News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

MLP customs

Started by YourLoveOnly, September 16, 2009, 06:20:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

YourLoveOnly

Some of you may know, some of you may not, but in the past I customized My Little Ponies.
I loved doing it, even though there are so many more talented customizers out there.
Unfortunately real life decided to throw a bunch of trouble my way, causing me to miss my deadlines which resulted in being forced to leave.
I was left with a bunch of unfinished customs and no one to show them off to anymore, no adresses to send the finished customs to, I was told they weren't wanted anymore.
So I gave up. There was no fun in it anymore.
But more and more often I think back and realize that I really miss doing this.
So I wanted to show everyone some of my work, and if there's any interest start taking commissions again.

These are just some of my customs, I have a lot more and several close-ups of each custom as well.

Ursula, my first custom made for my aunt. A tribute to a Dutch band, called Normaal.
My aunt really loves that band so I made her a Normaal custom for her bday.

Valley Smile and Kokoro. Two of my RP characters. I made them for myself and I still love them a lot.

Estrella and YingYang. Presents for my ex-girlfriend, the first one for her bday, the second one for Valentine's Day.

Palma and Amore are among my favourites. They were made for my grandparents and are still displayed in their living room.

Nimphelia and Felix show off something I loved doing and was known for: symbols with texture.
The seahorse and fish both have a unique texture, reminding people of 3D symbols.
They're not actual 3D symbols as I'm not that good at sculpting.

Anamnesis was made fora religious custom swap. Her hair glows in the dark!

Made for a custom swap with Game theme, where I was assigned the game Viva Pinata.

A zebra custom for the real animal custom swap. One of the most fun customs I've ever painted!

Snowflake, a G1 turned into a G3. Made for someone else as a custom trade.

And last, but defenitely not least, my favourite: Lifetime.

Lifetime is a G2, the MLPs that were around whn I grew up. She was made for a custom swap and I had a really hard time parting with her. She represents day and night and was made from a list of specifications all customizers received. One of her sides represents day, th other one represents night. Her hair also has a light and dark half so that it can be worn both ways to compliment the side you're displaying. I still wish I would've kept her myself.. A while after I left the receiver posted somewhere that they had disliked the custom a lot and gave it to their daughter as a toy. The daughter destroyed it within a week.. Sad, hurtful, but I'm glad I still have her pictures to look at.

--

Would there be any interest on here for MLP customs? Both premade and commissioned?
I sell most customs around $15, but it depends on the materials used.
It's mostly for fun anyway, not for profit. I just really love doing these.
As you can see I even made a lot of them as gifts =]

If there's no interest in them that'd be fine, I just wanted to show them off and start enjoying again what I once loved so much.

Zephyr

I think they're pretty cool, I love the zebra a lot ^_^

I'd like a MLP custom someday, but it'd be pretty hard to get what I want >_<

YourLoveOnly

Haha, what do you want then?
And believe me, almost everything is possible, you just need to look for the right customizer.
And, in some cases, pay a lot of money x.x

Luv007

Wow.  I had no clue.  Those are gorgeous!  I especially like the zebra and Lifetime... and Palma and Amore... and Kokoro. 

They are fabulously made.  What is the actual process of making one of these customs?

I can't believe someone would say they didn't like Lifetime or that they gave her to a child.  The hair if fabulous as are what I can see of the body art.

You certainly have a talent.  I would be interested in this sometime far in the future when I have some extra $$ to spend.  But that will be far in the future. :(

However.... I applaud the ones you have made! They are gorgeous and each is very unique.

Keep it up!   Make one for yourself and post her up on here for us to see.

YourLoveOnly

Custom MLPs are fuuun. They can be very simple. I know a lot of people only painted new symbols on a pony. I usually rehair them as well (which is don't recommend for people with little patience xD).

I know some people do full body repaints on almost all of their customs, sculpt wings etc etc.
Possibilities are nearly endless. I prefer not doing full repaints myself, they're a pain and I'm not very good at them. But I love creating characters and making them come to life.

Lifetime was one of my favourites to make as well. All-over pattern instead of just a simple image on her rump, several hair colors, unique concept. That reminds me I should finish my spring pony sometime..

I do plan on starting on these again after NaNo.

Luv007

Spring pony, you say?  Hehe... I'd love to see when you start up.

I'm trying to get ready for Nano too... but I fear I'm just going to have to dive in head on.  I have a 20+ page paper due for english Nov. 2 and another paper due for finanace Nov. 15.  The english paper is almost done, but the finance paper isn't even started....

Lifetime's multi hair coloring is my favorite... as well as her all over designs.  Points to avvie<--- I want to make a Forgotten Love one day... with white hair and cyan and hot pink stripes.  But I don't have patience.  Lol.  Me, easily frustrated?  Never.  x.x

Good luck with both Nano and continuing these customs though.  They are awesome.

TheLeet

ooh, I love custom ponies and yours are really nice. I wish I had the motivation to get into making customs myself XD

Luv007

YourLoveOnly

I have a WIP picture of the spring pony ^^

Luv007

She's precious!  The chick on her rump reminds me of Easter.  She's going to turn out awesome...

JBGarrison72

Spring Poney WIP is sooo cute! *passes out from cute overload*

So I have a question, do you use waterbased acrylic paints?  Also, do you apply a spray or brush-on finish over painted areas as final step?  Just curious about the process you use with these.
- Jeffrey Boyd Garrison

YourLoveOnly

Yes, I use waterbased acrylic paints. And I apply a brush-on finish.
I'm afraid spray will make the paint blur (I have had that happen once).

sera

Wot kind of hair do you use?  i've been using the hair extension things and my MLPs ALWAYS have hair sticking up. xD;

YourLoveOnly

I've always used saran hair from RestoreDoll.
I love the way it feels. Nylon is also nice, especially if you want to curl it, saran does not stay in place.

It's really what you prefer. I like nylon, I just prefer saran.
When creating a custom with regular or long length I never has problem with hair sticking up =]

Zephyr

Sorry for forgetting to reply! I haven't been active much, on PI *or* Secundi. Bad Zephyr :(

My MLP Dream custom is a dapple grey mare :) MLP are the right size to be equine companions to the tiny 5-inch Ball Joint Dolls I have :3

YourLoveOnly

I don't think that's that hard to do actually.
Only thing I would never wanna attempt is roan >.<

BKC does realistic horse MLP customs over at the art booth ^^