News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

Anyone here beside me who likes BJDs?

Started by Zephyr, May 05, 2010, 10:42:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zephyr

About two years ago I started to really get interested in BJDs. I had a hard time choosing my first, because the SDs and MSDs were frankly too big for me. I have a teeny tiny house with no real storage space to speak of, so I needed dolls that would work in the space I had.

I ended up deciding on tinies - like 5-inch-tall tinies.

There are several dolls in this range. Elfdoll Tinies, Orientdoll So, I think there's a Resinsoul tiny in that range....Lati White and Pocket Fairy...DD Anne Near....Naripons, CCC's, PukiPukis and Felix Brownies.

Flexibility was a big factor for me. Some of the companies were cheap - DD Anne and Orientdoll - but DD Anne was too small and there weren't faces I liked. Orientdoll's bodies didn't appeal to me. I decided early on that I wanted a jointed torso, which helped eliminate a LOT of the tinies.

It pretty much narrowed it down to Pukis and Brownies. Now, Pukis are hugely popular; they have probably the most aesthetic body, hands, and feet I've seen on a tiny smaller than 6 inches.

What decided me was that I wanted to get the main character of my novel in BJD form, and have her sit on my desk to inspire me to write. The difficulty then was finding the right face. She's an elf, and all the puki faces have elf ears - but they're all happy, or grumpy - none look *sad* and that was the final qualifier; my main character has a sad story, so I needed a sad or at least pensive face.

Felix Brownies were the answer to my problem: they had human and elf eared faces, and one of the elf eared faces was sad!!! The body was as flexible as I could want, too: the same size and general proportions of a Puki, Brownies were double jointed in knees AND elbows. They had TWO torso joints too, which let them be even more posable.

And as a neat side note, the magnetic head and eye mechanism made them a dream of simplicity for first-time BJD owners!

Best of all, Felix was running a deep discount event. Where a nude, wigless, unpainted Puki was around $140 new, I could get a FULL SET brownie - body, head, eyes, faceup, wig, clothing - for as low as $58!!! Many of the full sets also came with an extra blank head, or a pack of hand sets, for free. And the brownie wigs were perfect fits, while everyone complains about the too-small Fairyland Puki wigs :3

I bought my first bjd. Then I bought another. Then three more. And one more, totaling 6 brownies by the end of the sale. o_O But man am I glad I did....a fullset is now $160. Still well less than a Puki fullset (between $250-300ish)!

But....then I got a puki too T_T From the Den of Angels BJD forum market place. And then another. That's 8 tiny BJDs, living on my desk. I'm telling myself, this is the end....no more! T_T

Any of you collect bjds, and have a similiar addicti - er, tale to tell? :X

toffeeca

I have four dolls. :)
Three are 27 cm and one is a brownie.

The first ones I ordered were from Customhouse. They were having a buy one get one free. So I got two of my girls then. They were the last ones that I actually got home, five months after ordering. I was planning on just waiting for those girls to arrive but then I saw Soom's December monthly dolls. So I ended up ordering Ai, the little deer. Then, I was waiting for all of them to come home, and decided that I wanted a little girl to go with my others. So my elfdoll was purchased.

My Customhouse girls resin's isn't very high quality, something I read about after buying them... but they are still adorable. My Soom girl seems to be an amazing poser, at least compared to the others.

Unfortunately my little brownie's wig does not stay on at all. I'm not sure if it is just the wig or what, but her wig falls off even if she is just sitting. I have tried wig caps and the wig still falls right off. I need to get her another. But her outfit that she came with doesn't fit her either. The dress falls right off of her.

Do you have any pictures of your dolls?

Leafy

I don't have any, but I think they're looovely ^_^ I've got friends very heavily into BJD's, and even one who makes them, LadySaiyuki if you've heard of her. They're great, I kinda want one just for drawing puerposes, but they're out of my price range XD;;

Pinkshadow

Willow

A Ball Jointed Doll, I've not been able to afford one :3
They are beautiful though ^^
~Willow

BabyKittenCandy

I have one BJD. I had admired them for a while and after seeing all Glor and Dictions in the er, flesh I decided I would save up and get one. I knew it would take me ages but I made the fatal mistake of browsing the BJD sites anyhow and fell in love with one. Ofc, In true BKC style, he was a exspensive limited edition, on sale for just 2 months >.< Being out of work with a baby, I knew my hubby just couldnt afford to outright buy me one and knew he would kill me if I used my credit card.

My poor My Little Pony collection suffered as I sold off various Greeks and MOC's but I eventually raised the $750 I needed and was able to buy him! In fact, I raised enough money that I had some left over and to my delight was able to afford a My Little Pony Grail of mine that popped up on ebay a few weeks later :)

I hope to be able to get at least another one big doll and hopefully a lil puka at some point too.

Meet Abadon:

Pinkshadow

Lectral

I originally found them by accident, when trying to find dolls in scale for my model horses.  Still haven't found any perfectly scaled for that, but after looking at them, and seeing them occasionally from various people on PI, even PMing Glor a couple times about them, I decided I needed at least one.

I found several I like from Soom and a few other places, buut most of my favorites seem to be from Luts.  I can't actually remember now which I got first, I'll have to go look at my purchase history, but it was either my Eastern Chef Leo, a Zuzu Delf special (they're anthro based, about 6 inches tall - he has little lion ears and a tail, kitty face and paws) or my Dahlia, Senior Delf girl, the full size 57-60 cm dolls.  I know I got them at different times, a few months apart, but I honestly can't remember who I got first XD

At the moment, I am jobless, and can't really afford more, much to my disappointment, but for Christmas, my husband let me buy one of their Christmas specials, another Zuzu delf, The Sweets Fenny, a fox based one this time.  I have several more I would like to get, to match a few characters of mine, but they will have to wait until I get another job XD

Zephyr

Any of you doll people on Den of Angels? D:

Price IS a factor, but brownies are quite a good price. I got each of mine for $100 or less!

Toffee - the only brownie wig I've trouble with is the pigtails that came with Amanda-haha. Usually the magnet-plate system works wonders. SOMETIMES the ultra-long-straight style is too stiff, but that's something you'll find in most synthetic wigs in dolls this size. It's why so many tiny wigs are short styles!

I did hear things about Customhouse's resin, yea. Some of the faces are cute and the sale they had was quite affordable, but the only thing bigger I'd go for would be an [url+http://www.infinitidoll.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4&products_id=8] INFINITI DOLL Yo-SD[/url] or a FAIRYLAND LITTLEFEE! Omgosh, I can't believe you have a Soom! They're so pretty, but I'd never get over the guilt of buying one >_<

Leafy - If you can tell me what you're looking for I might be able to help. I thought I couldn't afford any, and then I found an incredible little BJD for under $100! But you do have to research. There are cheap dolls that are cheap as in trashy, and then cheap as in good dolls that happen to be inexpensive.

BKC - oooo, he's very sleek! :D  Is he an MSD or SD?

Lectral - Luts has some lovely faces, but I'm not wild on their bodies. Luckily for me (if I ever move up into the Yo size), Lutz resin and Infinitidoll resin are reputed to be a perfect match!

But Luts has absolutely the most adorable anthros ever! If I could get my mom interested, i would get her the bichon (sp?) frise, since she loves them. Or just one of the dog anthros. :)

...My puki arrived today. I expected to be thrilled, but....she's definitely not as advertised (I bought her second hand). Her faceup is quite faded and looks to have been modified (lips), and her whole body is rather grubby. I put her on the shelf and played with a brownie instead >_<

I may scrub her down and redo the lips, which are too candy-pink and heavily painted, then resell her. And man, NONE of my wigs stay on her. I'm spoiled by the Brownie magnet system! D:

BabyKittenCandy

Tbh, i dont even recall what those abbreviations are ^^

I would love to find some more affordable yet good quality dolls. Im not into them in a huge way but thats more cos I cant afford to be atm.

Lectral

Abadon is definitely SD, possibly a touch larger

I like the female body that my Dahlia came with, but I am iffy on the male bodies.  I have an event head for a male doll, but I can't decide what body I want to go with it.  I guess it's a good thing I have no money for that right now XD

Zephyr

I can't really advise on doll bodies larger than the 30 cm range - I try to avoid looking. Can't afford 'em, don't have space!

BabyKittenCandy

Haha! I cant either and Im not set on all 70cm ones. I would be interested in getting some smaller ones too. I would love to get a PukiPuki doll tbh. So any ones/sites you can recomend would be ace!

Zephyr

Well, if you're not signed up already, the Den of Angels forum is a great place to buy Pukis secondhand. Otherwise, here's a good site: http://www.denverdoll.com/fairylandpukibasic.php

Longer waiting time than buying from Fairyland directly, but much cheaper shipping :3