News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

{Spongequines} Main Thread- Come and take a look!

Started by JellyThunda, June 13, 2011, 06:07:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JellyThunda

(click the banner to go to our website, where you can claim items at the item shop)

link to photobucket folder with owned spongequines

You know those sponge animals they sell in the dollar store that grow when you put them in water? Well these ponies work the same way! You see, a man in Switzerland had bought those growing sponges for his daughter one day (in the shapes of horses, of course! What else would a little girl want?), and they put the sponges in a glass vase with water so they could grow overnight. Well, boy did they grow! In the morning, the man and his daughter were surprised with the appearance of little foals running around their house! The man had no idea where they could have come from, but the girl knew where they came from, for she had a mind not blinded by logic and realism. They put the foals out into their barn and the man simply accepted the occurrence as nothing, for many strange things happen in Switzerland overnight. But his daughter had a mission; buy every last one of those sponge horses out of the town! Strange enough, so did every other girl do the same that day. The whole of Switzerland soon found out the truth of those mysterious little sponges, and now you can have one too! The only catch is that they never grow beyond the size of a foal, for they lose the ability to absorb water and become larger once their spongy embryo has fully expanded.
Yet they appear as foals, they are still called "Mare" and "Stallion", since they are capable of reproduction.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Spongequines! This will be an entirely FREE adoptable (excluding any kind of custom-order) which will host events approximately once every 2 weeks. Our main focus is fun, and that's what we hope you have while participating in our events and games!

~Thread Contents~
-
a Short Story (above) and my to-do list (below)
-
Examples
-
Events
-
Information
-
Pick-Ups

~To-Do List~

-(waiting for semi custom form from laviee)
-pending growings (zero)
-pending breedings (zero)
-work on new breeds (Ardennais is next, after I finish the cross-bred breed)

JellyThunda

~Examples~

! Arabian Mare !

! Arabian Stallion !

! Friesian Mare !

! Friesian Stallion !

! Babies !
(these are universal-no matter what breed it will be, the baby will look like this; by the way this is just a compilation of a lot of babies for added effect. <3)

the original (non-rotated and thus not pixelated) sponge is the red one in the upper left hand corner

JellyThunda

~Events~

The first event today will be a short-survey raffle!
ENDED

1. What do you think of the idea so far? Questions? Comments?
2. What do you think about the artwork? Is it too simple/ just plain ugly? Do you think it's awesome and it is perfect how it is?
3. Do you think you'd enjoy collecting these?
4. Is it weird that the sponges turn into foals? (if you say yes, then you're on my side! XD)
5. What do you think should be the next breed I make into a spongequine? (the breed with the most votes will appear in week 3 along with another that I pick from your answers!)
The next 2 breeds will be the friesian (my pick) and a draft horse!
6. Do you think the current cert is nice or do you think it needs to be improved? If so, how?

1st prize- a free custom Spongequine! WON BY EvanescentHowling
2nd prize- a free semi-custom Spongequine! WON BY Kahlira
3rd prize- a free pre-made Spongequine! WON BY red_uni387
4th prize- a free pre-made Spongequine! WON BY gonk

~Bingo~
BINGO FINISHED

~For the Participants~

Semi Custom form: (I still need these from.. laviee)

Name:
Owner:
3 Colors:
Preferred Markings:
Description of Personality: (try to influence me to make her/him look awesome...-er!)

and if you happened to win a sponge, perfume, or a vial of water, you don't do anything with it unless you have a mare you want to breed (it's always breeding season around here!) or if you were lucky enough to get a vial of water and a sponge, you may ask me to grow it for you. But you may want to wait to grow a sponge, because since they have no parents they will have a chance at being any breed of Spongequine. So waiting until I have the next two breeds finished would be a good idea. ;)

-CYO Contest-

CYO Contest Ended!

Wildfilly94
has gotten the colorist position! Congrats!
All CYOs have been certed and added to the Pick-Ups.

~Premades, Semi-customs, and Full-customs~

Go to the website's "adopt one" page to submit an adoption/order form for a premade, a semi-custom, or a full-custom.
Premades are not always available and will be visible on the website's "adopt one" page if there are any up for adoption. There is a limit of 2 premades per person, per month so that everyone has a chance at getting one.
Semi-Customs are always available, though there is a limit of 5 per person, per month so that the colorists don't get overworked. They will cost 50k in sg or you can trade your adoptables in exchange for a semi-custom.
Full-Customs are also always available, and also have a limit of 5 per person, per month. They range in price between 200-500k, depending on what you want. Mystical customs will always be more expensive than normal breed customs. You can also trade adoptables in exchange for a full custom.

Please read the directions at the top of the "adopt one" page before you submit a form in order to prevent any possible mistakes.

~Items~

Items are also available for claim on the website, in the page called "item shop".
There are two items as of now and they are located in a table with their description, price, and quantity available in the item shop.
There is also a form located to the left of each item's picture which allows you to request an item to be added to your inventory.
There is a limit of 15 claimed items per person, per month so that the amount of breedings and growings is limited.
Currently, there are an infinite amount of items available and they are free of charge, since Spongequines are a free adoptable.

If you want to request an item, please read the directions at the top of the page called "item shop" in order to prevent any possible mistakes.

JellyThunda

~Information~

Breeds~

There will be many different breeds of Spongequine, including (but not limited to) the Arabian, the Thoroughbred, the Friesian, the Lipizzaner (or Lippizan), the Shetland, and the incredibly rare Thessalian! All the breeds will have the same baby line art, however, since the breed of a Spongequine is near impossible to tell from the time of budding.
Mystical Breeds are anything that is considered fantasy in real life, such as pegasi and unicorns. The only way to obtain these is through special events and full customs. Each mystical spongequine will have a unique lineart and will be able to produce offspring which may inherit its mystic breed. Breeding mystical spongequines is covered further at the end of the "breeding" section of this post.

Breeding~

The breeding process of a Spongequine is very similar to that of a sponge. During breeding season (which will be all the time unless I specifically state that it is not breeding season) a stallion will find a suitable mate, using his sense of smell to identify a truly sublime-smelling mare whom he thinks is lovely. Because of stallions' attraction to fragrances, mares without a mate can use perfume to lure in a stallion. Once a pair have bred, the mare is in gestation for 1 week (some mares may start budding before one week) before she begins the process of "budding" and buds 2-3 sponges (the record for the amount of sponges born at one time is 5). Sponges usually grow to their full foal size within 1-2 weeks of age, after they have been sprinkled with water (though it has been reported in some rare cases that a sponge may mature immediately after being soaked). Mares may only breed once every 2 weeks, but Stallions may breed to as many Mares as will accept them as a mate (though I will set a cap of 5 breedings for any single Stallion per 2 weeks - any more would make too many sponges for me to color and grow! This breeding cap may increase over time). Cross-breeding is allowed, though any offspring will be of the "Mix" breed type- an androgynous Spongequine breed. "Mixed" Spongequines will be fertile, but any offspring will belong to the "Mixed" breed as well. (Unless one parent is a Mystical breed- see below for Mystical Spongequine breeding information)
There are no items that a potential breeder needs in order to breed two Spongequines together. Yet there are many items which can help to produce more babies, more mutations, more markings, etc.
For example, perfume, as I mentioned above, will allow you to breed a mare you own to a wild stallion. The native Spongequine Stallions (these are wild and always are available) are attracted to your mare, resulting in your mare becoming pregnant (the baby will have some traits of the mother and some random traits). This item is useful when you have no Stallions in your herd to breed with your Mare/s.
Even though breeding itself does not need any items, you will need a very simple item to be able to grow a sponge into a foal. All you need is a vial of water- just sprinkle it onto the little sponge and watch it grow!

Offspring of a mystical spongequine, when one parent is not mystical, will produce offspring with a 10% chance of being mystical as well, though they also will have a 50% chance of being a mix-bred sponge and a 40% chance of being the breed of the parent which was not mystical. Mystical X Mystical crosses guarantee mystical offspring. (for now there is a 90% chance of being the breed of the non-mystical parent since I haven't made the mixed breed lineart yet.... :P)

To claim yourself an item or two, visit our website and go to the item shop, where you may submit a form for either a perfume or a vial of water.

~more info coming soon~

JellyThunda

red_uni387~

gonk~

EvanescentHowling~

Kahlira~

neocridders~

Ryuukokoro~

CrystalAngelNeko~

YourLoveOnly~

Wildfilly94~

Victoria~

Luv007~

Winged dreams~

kunaisa~

wildnightblazer~

Kahlira

I like the idea so far. Seems different and unique. And as a kid, I always loved those spongey things you put in the water and watch em grow.

2. What do you think about the artwork? Is it too simple/ just plain ugly? Do you think it's awesome and it is perfect how it is?

So far, I like it =D The arabian mare seems wild and carefree, the stallion calm and reserved. But I'd have to see other colored versions to make full judgement.

Uh. YES!

4. Is it weird that the sponges turn into foals? (if you say yes, then you're on my side! XD)

Erm.. In someone's brain, everything is  possible. Not probable, but possible.

5. What do you think should be the next breed I make into a spongequine? (the breed with the most votes will appear in week 3 along with another that I pick from your answers!)

Something drafty, Clydes, Fjords, feathery feets for the win!

6. Do you think the current cert is nice or do you think it needs to be improved? If so, how?

I like the current certs, they're kind of cute. Granted the pink is very bright, though.

EvanescentHowling

I think it is a wonderful idea! One of the cutest ideas I think I've ever heard!

The artwork may not be as good as some others I've seen but I think they are amazing anyway!

Yesh! They are adorable <3

It is definitely a 'new' idea and not realistic, but its imaginable.

I really like mustangs, trakehners, all warmbloods. Although I would REALLY like to see some friesians :)

I think the cert is just fine, not too complicated (simple) and it stands out.

red_uni387

I love the idea! I don't see how sponges turn into the adults, but that just means I gotta use my imagination XD

It's adorable! Yes it is simple, but that's the beauty of it! Very charming <3

Very much so!!

Yes, but in the world of imagination, anything is possible! it's a very creative idea :D

I'd love to see a draft horse!! gypsy vanner~

I think it's fine. Color for gender, and it gives plenty of inormation :)

JellyThunda

Thanks for the opinions! I think I -may- redo the stallion, but that's only if I bother myself to do it... XD I will try to make the improvements that you have suggested so far. <3 I think I may be making those breeds appear sooner than expected, because I love lazy drawing so much. :D These are so fun to make!

gonk

I think its a neat idea, I love sponge capsules~
I don't think it's simple at all. My only issue is that the shading seems to be extremely dark, but that may be just because your examples are white - it probably looks a lot better with darker colors.
But I love the baby spongy ponies >w<
Yes~
Eh, its not any weirder than sites where cats and dogs hatch from eggs.
Draft horses would be awesome :3
I think it's nice, but the text is a bit small. Maybe make the text larger? Idk.

JellyThunda

Thanks gonk!

I've updated with an improved Stallion (his face is dished) and new examples of coloring. <3
And I tried to make the pink for the girl's cert less saturated without ..becoming... not.. pink.. XD

Looks like draft horses are in the lead for the new breed! :D

edit: I also fixed the shading. I agree, I had made it too dark. :P

JellyThunda

Hi! :P
I ended them on PI, cause it was a pain to do both sites at once. I am going to re-do the lines soon, and that's why I decided it'd be better to re-open them on PI when I have those done. (realized that pixel art is out of style on PI) I'm going to continue running them on here and I'll simply switch to the new lines when they are ready. It's way more laid back on Secundi with adoptables. :D
So, be expecting those new lines within 1-2 weeks! <3

JellyThunda

JellyThunda

And 1st place is.....EvanescentHowling ! 2nd place is Kahlira, 3rd place is red_uni387, and Gonk has 4th place!

Since there was only 4 entrants and I had 3 prizes, I decided to just give everyone a prize <3
so 4th place gets a free pre-made Spongequine, along with 3rd place.
Here they are~

3rd place:
a -very- red bay mare...

4th place:
and a silver dapple black stallion!

for the premades, I'll need a name and owner;

Name:
Owner:

For the custom, this is the form;

Name:
Owner:
Mane/Tail Color:
Eye Color:
Hoof Color:
Markings:
Extra:

For the semi-custom, here's the form;

Name:
Owner:
Preferred Markings:
Description of Personality: (try to influence me to make her/him look awesome...-er!)

I think that's everything... <3

Neocridders

Whoops. I thought I entered this >.<

Oh well, congrats!!

EvanescentHowling

Name: ScarletVixen
Owner: EvanescentHowling
Body Color: dark flaxen liver chestnut
Mane/Tail Color: blonde w/ dark brown streaks
Eye Color: amber
Hoof Color: (with markings on legs) like a beige/tan color (without markings on leg) black
Markings: stockings on front legs, coronet on one hind leg, broken blaze, faint dappling
Extra: could you possibly put a few braids in the tail or mane?? that would be cute <3 thanks!

JellyThunda

JellyThunda

JellyThunda

sorry for the spam, but OMG I found why I thought everything looked re-sized!
I had my browser's zoom too high! (lol!) Wow, I'm stupid! *durr*

kunaisa

gonk

!!!
Awesome! Thank you :3

Name: Wisp
Owner: gonk

JellyThunda

Kunaisa, those pre-mades were for the raffle winners only. Sorry. :(
I'll host another event soon, though, so you can try for something then! <3

Oh, and I ID them in the order in which I colored them, not in which I cert them. <3

here's your boy, gonk~

kunaisa

Kahlira

Name: Arianna
Owner: Kahlira
3 Colors: Palomino, flaxen, black
Preferred Markings: Stockings, Appaloosa, tobiano
Description of Personality: free spirited, fun

JellyThunda

I'm working on yours now, Kahlira. <3

and here's the improved Arabian mare! (this will be the improved line art for the Arabian mare, but I want to finish all of the improved line arts before I start using them, so this is just an example)

JellyThunda

Kahlira, your pretty pintaloosa mare is finished! She's in pick ups now.

red_uni387

ooh love my girl <3 thank you!!

Name: Supernatural

the 'improved' mare is cute, but i prefer the pixel lines more lol XD

Kahlira

JellyThunda

Hmm.. Maybe I can run the pixel ones here and the photoshop ones on PI? XD
That'd be strange, but it sounds like it'd work! I'll just wait and see what everyone else thinks as well, before I make any decisions. (lol, I think I like the pixel ones better, too)

and here she is (I simply had to fix her hooves.. I had forgotten to color them peach! *d'oh*)

ETA: yeah, I like her too. <3 I actually have never colored a pintaloosa horse before, so I had to use references.. XD I just love her reverse-blaze and her reverse-stockings. :D

Neocridders

JellyThunda

That's 1 for the old lines and 1 for the new lines!  ;D

I'm getting ready to make a new event... I just need to know what to do....

Neocridders

I actually love both XD Maybe urrr.... have it like how Silvanon does Painted Unicorns? So like tablet/hand drawn paints, you can do MSPaint and Photoshop smooth lined paints? XD Just a suggestion. I'll want both. So i guess I'll need to stalk on PI as well.

Kahlira

I like both as well xD The smoothness of the new lines, the sponginesss of the old.

JellyThunda

Ah, now that's an idea! I think that's what I'm gonna do. Maybe I could have separate threads or events for either type, and that'd be good because some people like smooth lines, and some like the pixel lines. <3 Yep yep. We figured it out.

edit~ I am finishing the plans for a game... but what is it? >.>  <.<

Kahlira

Neocridders

Urrr... urrrr... franken? no... pick a door? no... pin the tail on the horse? no...?
:o What?!

red_uni387

the game of where we try to guess what game is next? XD

JellyThunda

UGH I finally finished the graphic for it (it took for EVER)
but now I just have to upload it and post it in the thread!

Neocridders

DX I've got to go to the store. I'll be back soon. XD Maybe I'll get back in time for some fun.

JellyThunda

It's up now! It's a first-come, first-serve, but I don't think that should be a problem on here.

red_uni387

JellyThunda

I want to reserve one for Neo, since she's not here. So I used random.org (lol, I don't want to cheat and give her the best one cause she's awesome) and I'm gonna gift her B3!

Kahlira

kunaisa

JellyThunda

<3 Just to alert you, the picture may show up as "not available" if you happen to refresh the page while I'm updating the bingo. ;D

gonk

Neocridders

Awwww! Thanks for gifting me a spot! That was so awesome of you! <3 <3 <3

ETA: Oooh, a sponge! XD I guess I need some water now. Urrr, since you gifted, I can still claim my own spot?
If not that's totally fine. I'll get some water someday <3

JellyThunda

Neocridders

A4

<3 <3
Thanks! And I'll gift... D4 to kahlira. Red uni already was gifted to, so I think Kahlira needs some love <3

JellyThunda

You lucky duck, you! Two semi customs! :P