News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

Nose or Belly Button?

Started by SplitX, September 16, 2009, 08:22:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SplitX

Splitty's a bad girl. There's a really, REALLY good piercing/tattoo place where I live that doesn't ask for a parent to sign for you to get something pierced, and you don't have to be 18 or older (you have to be 16 or older, I think) to get something pierced on your own. He, of course, has you sign something just saying that it's not his fault if you didn't have permission, yadda yadda yadda.
Either way, I know for 100% fact he does a good job. He keeps everything clean, he does it all pretty cheap, and all of my friends with any piercings got theirs done by him.

Now, here's the question... Should I get a nose stud, or a belly button ring? :x I'm trying to go for whatever's the least painless, but I also want it to be less likely to get infected. Nose & belly button piercings are the only two I'm really interested in right now. Does anyone here have either of those piercings? Any opinions? Any advice? (I'm 17, turning 18 on May 2nd)

red_uni387

*snuggles Splitty* I only has ear piercings, but I'll post anyway xD

If you want something people can see, go for the nose stud. If you want to feel bad and not have anyone see it, go with the belly button ring (though if you wear very short shirts that show your belly button, it wouldn't be hidden)

<33 Good luck deciding! I want pics :)

Goddesss

I would go for the belly button.  I like those better.  It is really just personal preference though.

I have never had my nose pierced but the most painful part of the belly button was getting the jewelry in, but they are both going to hurt.

Good luck. =)

PookaWitch

I've never had a belly button piercing but I have had my nose done twice. (The first time I had to take it out, and had it done again within a year after it was gone. XD ) My husband has his nose pierced twice (that's two piercings in his nose) and we've had these since, well, the early 90s. ^^;

It doesn't really hurt that badly to get your nose done. For the stud gun version it's just a bit more painful then the ear. The other method is to use a hollow needle and peirce the nose and put in a ring, which is highly suggested for the first while because a ring heals better then a stud. (I've learned this from experience.)

Don't let the needle scare you from the ring though, because your other choice, the belly button, they use a needle for that one as well. I 'have' heard that the belly button is more painful then the nose because it has more flesh to go through.

For the record I also have piercings in the.. um.. (can I say this here?) chest area. Mr. Pooka has a tounge stud and used to have one in a more private area as well. >.> I also want more!!

SplitX

Whoo. I'm definitely thinking nose stud. My mom says I have a 'perfect model nose' and I put on a little stick-on nose stud (though I'd go with a small ring when I first got it done, like you suggested, Pooka :3), and it looked GORGEOUS. My nose isn't big, but it's just... I dunno. That's the one thing I LOVE about myself. XD I really do have a model nose. Bwahaha. Think... Marilyn Monroe nose, I think. X3 Maybe. I dunno. (People tell me I look like her with my blonde hair all curly :D Yes, I'm goin' back to blonde)

Either way, I'm definitely considering nose now. :x I really am just worried about the pain though. Is there any way to numb it a little bit? I've heard that people ice their nose for like... an hour before they do it (same with ears & such), and it helps numb it a lot?

Goddesss

The pain only lasts a second.  You will stress about it and then once it is done you will be like "that wasnt bad at all" =)

I have taken pain pills before piercings but I don't think it helped.  I have had my tongue done 3 times, my chest area as PookaWitch so nicely put it done ummm twice and my belly button once. =)

Taruia

Pooka - no worries about the nipple rings, you can talk about them all you want, as long as it stays PG-13 and well we'd prefer no pictures lol. And can I just ask, did it hurt a lot to get them done?

Reality is only for those who lack imagination.

Silvanon

^^;; If you're having to go somewhere that doesn't require parental permission, then am I correct in assuming that your parents would disagree with this decision?  Why spend the time, pain and money now, when you've only got a few months go to and you're in the clear?

Garney

I have a belly piercing, wouldn't think of a piercing in the nose, it just makes me squicky, mine and other people's. So yeah, personal preference isn't much help XD

It was nicer before I put on a little weight of course, now I can't really show it off. Suppose your nose wouldn't be subject to expanding issues.

SplitX

Quote from: Silvanon on September 16, 2009, 09:21:57 PM
^^;; If you're having to go somewhere that doesn't require parental permission, then am I correct in assuming that your parents would disagree with this decision?  Why spend the time, pain and money now, when you've only got a few months go to and you're in the clear?

Well, I earned every penny of the money I'm gonna use on my own. Besides, it'll be at least a year before I can get anything else pierced (including another ear lobe stud! I've got 2) because my parents said they will not give me their permission to get another piercing while I'm under their roof. Granted, I know for a fact mom would like the little nose piercing on me (she's liked it on other people before), but it's just the fact that they don't want me to become a piercing/tattoo addict, like one of my friends who they're not very fond of. Then again, he went overbord. He got everything pierced... >>; Well, everything natural & semi-natural pierced. XD

It's something I've always wanted, too. If my parents seriously objected it, I'd take it out no problem, but I'm 100% sure they'd be okay with it once they saw it, just like they were with my second lobe piercings. Before, they'd said only 1 ear lobe piercing EVER, and that'd have to be on my 17th birthday at the earliest. <<

Silvanon

Mm, those reasons would all be things to sit down with your parents and explain out, and get their permission with.  Using them as an excuse to go out and directly go against your parent's stated wishes in an area where you are supposed to have their permission as a minor...I can't condone that.

SplitX

Quote from: Silvanon on September 16, 2009, 10:23:24 PM
Mm, those reasons would all be things to sit down with your parents and explain out, and get their permission with.  Using them as an excuse to go out and directly go against your parent's stated wishes in an area where you are supposed to have their permission as a minor...I can't condone that.

Well... they're the parents who aren't letting me have my car for 1-2 weeks because I was 2 minutes late to school today... the first time I've been late this year. TT

And I know it's not 'right' but with my parents, it's not really 'wrong'. If I obeyed everything they said, I wouldn't have a single friend right now. They've told me to ditch friends for no reason because of what they look like. They're not very nice people, on the inside, in the manner that they're incredibly selfish & shallow. I love them to DEATH, but they don't believe in anything but their own opinion.

Silvanon

I certainly feel for your situtation, but I stand by my earlier statement.

Edit:  Going to add this link, and consider my opinion fully expressed.  A page from "The Piercing Bible"

Just a note, in case there's confusion:  This has been a statement of Silvanon's opinion, as general opinions were asked for, and not a Mod-ly something or other.

And with that, Silvanon out!  *salutes*

PookaWitch

Quote from: Taruia on September 16, 2009, 09:09:00 PM
Pooka - no worries about the nipple rings, you can talk about them all you want, as long as it stays PG-13 and well we'd prefer no pictures lol. And can I just ask, did it hurt a lot to get them done?

Oh good. ^^ I actually had one nipple pierced when I was 19, but it became badly infected and I had to remove it. Bod modding knowledge wasn't as great back then as it is today (I had mine done in '94 I think, maybe '93... around then.) But for my 11th wedding anniversary, nearly two years ago, I had them done again. 11th is the 'steel' anniversary so I thought it was a witty way of doing that. :D

Oh heck yeah nipples hurt when they get pierced! The first time I had it done, it was right after that the piercist told me that the nipples are the most painful piercing you can get done, even more then a prince albert. O.o It's right on the same level of pain with a septum piercing because that one technically hurts less, but has to be done really slowly to go through the center of the nose. The one was really painful for me though because it had been pierced years before and the needle had to really work through that scar tissue.

I look at it this way though... if you really want it done it's just a moment of pain for something that you'll love for years or even a lifetime. I guess that it's much akin to getting a painful shot, you really don't want to get that needle but you need that immunization that will protect you for months. I was actually talking about this with my husband the other day, we've had some of our piercings for 15 years and it really just feels like a part of us now. To remove them would feel like having to alter your face.

Quote from: SplitX on September 16, 2009, 10:14:44 PM
Quote from: Silvanon on September 16, 2009, 09:21:57 PM

Well, I earned every penny of the money I'm gonna use on my own. Besides, it'll be at least a year before I can get anything else pierced (including another ear lobe stud! I've got 2) because my parents said they will not give me their permission to get another piercing while I'm under their roof. Granted, I know for a fact mom would like the little nose piercing on me (she's liked it on other people before), but it's just the fact that they don't want me to become a piercing/tattoo addict, like one of my friends who they're not very fond of. Then again, he went overbord. He got everything pierced... >>; Well, everything natural & semi-natural pierced. XD

It's something I've always wanted, too. If my parents seriously objected it, I'd take it out no problem, but I'm 100% sure they'd be okay with it once they saw it, just like they were with my second lobe piercings. Before, they'd said only 1 ear lobe piercing EVER, and that'd have to be on my 17th birthday at the earliest. <<

Oh, wow. I have to agree with Silvanon about this. It's not a good idea to go against your parents's wishes while you're still at home, even if you think they would change their minds. This could cause some serious problems. I myself would suggest getting some of those false piercings, like the false nose ring, wear that for a bit, it may convince them that it's acceptable. And if not, it's only a couple of years until you can have it done legally anyhow. ^^ You'll be surprised how quickly those two years pass by.

This isn't just an 'obey your parents' note, I know how wrong some parents can be about some things, trust me I've been there, but I think that in the long run the friction and fights that this could cause may not be worth it. If you have to take the peircing out right away it will just be a huge waste of money, and it will make them loose their trust in you. Not being trusted by somebody you're living with is a terrible state to be in, it really wouldn't be worth it.

Tattoos are a different story all together though, no matter what those are something to wait until your body is done growing with to get done because it could mess them up. It's something to not just have parental permission but wait until your body is ready for them.

WillowDragon

I had both my nipples peirced when i was 17

Yes it hurt, but yes it was worth it  =o)   I have only one peirced now, as one got ripped out when i was 21.   :-X

Willow xx

Sunchaser

.....ow.... to the nipples being pierced. Ills tick to my ears being pierced lol. I admire those that can get other places pierced but nipples <.< OWWW *hangs head and holds just* just imagining it hurts lol

PookaWitch

Quote from: WillowDragon on September 17, 2009, 01:24:59 PM

Yes it hurt, but yes it was worth it  =o)   I have only one peirced now, as one got ripped out when i was 21.   :-X

Willow xx

That's what I say too. Hurts badly to get it done, but wow I love my nipple piercings. :D

Quote from: Sunchaser109 on September 17, 2009, 01:26:57 PM
.....ow.... to the nipples being pierced. Ills tick to my ears being pierced lol. I admire those that can get other places pierced but nipples <.< OWWW *hangs head and holds just* just imagining it hurts lol

It looks pretty and makes them, um, very perky. >.>

Ravvana

My acute phobia of needles (and my, uh, lack of earlobe) means I don't even have a single piercing in my ears :P You all are clearly crazy ;)

Sunchaser

LOL pooka thats just wronnnnnggggg

red_uni387

you're making me hurt just reading about it!!! >.<

like sun, I'll stick to my one ear piercing ^^ (partly cause I'm allergic to nickel)

WillowDragon

Quote from: PookaWitch on September 17, 2009, 09:32:28 PM
Quote from: WillowDragon on September 17, 2009, 01:24:59 PM

Willow xx

That's what I say too. Hurts badly to get it done, but wow I love my nipple piercings. :D

Quote from: Sunchaser109 on September 17, 2009, 01:26:57 PM

It looks pretty and makes them, um, very perky. >.>

LOL  Perky in certain tempretures...for me anyhoo  ;D

I'll never forget the first time I sneezed after having them peirced, it was...interesting.

Willow xx

red_uni387

WillowDragon

SplitX

I've had a false nose stud before, and they actually liked it. I really think it also comes into part that my Dad's a lawyer (where he needs to have a clean reputation) & my Mom's a teacher (and she needs a clean reputation of course, too). I think that they think they'll look like bad parents if I'm seen with a nose stud. They both seem to think that having piercings that are a little more... 'risque' shows bad parenting on the parents' part. Of course, this is just insanely untrue. o.o; I think they're also afraid it'd get infected (I've had some friends with nose piercings that got just awfully infected, due to their own complete negligence of caring for the piercing at all), and then they'd blame it on theirselves.

I'm going to sit down & reason with them. After all, my mom said so herself that the stud was cute. Maybe if I figure out WHY they detest me getting a nose stud, I'll be able to convince them that I'm mature enough for one (enough to take care of it as much as is needed), and it is my own body, and they're not going to look bad for it if that's the case.