News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

Help?

Started by Victoria, June 14, 2010, 03:08:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Victoria

Can some one make a video on shading on gimp and shading with color pencils! I know how to draw really well but i just don't know how to shade! :-\

YourLoveOnly

Just search "shading tutorial" or something like that on google. I don't think anyone will make a video just for you, but there are plenty of tutorials out there.

Victoria

Quote from: YourLoveOnly on June 14, 2010, 03:13:28 PM
Just search "shading tutorial" or something like that on google. I don't think anyone will make a video just for you, but there are plenty of tutorials out there.
I did and found nothing like the stuff that is shaded here. It came up with all this stuff i did not want like a manga i shading tutorial.

YourLoveOnly

There are really hundreds of tutorials out there, it may take some time to find one you like but you will eventually. Try searching for a type you want. Like cell shading or soft shading or shading with dodge and burn tool.

Victoria

Quote from: YourLoveOnly on June 14, 2010, 03:47:56 PM
There are really hundreds of tutorials out there, it may take some time to find one you like but you will eventually. Try searching for a type you want. Like cell shading or soft shading or shading with dodge and burn tool.

Ok that might work but I'm still looking for colored pencil tutorials too! :)

Neocridders

Well, since each person shades differently than the next, it'll be hard to find shading tutorials for the art here.
Digitally, there should be tons of different styles for you to pick from. You can google shading technique videos for 'insert type of shading here', and maybe you'll get something that you want.

For shading with colored pencils, I suggest the same thing.
Of course, I don't know what you're confused about. If you don't know how people shade, one way is to color the base color first, then darken where the shades should go. Imagine a sun somewhere in your picture. That sun is where the light is coming from. The dark will be on the places farthest from the sun.
Also, people use pencils of different colors to shade too. I suggest that you expirament with a scrap paper or two what certain colors look like on top of other color. They really can be amazingly different from what you'd expect.

Many artists here and elsewhere start off from seeing someone else's art. They'll try to take that style, mimic it, and then come up with their own style from that. That's how people grow. Then you'll have your own style people wish they could mimic.
Also, many artists here and elsewhere start off just expiramenting until they get something that works for them.
I'd try looking at real photos, if you want to be realistic. See where the darkest parts are, where the lightest parts are, and just work with it. Draw what you see.

YourLoveOnly