News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

Breast Cancer Awareness Month

Started by PonyMama, October 02, 2009, 03:15:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PonyMama

Yes I think as a lot of us are women or have know a woman or two in our lifetime XD, it would be nice to show our support to this wondrful month of awareness. 

My daughter goes to school where two, yes two of the teachers are survivors, and last year when we ran in the Run for a Cure event as a school we decided that we were going to run for prostate cancer instead as one of those teachers husbands is now battling cancer himself.  This year we are not running for a cure as a school as there was just not enough time or funding to get things figured out, so I am celebrating in a different way.

I persoanlly will be taking both kids to the run for a cure and tonight I am going to a hockey game (WHL) tonight where all the player will be wearing special pink jerseys.  I will be wearing all pink to that game as well.  So what are you doing for this month to show your support? (I will try find a picture of the jersey)

cameron

I bought some pretty fancy new basketball kicks and chipped in an extra bit of money for some nice pink laces. Wearing them all month with the pink laces. I've also made it a habbit to donate every oppertunity I get. Like when going to the theater I'll donate an extra dollar or so to the breast cancer foundation.

I'm not too sure about any specail sports events or things but if they pop up I'll be sure to go. :)

Luv007

My mom is a survivor.  It changed her and to this day, she's speaks about it infrequently but with the utmost respect to the higher being who let her live.  I was very very little but I remember the doctor's and hospitals very vaguely.  I'm expecting my first child and she's worried that I may develop breast cancer after birth, because that's when she recognized it and was diagnosed.  Fortunately she is nurse and knew right away that something was wrong.  She though that perhaps she was pregnant again... she'd had a miscarriage and was trying again.  But to her disappointment, she was told that she had breast cancer and she would never be able to have children again.  I guess the doctor should have told that to my brother and sister, 5 and 7 years younger than I.  When I turned eighteen, I had a bump on my breast and it had to be drained and checked because we were afraid it was cancer.  I'm not the healthiest person... Type 1 diabetes and no family history of it whatsoever.

Anyhow.... needless to say, breast cancer has very much affected my family and I look up to all those that have had the strength to fight through it or even just to enjoy their lives until the end.