News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

Fantasy Writing Ideas?

Started by Ravvana, April 04, 2012, 09:05:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ravvana

I am taking a fantasy writing class this quarter as part of my minor :) We're each writing two original short stories for the class, but I am completely at a loss for ideas. Since I'm a Lord of the Rings nerd and have been reading my way through the Game of Thrones (Song of Ice and Fire) series, my brain is stuck on medieval high fantasy, but I don't think that's actually what I want to write; I just can't refocus my brain on other ideas.

So throw me some inspiration words! Point me toward good fiction/film that is not medieval high fantasy (ie Wizard of Oz, Spirited Away)! Just don't list off a whole great plot because I want to come up with most of it myself XD

SkySong

Hm, the Eragon book series was one I enjoyed, although I heard the movie wasn't the best. Also, the Death Gate series was another good one in my opinion. There's a few anime that are fantasy, Inuyasha comes to mind, although that also isn't set in a present day sort of thing.
Adoptable threads: None currently ~ Trading thread: N/A ~ Breeding thread

LC Custom Status: Closed
LC Breeding Status: Closed

BabyKittenCandy

Medieval fantasy could be good to write :) And the Game of Thrones books are amazing! Reading those myself atm :)

What about a horse fantasy with your background in horses? Maybe about if your horse had been born wild, or sold to someone else?

Films like The Last Unicorn perhaps? Or Legend? Depends on the type of fantasy you want? Modern day? Future? Magic? Ghosts? Angels? Demons? Other races such as elves, orcs etc?

Dunno if any of that is helpful though :)

Ryuukokoro

Urban fantasy is HUGE right now, especially with the younger generation. Dunno if it's your cup of tea but it's certainly a popular genre at the moment, just as high fantasy was huge in the 70's-80's.

My personal favorite urban fantasy series is the Mercy Thompson novels by Patricia Briggs. Personally, werewolves and vampires totally make me yawn, they've been so overdone. (These days urban fantasy = vampires/werewolves almost exclusively...) BUT Briggs comes at these overused ideas in a whole new light, goes into great detail with the backstory of the cultures which really brings the characters to life, and her main character is a strong kick-butt woman who can turn into a coyote thanks to her Native American heritage. (Coyote versus werewolf = brains versus brawn!) So give the books a shot, I was hooked! ^^

Alternately, you could try reading the Dresden Files by Jim Butcher, which is the other super-popular series in urban fantasy right now. I read them but I didn't love them that much... maybe cuz they're obviously aimed at the male readers while Mercy Thompson is definitely aimed at female readers. But I do admit they're a good series, and I got through I think the first six or seven Dresden novels... but then lost interest lol.