5e.png
Both ideas will all be individually drawn(except the marbles 'egg' and probably the fetus stage) and have a wide variety of features and attributes. Different ears, body types, little features like spikes/feathers/horns. The trinket idea will all have individual trinkets as well, no two will be completely alike, though similarities are bound to happen. I'm thinking of involving marbles into the trinket idea as a common theme. Like on a necklace or ward.
Furthermore I don't want to step on any cultural toes, even though the idea has shamanistic themes. I don't want to take specific cultural ideas. Like I want to do shrunken head talisman but I don't know if that has a really important connection with the culture so I'll have to research that. I'll probably make up my own 'totems' and such to avoid appropriation.

Another idea I was considering with the trinket idea is if they're in a roleplay in the baby stage(might make more stages than just 3) that the events can affect how they will look when they grow up. And roleplay can maybe help them raise their rank.

So the questions are:
Which would you personally rather have? Or should I do both but change their features so they they're more different form each other? Are they strong enough on their own to be separate creatures, provided there are some small aesthetic changes?
Would you roleplay them? Do they have enough of an interesting concept to want to do things with them? What about the growth idea of changing through active interaction?

I'll probably post more concepts later. Maybe more questions as I think of them.

Winged

I love that art! Looks really cool :)

For the questions:
I like both, and think they could work well as different breeds/species but the same adopt? Depends on backstory, ect if you want to include that.
I might roleplay, it's something i've never really got into but occasionally i've enjoyed being part of a roleplay. So if it was a set up roleplay i would probably be interested :)
I like the idea of something interesting to do with their growth stages.
Owner of Gliders!

SkySong

I love what I'm seeing! Very creative in my mind.

Which would you personally rather have?
I couldn't honestly pick between the two of them as of now - I think they are both great and it's up to you as the artist what is best for you.

Or should I do both but change their features so they they're more different form each other?
I think this honestly depends on how they look when they are finished. You could do something where they are under the same shop name but two different breeds if that's what you're thinking.

Are they strong enough on their own to be separate creatures, provided there are some small aesthetic changes?
I'm tentatively saying yes to this. Again, I'd have to see them finished before I could decide for sure, but I'm thinking there would be.

Would you roleplay them?
Most definitely when I have the time to, yes.

Do they have enough of an interesting concept to want to do things with them?
I think so, yes. Especially if you are willing to hold rps and such with them.

What about the growth idea of changing through active interaction?
Love this idea. I've been thinking of doing something like this, but I think these would be great for this sort of thing.
Adoptable threads: None currently ~ Trading thread: N/A ~ Breeding thread

LC Custom Status: Closed
LC Breeding Status: Closed

Ryuukokoro

I personally love the first image! I really like the idea of drawing connections between the glassy surface of the marble and the dark eyes of the creature that 'hatches' out of it.

While the talisman idea is cool too, I've seen it done on other adoptables before, while the marble idea seems more unique and plus those little 'fetus' creatures as you call them are just so darn cute! XD And the 'servant' story you describe for the talismans doesn't really seem that captivating to me, especially if I were to RP it.

Either way, though, I would definitely RP them. I love adoptable role play. ^^

Misplaced

Thanks everyone for your feedback. It's given me something to ponder, so I'll share what I've been thinking about.

As far as choosing between them goes, I simply can't not them both. And with some sketching I think I've figured out what to do.
I don't want to have them as a separate breed because their growth is too different. They aren't the same creature, but because of the similarities they could be the result of a 'smaller' spell. I don't know how much I want to include them together in a story way, but I don't think it will be too much of a problem either way.
Aesthetically to separate them the marbles will be getting a more standard attributes like tail and ear with different 'add ons' like wings/horns/fur patches/whatever, while the talismans will get a wider variety of ears/tails/body types/faces. And I was thinking of continuing the surface of the marble on the creature. As I was shading this, it seemed like a strange jump to have the fetus stage have the shine but not have it in the adult stage.

Link:http://imageshack.us/a/img560/3355/marblescritterexample.png
A is your standard shading.
B is with the marble shading.
C is the fur also shaded like it is hard and shiny. Like a statue.

I think C will just be an alternate fur style. I need to practice making it look like it was carved into a hard surface. I also don't know why I shaded the marble like that, it's like I was thinking gelatin or something instead... But anyway, I need to go find a glass animal statue and do a still life so I can shade them better.
Some sketches of what I'm currently thinking they will look like. They were done after the colored image when I decided what to do with them aesthetically. Changed the feet also:

And some examples of the talisman adoptable. I'm going to have to play with the lineart on how thick or thin it should be, as well as shading style. I'm not feeling it yet. Also, another stage was added. Its not remarkable, but I feel like a creature that would grow with interaction needs more than one playable stage of development.

Link:http://imageshack.us/a/img42/3807/trinketexample.png

Link:http://imageshack.us/a/img832/9664/trinketexample2.png

Hmm, I didn't mean for them both to turn out so fox like.

Ryuukokoro:
I had a feeling it would have been done before. I also thought for sure the idea of colorful orbs would also be done. But I haven't been really that active recently as far as adoptables go, so I don't know.
As long as the adoptables put their own spins on the concept, I'm fine with it not being the only trinket based adoptables.
I'm not planning on enforcing the servant aspect for every individual creature. Some could break free, or be released, or be created by their parents(I have an explanation for how they and the marbles can 'reproduce'. Besides **magic**.) They, as a species, need a reason for their creation. The idea of magic bound servitude is their backdrop, if that makes sense? Well so far it is. Nothing is really concrete yet.
I think even ones that aren't servants would know of their history and have opinions about it. I'm going to let the players decide how much or how little they want to involve that in the backstory of their characters.
-

As far as roleplay goes, I think the talisman being a way to summon(and maybe control?) them would open up some some interesting scenarios. Like if they get it, then what do they do with it? Do they hide it, keep it on them at all times? Will some get paranoid about it? Does having it near them provide familiar comfort for some? Does it represent their soul? Their claim to the world? It is what they 'came out of' or were created from.
I'm actually really excited about this. Brainstorming makes me giddy.

Skysong:
I'm not completely sure how you hold rps? I will definately do it, but I've only participated once in a roleplay event held by the adoptable creator. That was a long time ago and I hardly remember it. Do these held rps include a master plot? Is it like DnD where the creator basically plays dungeon master? Or am I completely off base?

Winged

I love the new images! Your art is really cool :D My favourite shading is C, i love the detail on the tail. And i really love that lying down one in the second image!
Owner of Gliders!

SkySong

Secundi hasn't held too many rps, so from my understanding there really isn't much of a way we hold rps. What I meant is basically giving us something to rp on, so like a thread with some sort of event going on. I just don't want to have an rp situated adopt and have to do solos for the entire thing. :)

YourLoveOnly

Your artwork is amazing! I really like it. Sadly a lot of people here do not have the time for regular RP and making that a requirement will make you lose lots of followers I'm afraid. I think a good way would be doing an adoptable with optional RP, where RPing frequently can earn you points/rewards, but also a SG option for growth for those who really want to follow them but really can't find the time to dedicate to the RPing.

I also think since this is a small site the best way to do RPs is have an organized RP, one at a time, where you do the setting and pop in with developments and responses to what the players are doing every once in a while. I don't think having people do a bunch of seperate threads on their own really works on such a small site.

Misplaced

Winged- Thanks!

Skysong- Aye, I can do that.

YourLoveOnly- I was never planning on making roleplay a requirement. They're being formed with interaction being the main idea, but not being necessary. I do really like the idea of points and rewards. Growths will happen whether or not they are being roleplayed. Roleplay while one can still grow might alter their final form, that's all that roleplay has to do with growing. Roleplayers will be able to ask me to hold off growths because of this aspect.
Thank you for your perspective about RP on a small site. That sounds like a good way to approach it, very helpful.
I'm splitting them up into two different groups that aren't fond of each other so I might have to do two threads at the same time to prevent war in every single thread. Not that conflict with other player characters is bad, but it would get mundane if it happened every time.

And thank you all so much for your input and kind comments. If anyone has any examples of good organised roleplay, doesn't matter if its offsite or whatever, let me know.

Winged

This is a bit off topic, but do you think you would have time to do some character art for me sometime? I'd love a wee drawing of my Scottish Wildcat character and since i love your style that would be perfect.
Just thought i'd mention it now, you're probably busy with setting these up right now. And i don't know what you would want as payment or if it's something you'd be interested in drawing :)
Owner of Gliders!

YourLoveOnly

Sounds good! I like the idea of being able to influence the pet but it not being a mandatory thing :) I think you're defenitely on the right track and this adopt can do really really well here! And I don't think 2 threads at once is a problem. I don't know how often you want to do RPs, but if you want to do like one thread a month you could also alternate them so people can have a bit of rest in between threads while keeping the adoptable active. This also seems like a good idea if people have characters in both groups, because being in two threads at once can be a bit daunting, especially for a userbase that is not used to RPing at all. So I think personally I'd alternate them, one group one month, one group the next and some months a thread with both together.

Misplaced

Winged- I'd totally be interested in that, I do commission work. I could do a simple drawing(sketch + flats) for sg/pets or I could do a full painting for USD. Can I pm you later with examples and pricing?

Winged

That sounds good to me, let me know examples and prices :) I can do SG/pets and also USD up to a certain amount or perhaps a mixture if that works better. Once you let me know the usual price i can let you know if i've enough.
Owner of Gliders!

Misplaced

So I got it in my mind that I want to do a loose 'sim' style adoptable, which mixed with nostalgia for a creature I used to adopt out, which has been modified quit a bit to to work better with this setup.
So basically what I have in mind is a seven breed yet to be named species that can be bred, showed, inherit stats, use run kennels, and corny show names because I like that sort of thing.
There will probably be only two show types, one for breed appearance and one to test the athletics ability. I was intrigued when I found out that working breeds of dogs, such as border collies, bred for dog shows were much weaker and unable to perform the same work as their working and pet counterparts. You'd think under breed standard there would be a bullet saying 'must be able to do what it was bred for' but that's dog shows for you.
So I thought I would incorporate this into the adoptable. Though it is possible to breed one that is proficient in breed standard and physical ability, it would be difficult and quite an achievement.
Stats wouldn't be like agility, strength, intelligence. No, I love simplicity and hate numbers. The grades would probably be something like poor, fair, good, excellent.
There are three stats I currently know will be in.
Conformation: Counted in breed standard shows.
Athletics: Counted in 'working' shows.
Temperament: Counted in both show types. The better temperament, the better they will succeed.

I pretty much have two things I'm currently working out. If you have an opinion, feel free to give it.
1:I think it would be an interesting challenge if there were things about appearance that would give a disadvantage during a breed standard show. Like brown noses are considered a fault on that breed or something. But I also wanted to have mutations like wings, how would that affect judging? Maybe there is an acceptable mutation list for certain breeds? I just dunno yet.
2:Should fantasy colors be more uncommon? I was going to do this with another adoptable I was going to introduce but it looks like I won't be now. I'm not sure... It would give people who want to breed interesting patterns more of a challenge and value to their kennel. But I just don't know.

And the concept art, showing four of the common breeds:

They will all be individually drawn.
I've been going back and forth with giving them goat horns, the males would have theirs bigger and the females might have it nonexistant. But I haven't perfected it yet, or I may drop it all together. I don't know.

If you have any thoughts, on the two things I brought up or anything else like a different stat, then let me know.

Ah, and one more thing. If you can find a good name for them, as a species, I will give you a gift. The name of the adoptable they were based on doesn't suit them anymore.

Pinkshadow

i LOVE these last ones :O
- They are amazing and i will stalk xD

Winged

They look so cool!
As for a name, i came up with Hundur, the Icelandic word for canine and Koera, the Estonian word for canine. xD I thought that canine in a different language would be cool for them so put the word into google translate and flicked through the langages till i found one that sounded good to me.
Owner of Gliders!

SkySong

I have no name ideas, but I love the idea.

(On a side note, do you play furry-paws? They use the exact same rating (Poor, fair, good, excellent) for their stats. Not trying to say something negative, I thought that was neat.)

Misplaced

Thanks guys.

I've gone the goat dog route as far as aesthetics and I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with Winged's idea of choosing a name from a different language. I think I'm going with latin, goat + dog = Capranis. Or, informally, billydogs/nannydogs.
Winged:You want a random Marbling or Capranis?

Skysong - A few years ago I did play! I didn't get that into it and only stayed on for a few weeks. I don't remember the stat system, but if people find it familiar and easy then good.

Winged

I'd love a random Capranis please! Glad i could help with the name :) Billydogs sounds cute too.
Owner of Gliders!

Pega

Your style is really beautiful... I used to have a format where the more people role-played, the more tickets they would get in a random-draw system. If their couple for a breeding, for example, had roleplayed to meet and had a cute romantic backstory, they got a second ticket in the raffle. I also added personality into their adult images that I may have read in their roleplays.

Just giving some ideas for you to bounce around. But I love these ideas you've got, and I look forward to what you have to come! :)