News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

Long distance relationship tips? xD;

Started by jojo, September 15, 2011, 01:48:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jojo

I'm moving away from friends, family, and my boyfriend of 3 years in Seattle to go to grad school in California. I know there's some people wih experience with long distance relationships... any tips you can share with me?

I'm particularly concerned about the final goodbye, if I start crying it will never end and I'll end up drowning everyone around lol!

Sunchaser

tears are okay, they should know that lol. Sometimes it helps sometimes you just gotta get it out. As for your boyfriend, i would set up skype or yahoo dates where you can talk and maybe say watch the same thing or something to stay connected. i just woke up so im not very certian what type of tips your looking for lol

Luv007

While I've never had to be in long distance relationship, I have two very close friends with an incredibly close marriage that have.  While spending time with the two of them, I know the wife lived for work, school, and family so that nothing outside of that distracted her, or made her lose interest in her husband, but those three things kept her busy enough that she wasn't miserable missing him.  He would call her morning, noon, and night and they would talk for hours, even when they weren't really talking... just on the phone listening to each other's breaths kind of thing. 

Tears are a GOOD way to let things out... I completely agree with Sunny there.  And make as many trips as are afforable to see one another.  When my now-husband was still in the military and would get put into training at different places, South Carolina and Virginia specifically, I did A LOT of driving.  I was up there every weekend, and parts of the week usually.

Don't keep secrets about ANYTHING.  That only pulls relationships apart, long distance or not.

And just for the record, I am not the person to ask about relationship-- I've only been in 3 REAL relationship and each of them was some sort of dysfunctional, but that is the advice that I have gathered from long distance relationship.

And if you need any support at all, you know us secundians love to talk, and love to advice, and mostly, love to give support.  Good luck!