News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

Quin projects!

Started by SkySong, August 19, 2013, 03:38:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SkySong

So as my Frisian projects are hopefully coming to an end this season, I'm thinking about starting a new project! I'm kinda thinking Tobiano into Frisian, but I'm not sure who's doing what. So what do you guys have in the works?
Adoptable threads: None currently ~ Trading thread: N/A ~ Breeding thread

LC Custom Status: Closed
LC Breeding Status: Closed

springacres

I have lots I'm mulling over.  Appy, tobiano and overo into QH, appy/tobiano to Morgan, appy/tobiano/overo/silver/roan/dun into Tekes and TBs, appy/tob/silver/dun/cream/brown to Andy, appy/overo/roan/non-dun/flaxen/silver to Fjords, cream/chestnut/flaxen to Friesians... no shortage of options XD

toffeeca

I love seeing what everyone is working on!

I currently have a cream to Frisian project half way done, hopefully this season will give me the next step. I also have two projects that I started last season tobiano/appy to Morgans, and cream/tobiano to andys.

Neocridders

I have a tobiano into freisian project, but it's been a while since I did anything with it. I'll probably continue next season. It's 50/50 freisian/vanneer grade, so not very far into it.

I've got a brown into freisian project that should be closing up soon.

Kahlira

I have a project! I do I do!

I'm bringing appy and tobiano to QH. But I have one mare doing everything, and I want both genes on the grade before going on to the next phase, but I think next season could be seeing QH with markings. *nodnod*

Keilin Alyr

Hopefully I'll be finished with my Tobiano into TBs project this season. Started that project and Dun/Overo on impulse when TBs were introduced, but I'll be glad to have something new finished.

Otherwise I'm working on finishing up some old SD/Roan into Friesians and Roan/Appy into Clydes projects. I've been pondering starting up an Akhal-Teke project once I wrap up my TB projects, but we'll see. =)

No longer has zombie eyeballs. May still have a craving for brains, as there's no intelligence or sanity left in hers. XD

Ryuukokoro

Yay these are my fave threads! ^_^ I love seeing what everyone is doing with Quin breedings!

Here's what I'm hoping for my personal projects this time around:

-3rd Gen grade for tobiano into Andys
-2nf Gen grade for tobiano and appy into A-T's
-Yellow Dun into Friesians (dun and bay are already in, just hoping to get a yellow dun for myself this season :D )

Haha and just to brag celebrate, projects I've finished over the years~:
-roan and appy into Friesians
-tobiano and roan into Fjords
-roan into Andys
-roan into Clyds

SkySong

I have White into Frisians that with luck will go through this season. Originally I had a white stud and mare, but these Silver Dapple Brown mares kept popping up so we might see both of those on a Frisian as well. I have high hopes!

I'm almost tempted to try red into Frisians. I know how to do it, but it sounds so long and tedious... It's like finding your way through the dark. Perhaps it would go more quickly if several people worked on it together?

Keilin Alyr

Much as I adore chestnut (and palomino), I'm a little hesitant to jump into any sort of chestnut to Friesians project with so much EE extension stock out there. Getting Ee in 2nd generation is simple enough, it's just proving that -e has passed into 3rd AND risking breeding with another EE parent that makes my skin itchy. XD

Or to put it a bit more visually:

EE x ee = Ee (here's our carrier 2nd gen)
Ee x EE = ?? (but wait, does our 3rd gen carry?)
?? x EE = ?! (argh, now we need an Ee Friesian mate!)

I've been breeding my own 1st generation Friesians to ee mates whenever I get the chance, but so far, no luck and no chestnut Grades. Makes me wish we could bribe to see individual genetic code snippets, though I think there was talk of that in the day?

No longer has zombie eyeballs. May still have a craving for brains, as there's no intelligence or sanity left in hers. XD

SkySong

Well the way I was planning on doing it is once I get the Ee grade, I claim a couple of his foals, regardless if they're chestnut or not. Then I try breeding them back to random chestnuts. If a chestnut foal pops in there somewhere then I know that one is ok to go to the next stage. If after many breedings there still hasn't been a sign of chestnut, then I go back to the 50/50 and claim a couple more foals.

If you wanted a chestnut Frisian without any inbreeding, I'd start two different lines, picking stallion foals and being very careful which mares I borrow (ideally I'd have at least a score of mares just for this, but that'd be ridiculous). The last step is tricky because you need to find a Frisian stud and mare who pass chestnut before you can breed them with each other.

In short words, it'd take forever. But, that's the process I'd use for getting any recessive gene to show in one breed or another.

Neocridders

@.@ I thought I understood that but I don't. Wut.

Keilin Alyr

Oh yeah, I know there's test-breeding to be sure your 2nd generation Ee's foal also carries the recessive gene, it's just... I'm kinda lazy impatient, I suppose. I want to have all my cards lined up before project start, knowing I can sprint on through to the finish. Having a 2nd generation ee foal would be an amazing start. ^^

I figure under my preferred system, two Ee Friesians are a must (especially since I advance Grade projects with 1st gen non-Grade parents):

Ee x ee = (ee)
(ee) x EE = (Ee)
(Ee) x Ee = ee

Plus, if I'm breeding to find the perfect Ee parent for the 4th generation Grade, I might as well keep on keeping on to find those elusive others. We shall amass an army of 1st generation Ee Friesians, mwahaha (I'm not a dork, I swear)! XD

Keilin Alyr

I... just realized I am a huge derp. Grade breeds back to pure in 5 generations, not 4. Which apparently lets me rearrange breedings thusly if I wanted to maintain minimal generations, minimal Ee Friesian hunting:

EE x ee = (Ee)
(Ee) x Ee = (ee)
(ee) x EE = (Ee)
(Ee) x Ee) = ee

Amazing science! XD I really should pay closer attention to what I'm saying before I get too excited, I suppose. Although a more defined game plan does make me a bit more excited to maybe start on a chestnut to Friesians project sooner rather than later now. ^^

SkySong

There is also that - although ideally you would actually have 4 Ee parents lined up - Two studs and two mares so that you don't have to worry about having the right gender of grade, and in case one for some reason is no longer available.

This is making me want to grab all the 1st gen Frisians and all the chestnuts and just breed. And this works with other things, too! Like getting a Fjord without dun. (That might take a bit longer - I remember it being said that all the first Fjords were DD.)

springacres

Quote from: Keilin Alyr on August 19, 2013, 06:51:54 PM
Hopefully I'll be finished with my Tobiano into TBs project this season. Started that project and Dun/Overo on impulse when TBs were introduced, but I'll be glad to have something new finished.

Otherwise I'm working on finishing up some old SD/Roan into Friesians and Roan/Appy into Clydes projects. I've been pondering starting up an Akhal-Teke project once I wrap up my TB projects, but we'll see. =)
Working on SD into Friesians myself.  I got dun and overo there in May, now the sire just has to pass his silver dapple too.  (I might actually get silver dapple dun roan overo... not super likely but crossing my fingers anyway!)

SkySong

Best of luck, spring! It looks like there are several SD projects going around.

Ryuukokoro

I believe Silvanon and Sarah have both said a couple seasons ago that they're working on chestnut-into-Freisians projects, though I'm not sure how far along they are or if they're still doing the projects. But perhaps you're not alone on this challenging trek! ;)

Winged

Now i'm hopeless at grade projects myself... but i'd be happy to help out!

ETA: I'm good at genetics, just don't have the patience for grade projects, and don't like the grade lines :p But i have a few difficult projects for spesific quin that i'm currently working on.
Owner of Gliders!

YourLoveOnly

At least there are some Ee Friesians, right? XD All 1st gen Fjords have been confirmed to be DD, so non-dun Fjords will be a much bigger pain to accomplish.. I really want those XD

Winged

I know, so do i! I think there are some Ee friesians from the originals released, and i'm sure some of the newer ones will be Ee. I'll be starting to test my friesian stallions this season, with the chestnut mares i have.
Owner of Gliders!

SkySong

Rav's using my only chestnut mare this season, but next I think I'll do the same, too! Hopefully next bribes we see a lot of new chestnut and Frisian blood. It'd be awesome if they could pop over here and give an update on how that's going! Although, I think Silv might have the easiest time since it'd make sense if she knew which Frisians were Ee and which weren't.

Actually, now that I think about it, we just need two (preferably gen 1) Frisians that are Ee. You can completely skip grades and just breed those two until you get chestnut.

Winged

Haha yeah that would help Silv a bit. I never heard that she was working on a quin project, when was this?
I think it'd be more fun to get chestnut by testing Friesians than using grades :)
Owner of Gliders!

SkySong

Not to mention quicker. That's the nice thing about recessive genes - find a couple hetero and you can skip breeding to pure.

It'd be really funny if someone was just breeding a couple frisians and a chestnut turned up out of nowhere.

Keilin Alyr

Quote from: SkySong on August 20, 2013, 09:36:50 AM
Actually, now that I think about it, we just need two (preferably gen 1) Frisians that are Ee. You can completely skip grades and just breed those two until you get chestnut.

Very true... but I'll still have to breed Grades personally. Breeding two pure Friesians won't help me get more palominos, at least not yet (and my super-secret plots probably weren't so secret, yeah?). >.>

I'm not a junkie, I swear! *bricked, runs away* XD

Winged

Well, there's at least one cream project at the moment, so a chestnut could be bred without grades then hopefully there would be a cream friesian that has an e gene to breed the chestnut to. Grades starting with chestnut might be easier, but that wouldn't guarentee you the chestnut gene carrying through.
Owner of Gliders!

Wildfilly94

Sooty Buckskin Tobiano Luestin F
Brown Blanket Appaloosa Friesian

Those are mine. Was too busy to look for friesians this time round, and both luestins I needed for my first project were unavailable(Well, one was.. The other never replied). :/
Maybe next season

skysnolimit

Are there any Friesian projects that happen to have started from a chestnut line in another breed?  Then you could check the F2 generation to see if they're recessive for it, and that could give you a head-start already!

Also, my projects:
dun into Andalusians (almost there!)
Snowflake Appaloosa in Andalusians (this might already exist, but isn't visible yet)
Brown into Andalusians (have F1, possibly F2)
Rooting for Ryuu on Tobiano into Andalusians ;)
Roan into Arabians (I'm being picky/lazy with this, just a breeding or two each season)
The rest of my projects are just specific combinations of traits that already exist in certain breeds :)

Ryuukokoro

Quote from: Winged on August 20, 2013, 09:40:22 AM
Haha yeah that would help Silv a bit. I never heard that she was working on a quin project, when was this?
I think it'd be more fun to get chestnut by testing Friesians than using grades :)

Hmm, when was it.... *peeks through old threads* Aha! It was in March.

http://www.secundi.net/forum.php?topic=8722.msg165145#msg165145

toffeeca

If someone needs some chestnut mares to check for chestnut carrying Friesians I have six red based girls that I am not using at all this season.

ETA: It looks like Silv's Maxamillion carries chestnut http://www.secundi.net/pedigree.php?ID=560600

Ryuukokoro

Whoa! Sil is close to getting both chestnut and tobiano into Freisians! :O

springacres

Quote from: skysnolimit on August 20, 2013, 11:33:08 AM
Are there any Friesian projects that happen to have started from a chestnut line in another breed?  Then you could check the F2 generation to see if they're recessive for it, and that could give you a head-start already!

As it happens, there's at least one.  My SD/dun/overo to Friesians project started with this girl: http://www.secundi.net/pedigree.php?ID=514655 So any Friesians from that line could potentially carry chestnut.

Winged

That's looks good she's getting close!
toff, i'd like to check my two Friesian stallions for chestnut, so if you're not using your chestnut mares i'd love to :) You could take a pick of my remaining mares if you'd like any in exchange? Not the red based ones, i'm using them to test already.
Owner of Gliders!

springacres

*adds more breedings to her ever-growing list*  Poor Silv, she's gonna have a ton of foals to roll for me... XD

Kahlira

I've got a pair of chestnut grade gals I'm not using this season. Both would be available for use to check genes XD I should be on for a few more hours (Though I dunno for sure though as I'm fighting a headache as I had a very stinky smell in my nose all day and am so glad I never had to take cod liver oil if it tastes as bad as it smells)

http://www.secundi.net/critterpage.php?ID=515182
http://www.secundi.net/critterpage.php?ID=555685

Saturnalia

Keilin, I'm so pumped for your TB project!

I'm pretty close to getting Appy into TBs. Woohoo! :D

Sarah Badr

Quote from: toffeeca on August 20, 2013, 12:38:53 PM

ETA: It looks like Silv's Maxamillion carries chestnut http://www.secundi.net/pedigree.php?ID=560600

I have two chestnut, and one palomino, 50% Friesian grades sired by Silv's Maxamillion and one of my partner's has one chestnut as well.

One of my Max daughters just gave me a chestnut 75% Friesian mare sired my App stud Scimitar this season. I'm so excited about her!

Skysong, you're right there. Since we know now that there are at least two Friesians with a chestnut gene we should get Friesian daughters from both and then breed them to chestnuts to see if any inherited the chestnut gene. And then breed them to the opposite stud to try for chestnut. That's one way to go. ;)

SkySong

We could also check Max's mom for chestnut. It's possible she doesn't have the gene, but we could do it the short way and massively inbreed if she does.... Lol. That's horrible, I know. But, it also brings to question that you can get the e by Breeder's choice and well, if you find a mare that has Ee, you could simply breeder choice her and get a lovely chestnut out of nowhere....

Sarah Badr

Scimitar's mother as well. ;)

SkySong

Perhaps next season we could try Teyval (Scimitar's mom) with Max and Scimitar with Mighty Quinn (Max's mom). Both pairs are 0% inbred and there's a slim chance of chestnut for each... Hm. Obviously we'd need Leet's permission to use Quinn and Winged's for Teyval.

Sarah Badr

LOL....just a small matter.... :P

TheLeet

Quote from: SkySong on August 29, 2013, 09:38:02 PM
Perhaps next season we could try Teyval (Scimitar's mom) with Max and Scimitar with Mighty Quinn (Max's mom). Both pairs are 0% inbred and there's a slim chance of chestnut for each... Hm. Obviously we'd need Leet's permission to use Quinn and Winged's for Teyval.
As long as someone reminds me in time, that's fine. I keep meaning to test her for chestnut but I keep forgetting >.<

SkySong

Well next season hopefully we can try that breeding! It'd be awesome if it worked out.

Winged

I'd be willing to try that :) I'd prefer to put the breeding in myself i think, so i can control any inbreeding sneaking into the project. It might be more likely that Scimitar got the e gene from the BC stud though but worth a try.
Owner of Gliders!

SkySong

Winged - I put their ids in the inbreeding predictor and both pairs are at 0. I agree that it's quite possible the gene came from his mystery father, though.

Sarah Badr

Skysong, is this inbreed predictor somewhere for anyone to use?

EDIT: Found it. Grrr I wish I'd known about that. Stupid me, when I bred this season I didn't even consider my grade's non-Friesian lines so I got some now that are inbred (was only watching the Friesian lines to assure no inbreeding).