News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

The Cleiteag-Cat: Feather-Fluffs for All! [[Dead Thread]]

Started by xenon, April 23, 2010, 10:15:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xenon

Introduction

Welcome to the Cleiteag-Cat Adoption Center!

What, you might be asking, are the Cleiteag-Cat? Their name translates roughly to "feather cat", but in their home world, they are most commonly known as Gryphons. Originally created through magical inferference by a group of curious Tsumes, the Gryphons have since integrated themselves fully into the wildlife of their homeworld. This integration is so seamless that there are very few who even remember a time when Gryphons weren't found in the wild. Now, the Gryphons fulfill a variety of roles in society, from companion to workanimal and far beyond.

Because of their rather odd beginings, the Gryphons are known for having a rather strange array of traits. Some of these traits are completely ornamental, while others might be more geared towards function, and still others are often rather detrimental to the health of the animal as a whole. Breeding of Gryphons is a challenging and often rewarding experience, but one which must be undertaken with significant care. Another strange side effect is that while most Gryphons are at least as intelligent as a raven or parrot, approximately one-third of all Gryphons are born sentient, with intelligence levels ranging from below-average to brilliant by human standards, and all stages inbetween. An even smaller fraction of these individuals are able to use some form of magic. These Gryphons will sometimes consent to becoming companions to other species (generally humans and humanoids), usually out of a desire for a simpler life, while some chose simply to act as ambassadors for their species. Still others avoid contact with humanoids entirely, chosing to keep to their own kind for their entire life.

All the same, we have formed an alliance with some who have decided to help their kind find meaningful lives on other worlds and with other species, and so it is with great pleasure that I introduce you to the Cleitaeg-Cat!

xenon

Contests/Event

None at the current moment! <3 Keep an eye on this space for future postings.

xenon

Sales/Auctions

Today, at long last, we have two lovely (if not a little strange!) ladies up for auction! For identification and bidding purposes, they'll be labeled with their ID numbers for the time being. :3

First up, a striking female with two traits of interest: Vestigial faerie wings as well as antennae!

g66AF - SOLD to Willow for 500k!

Secondly, a interesting female with coloring that is rather similar to that of the blue-ringed octopus. This girl's traits are head tentacles as well as pawed forelimbs and a tufted draconic tail.

g67AF - SOLD to Sera!

~pickup posted below~

Both auctions end on 5/8/10 @ 5pm PSD. If you'd like to make an offer to buy one of these girls outright, I am open to offers. Minimum bid in USD would be $5.00. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask me!

xenon

Breedings

Gryphons are, despite their avian qualities, fully mammalian. Gestation lasts for six months, with young born live (called kittens). On average, litter size is two kittens, but between one and three is common. It is possible for a litter to contain as many as five kittens, but this is considered extremely risky for the mother, and there is the possibility that minor birth defects will be observed. At four, kittens are considered adolescents, and they are capable of breeding at six. Like parrots, the average lifespan is about 45 years in the wild, though in captivity, individuals have been found of ages up to 90.

There are three major methods of breeding your Gryphons.

1.) Aeries: The most common method is done within a common group, called an Aerie. Following in the common ratio of males to females within the species, an Aerie is generally found in proportions of one male to three females. The largest and Aerie can be before a split will generally occur is three males to nine females, though there are exceptions to this standard - on rare occasions, a male will have more or less females, though the more he has the harder he will need to work to properly care for them. Most Gryphons chose to find Aeries, as this provides them with a sort of family group that makes their life much less difficult. This is doubly true when it comes to raising kittens. As social animals, companionship is very important to most Gryphons.

In an Aerie, it is not considered odd to see brothers or half brothers forming an Aerie together. Similarly, sisters or half sisters may also join Aeries together, though a brother and sister will never join an Aerie together.

For our purposes, Aeries can be made up either of Gryphons belonging entirely to one person, or mis-matches of Gryphons belonging to a variety of people. :3 Aeries may be classified as Open (meaning anyone can request a breeding from any members without permission), Semi-Open (with some members requiring permission while others do not), and Closed (all members require permission to be bred by non-members). It is generally assumed that, if you own a member of the Aerie, you will not require any permissions to obtain a breeding. xD

2.) Bachelor Males: The next most common method for breedings to occur. Because of the smaller percentage of male Gryphons, some younger males decide to "play the field", as it were. Mostly, these males will pursue unattached females, however, a few will go after females that are already a part of an Aerie. Sometimes, bachelor males will form groups with each each other, as a brotherhood of sorts. It is not uncommon for bachelor males in a situation like this to form an Aerie together, as they grow older and settle down.

The disadvantages to breeding in this manner is that there is a lower chance for kittens. Most breedings will be between 1 and 2 kittens, with 3 or more considered to be extremely rare. There is also a potential risk to the bachelor male in question - I would guess that some lead males would be rather unhappy to find some scandal creeping around and looking at his ladies. ;)

3.) Love Pairs: The least common. Love pairs are made up of the very few Gryphons that are monogamous. For the most part, while they form close bonds, they prefer the comfort and safety of a large group to that of a solitary partner. As is the case with bachelor males, breedings between love groups have a higher chance at a reduced number of offspring.

Rarely, up to three love pairs will group together to form a pseudo-Aerie. If this can occur, then the base number of babies will return to the standard base level (2-3).

~~~

Slots: None currently available.

xenon

Customs

I'm still getting info for this together, at this point. Pricing (in both SG and $USD) will be based around a set price, with mutations and other additions adding onto that. These prices will be based around complexity and rarity of the traits, with more complex traits costing more. For $USD, I will be offering breedings as well.

Also available for $USD will be starter Aeries and special breeding items! Keep your eye on this space for more information. :)

Here are some basic price lists. Information is subject to change, as these are mostly my preliminary notes - if you have questions about something, just ask, and I'll do my best to clarify.
List 1
List 2
List 3
List 4
List 5

~~~

Slots: Taking up to three single Gryph slots! :3 For this, I will not be doing Aeries - just Customs and Breedings, with the possibility for purchase of items as well.

1. Sera
2. Solistia
3. YLO

xenon

Pickups
Older pickups will be periodically removed as soon as I have the name of your Gryphon. <3 If you need the information again, I can send it to you via PM. Soon, I will have owner-pages up on the site for your reference!

ID: g73AF
Name: Owner's Choice
Genetics: BBNN; NN; ewew; y'y'; M'M'; LL; FF; FF; NN; WW; t"t"
Owner: Solistia

ID: g74AF
Genetics: b'b'hh; AN; EE(l); YY; MM'; LL; ff; FF; NN; W(vg)W(vg); TT
Owner: YourLoveOnly

ID: g75AF
Genetics: BBhh; NN; E^E; YY; mm; LL; ff; FF; NN; W(c)W'; T(ls)T
Owner: YourLoveOnly

Let me know their names and ENJOY!

~~~

More for SERA! And yayayayay, customs are done. @___@

ID: g76AF
Parents: g72AM x g67AF
Genetics: BBNN; NN; E(b)E(b); YY; M'M'; LL; Ff(b); F(b)F; WtW; Tt
Owner: Sera

ID: g77AF
Parents: g72AM x g67AF
Genetics: BbNN; NN; E(b)E; YY; MM'; LL; f(b)f; FF(bw); WtW' t(t)t
Owner: Sera

xenon

whew, I think that should be just about everything! For a little bit of information about myself, I am currently a student in my 3rd year of a pre-med program. As you can probably guess, this means that there are times when I am exceptionally busy. I will do my best to keep from vanishing entirely at all times, but sometimes school makes drawing rather difficult. This project is intended to keep me sane through my studies, so I'll be making an effort to keep from overloading myself. This means that whenever slots open, they will be limited. This better ensures that I am able to finish everything with reasonable speed.

I keep a to-do list in the Livejournal community, which is located here: http://community.livejournal.com/cleiteag_aerie/

Draws will often be split up between this forum and the community, and I'll try to ensure both locations get the same amount of attention. My only request is that if I make a draw that is located at both venues at the same time, you only sign at one place. <3

That's all I can think of for now. If you have any more questions, about either myself or about Gryphons in general, I direct your attention to my good friend!

A mostly white Gryphon steps forward, eyeing anyone who may have gathered for more information with sharply-slitted orange eyes. He lets out a quiet snort, and then the corners of his mouth turn up in a rather entertained grin.

His name is Apocalypse, but don't let that frighten you away. Most of us just call him Pale, though he's not exactly fond of that title. He's mostly a big softie. Just... mind the teeth.

Alright, have at!

sera

Dre: *FLAILS!*

*shoves Dre back away*

xD;

Labu, labu! <3 ^^ i'm so happy the gryphons have come here. <33333  If you need/want anything, m'dear, just let me know.  *loves and stalks happily*

Solistia

xenon

Sunchaser

WillowDragon

sera

Solistia

Atlapalli *o* /spazzes
Thank you so much xenon!! He's absoltuely perfect and wonderful X3~♥♥♥

YourLoveOnly

Oooh gorgeous O.o *stalks*
So glad to see you decided to come here ^^

SeaCrest

xenon

More stuff for Solistia! <3

I'm working on some randoms for auction. <3 They're all sketched up, just need to finish inking/coloring them, and then we'll be going officially! School's just started eating my face again.

sera

Oh, he's super handsome!! Congrats, Solistia, and *cheers!* for Chao!  ^^

Solistia

Neijiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii ;A;~♥♥♥♥♥ /luffles on xenon and Neiji
Thank you so much!!! TAT~<3 /spazzes

*loves on her boys*

xenon

Hey guys, I feel like I owe you all an update. There is more coming, I promise! I only have two weeks left of classes (finals included oh man), so that's been really eating up all of my time. On top of that, I came down with some kind of mystery bug, and spent the last few days being too miserable to get anything done.

HOWEVER!

I managed to get through a little bit more of my laundry-list of stuff tonight, which means I can finally move on to getting the Gryphs I've drawn up for you guys finished! I'm hoping to have them done by the weekend - no promises, as life can be unpredictable, but fingers crossed. :) If you have any questions, please please please feel free to poke me!

Solistia

Neocridders

I've been silently waiting ;) I really love the artwork. Very nice!

Sunchaser

xenon

Aaaaand....

Off we go. <3 Sorry again for the delay.

Solistia

Neocridders

Ayye!
200k on g66AF!

I love both, but I have spent pretty much all my PG to day >< In one day... wow.

sera

xenon

Oh goodness. I wasn't expecting things to take off quite this quickly! XD

I think I'm gonna have to take Sera's offer for g67AF, so she is SOLD! Bidding for g66AF will continue on until either next Saturday or someone else makes a buyout offer. xDD;;;

sera

300k offer on g66AF,but, yes.  xD  i /had/ to have g67.  <33   *gamphs off to send SG cheerfully* <3

sera

*happy wigglewigglewiggle!*  ^^  She shall be Lochlaena and she shall be my Lochlaena.  ^^

Willow

xenon

-wiggles happily- :3 Glad that you all seem to like them so far!

In other news, I need to buy a plane ticket in the next few days! That's all well and good, but it's gonna cost a fair bit, so I'm hoping to supplement my income. :3 Three paid (USD only) custom slots are now open. If you'd like to snag one, just post here and then send me a pm of what you want - I don't have a pricesheet typed up yet, but I have it all written down, so just ask me about whatever you've got in mind and I'll tell you if I can do it and how much it'll end up being.

<3

xenon

First slot is all yours! <3 Just send me a PM with what you're interested in getting. :3

Editing to say that pricelists have been posted (kinda) in the customs message. <3

Solistia

Bwahahaha, I shall snag the second >A>
*totally shouldn't be up as she is bedriddenly sick, but Cleiteag call*  *o*

xenon

Marked as yours. <3 PM whenever you're ready and I'll get to work!

Solistia

awesome! And I'm curious after reading through the priceguide, what exactly do Ethereal wings look like? owo

xenon

Ethereal wings are ones that float off the body and are semi-transparent. :3

YourLoveOnly

I want a USD slot!

*runs off to figure out what to order exactly*

Edit: is there a place to see examples? Because I am just getting into these I have no clue what the different types and mutations are and the genetic codes only confuse me more xD And we can only order one thing with a slot? Or multiple customs/breedings etc?

xenon

Heee! The last slot is all yours. <3

For examples, just let me know what you're wanting a look at and I can either tell you or find a picture or draw one. I'm working on compiling a sort of database of little images, but it's been slow-going to say the very least. As for amount of things, for this particular set of customs I'm limiting it to two things just to ensure I can get it all done within a reasonable amount of time (finals are next week, so life is getting crrrraaaazy @_@). So, one custom and a breeding, two customs, etc. :3

YourLoveOnly

Yay! I'll be getting two customs then and I'll PM you if I need to see examples of certain things (probably easier than spamming the thread xD), do you have a form to fill out or do people just make one up?

Solistia

YourLoveOnly

Yea I looked at all the posts I could see there already, it kinda helped ^^

xenon

I didn't have a form, but I can whip one up right now! It's... kinda long. xD I've also gone ahead and listed the wild type traits for reference. These are the traits that come default and are included in the base price. For the specific types, like aquatic, kirin, and phoenix, just ask and I'll give you a list of what that includes by default. :3

Gender: (male is more rare - I don't have this on the list, but it's +$.50 to get a male Cleiteag.)
Build: (WT: Standard)
Hair Modifiers: (WT: None)
Any Color Modifiers?: (WT: None)
Beak Type: (WT: Predatory)
Beak Modifiers: (WT: None)
Ear Type: (WT: Feline)
Head Modifiers: (WT: None)
Long Neck?: (WT: No)
Forelegs: (WT: Talons)
Foreleg Modifiers: (WT: None)
Hindlegs: (WT: Paws)
Hindleg Modifiers: (WT: None)
Long claws?: (WT: No)
Wings: (WT: Feathered)
Wing Modifier: (WT: None)
Tail: (WT: Feline)
Tail Modifier: (WT: None)
A description of colors/patterns:
Any words on personality?:

....So that's really long. I'd say a safe bet is to go ahead and just send me the things you want to be something other than the wild-type form, to save you on time. <3 If I have any questions about what you want, I'll ask you, and if you have something in mind that you're not sure if it would be possible to get, just ask me and I'll see if I can't work something out. :3 With all customs, I'll send you a pencil sketch for you to ok (or for me to modify, if I missed something or it isn't quite what you had in mind), and you'll also get a flat-colored version so I can check patterns with you.

Sorry for the massive wall of text post. XD;

YourLoveOnly

I like massive walls of texts <3
I am busy helping Silv with data entry thingy tonight, but will send the forms asap.
So many options, so many ideas.. *runs off plotting*

I am so saving up to buy many more of these in the future!

Solistia

BTW, xenon, you should set up a thread in the Colonist Records forum so we can all give you good feedback for dealing with $USD things :3

xenon

Oh hey, I should! XD I didn't even notice that, thank you for letting me know.

Also: I just need to say that I adore all of you. It's been quite a lot of work getting this all running again and I've had recurring fears it'd all be for nothing. Thank you so much. <3 I am left punctuating things with hearts. <3

YourLoveOnly

I think I can figure out mutations just fine, but I'd like to see examples of the difference between standard, light and heavy. Miniature is just a regular gryph but smaller I think? I am also a little confused about what color modifiers are O.o And I wouldn't even know what bipedal and elongate means XD That's what you get sometimes when English is not your first language :P

*is having a lot of fun with these* So many possibilities <3 I feel like I could buy 100 and none of them would look alike :D

xenon

Hee! No worries, I've got a few examples for those all ready to go. <3

The primary difference between the base builds is the size and thickness of limbs. Miniatures are very small, usually only a little bit bigger than the kitten image. There aren't any of those in the database just yet, but there will be. Here are some little sketches I did at some point to show the basic differences in traits:

- Standard build
- Heavy build
- Light build

In addition, those with Heavy build will be a little big bigger in overall size (I'd say a quarter bigger, about?), and those with Light will be about a quarter smaller, though some variation can occur.

For reference, here's my miniature:

Bipedal and Elongate are two specialized body types that are both a little bit... weird. Since it's hard to describe what they look like, exactly, I'll go right back to my picture examples!

- Elongate
- Bipedal

One of the things I'm excited about is introducing a variety of traits. <3 My hope is that I'll manage to have enough subtle variations that even two gryphs that have the same colors, patterns, and genes as another will still be recognizable as individuals. I hope that the only ones that'll be identical to each other will be true twins. :3

OH! Right, as for color modifications, they're just a few additional traits that further change the appearance of a Gryph. Colored skin will result in all areas of exposed skin (or the whole body, in the case of a hairless!) to be as brightly colored as the plumage/fur. A good example of that is this one:

The other color modifier is albinism. This is a trait that has two forms, homozygous and heterozygous (two copies of the albino gene and one copy of it, respectively). The homozygous form is a "true" albino, so all plumage and fur is white, and the skin is pink. Often, eyes will be red or pink. The heterozygous form has a white or off-white base color, with colored markings still present. An example is this fellow (he's actually Apocalypse's son - they both have the heterozygous albinism):

If he didn't have the single copy of that gene, his base coat would probably be a reddish-brown, somewhere between what his mother's coat is (red) and what his father's would be, otherwise (brown).

Whew! Hopefully that explains it well enough. xDDD