News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

What are you allergic to?

Started by red_uni387, September 17, 2009, 10:45:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

red_uni387

totally random.....but interesting info, yes?

I'm allergic to weather change >.< can't go from cali weather to an air conditioned room without starting to sneeze my head off.....

also allergic to shrimp(but it's soo good!!!), tomatoes, a bunch of animals, and a bunch of metals.......

What about everyone else?

Dunkel.Prinzessin204

I'm allergic to certain metals and most plants which really sucks since I was planning on studying Wildlife Biology. I also had some really bad allergies when we visited Canada this last august so I guess I'm allegic to Canada... ???

CutieePiee

I have the usual seasonal allergies due to grass, pollen, etc.

And a few years ago I had an infection and the doctor gave me a sample of an antibiotic and I got really really bad hives all over after only 2 minutes of taking the antibiotics. My face was swelling and my throat started closing up. Rather than curing my infection, the antibiotics gave me an allergic reaction. What a terrible experience.

WillowDragon

I seem to be allergic to everything these days  :-\

I'm constantly sneezing, and always have uncomfortable sinuses in the morning.  I'm thinking it may be my house mates body spray, and maybe the detergent we use for laundry, but i have switched that once and it made no difference.

Willow xx

springacres

I have seasonal allergies, and (apparently) an allergy to amphetamine salts lol.  (I was prescribed Adderall and got facial swelling, rash, and swollen throat from it.)

PonyMama

Ok my allergies sound weird but here we go

Perfume, Pepper (unless cooked in), Coconut, Chocoalte (except for one week out of the month), Latex, Birth Control and Mustard.

Most are mild allergies except for the latex one, I can't even blow up a balloon.  The Birth control one is a big one, I almost had a stroke last time I "tried" to take a mild dose for my doctor.

More or less I get stuffed up and my throat kinda swells so it is uncomfy.  Weird huh?!

springacres

Quote from: PonyMama on September 18, 2009, 12:41:22 AM
Ok my allergies sound weird but here we go

Perfume, Pepper (unless cooked in), Coconut, Chocoalte (except for one week out of the month), Latex, Birth Control and Mustard.

Most are mild allergies except for the latex one, I can't even blow up a balloon.  The Birth control one is a big one, I almost had a stroke last time I "tried" to take a mild dose for my doctor.

More or less I get stuffed up and my throat kinda swells so it is uncomfy.  Weird huh?!
*wonders which week out of each month PM is not allergic to chocolate*

Ryuukokoro

My friend is super super allergic to lavender. Which is really annoying for her because a lot of fabric softeners, laundry soap, hand soap, dish soap, etc. They all have lavender scent in them. She has to be careful when she goes shopping.

As for me, I'm pretty okay when it comes to allergies. When I was younger I was allergic to chocolate. >.>!! It would make me cough and break out in a rash. Thankfully I grew out of it!

red_uni387

WillowDragon

Quote from: Ryuukokoro on September 18, 2009, 12:46:50 AM
My friend is super super allergic to lavender. Which is really annoying for her because a lot of fabric softeners, laundry soap, hand soap, dish soap, etc. They all have lavender scent in them. She has to be careful when she goes shopping.

As for me, I'm pretty okay when it comes to allergies. When I was younger I was allergic to chocolate. >.>!! It would make me cough and break out in a rash. Thankfully I grew out of it!

I'm not allergic to lavender, but i can't stand it, and certain forms of it trigger my migraines  >:(

Oh... and I'm 'intolerant' to wheat and gluten, but honestly most of the time I can cope with it so i ignore it.

Willow xx

PookaWitch

Nearly everything environmental. XD I had an allergy test done and the results were pages long.

Pollen, grass, trees, flowers, cats, dogs, birds, dust, mold, perfumes... the list goes on and on. That's all mild though, I mean, I HAVE a dog, and used to have a cat (although I've noticed that after she passed I'm less stuffed up, and she was a hairless breed. ^^; ).

The most annoying is the perfume allergy because perfume is in nearly everything. It doesn't make me sneeze but makes me break out, often in rashes and hives. Everything I wear has to be carefully washed, even dryer sheets have to be checked. Most perfumes cause me to break out, so do most soaps. I usually can't wear anything that I just bought without washing it once or twice due to whatever they used at the factory to clean it will probably cause me to break out. I have to wear gloves if I ever do dishes (which I just make my husband wash instead) because I break out in hives from the dish soap. It sucks.
Some perfumes are okay though, I just have to find the really hypo-allergenic, more natural types. I keep a perscription rash/hive cream in my medicine cabinet at all times in case I start randomly breaking out from something perfumed that I didn't think of.
(For the record, I love love love LUSH bath products. ^^ I haven't had one break out from them.)

I have numerous mild food allergies, nothing more then an upset stomach... except for egg whites. I don't know if it's exactly the eggs, or something else that's in them (because it's happened to me with other foods from time to time), but I get a bad stomach reaction from them for days.

I know that I'm pretty badly effected by cigarette smoke. Annoyingly because of the questionaire when I went for my tests they didn't check it at all (because I don't smoke, and nobody in my home or work smokes) but it didn't take into consideration that my in-laws are chain smokers and it's a very close family... so I'm around it a lot. But even being near it for a moment I start to cough and feel really queasy. If I'm around the smoke for more then half an hour my eyes water and throat feels like it's closing. And, enough time in in (say, half an hour to an hour) and within a day I'm showing full blown flu symptoms. Sore throat, runny nose, itchy eyes, fever, chills.. the whole thing. -_- I've spoken with other non-smokers who were raised in a non-smoking environment and they have the same reaction... so it could just be the chemicals and not a fully blown allergy, I'm not sure.

PonyMama

Quote from: springacres on September 18, 2009, 12:45:41 AM
*wonders which week out of each month PM is not allergic to chocolate*
Something changes int eh body during your cycle.  My doctor finds it funny.  I was also able to eat chocolate during my pregnancy.  Go figure huh.

Pooka, I understand the perfume allergy, luckily I am not allergic to certain ones but those are the very mild ones and like you said natural ones. However,  I live in an apartment and the guy next to us, he has a lady friend who apparently baths in perfume.  Last night she came over and all of a sudden I can barely breathe and my nose is running like I just turned on a faucet.  All I could think was "Take a shower if you smell that bad"

My baby is also allergic to perfumes.  So far we have had great luck with the aveeno baby products, this includes a lavendar body cream and wash.  Even I can handle it with no issues.
Other then that we have to use sent free everything, even laundry soaps.

indigowulf

Im mildly allergic to latex, red peppers (not bell, I mean hot) also cayenne pepper can make my mouth blister even if theres so little in the food I cant taste it. I have allergic asthma reaction to cigarettes. If someone smokes around me, I get an instant headache, and sometimes need to take a rescue inhalor to keep breathing. So far never bad enough for hospitalization. Im so glad no smoking laws have come into effect in public places in Washington state.

red_uni387

whoa pooka! o.o

PM if you want a completely scent free lotion, Cetaphil is another good brand :) but it is slightly more expensive >.>

uh I hate cigarettes -_- they give me headaches too, which is horrible cause I'm usually out fishing.....*twitch*

PookaWitch

Quote from: PonyMama on September 18, 2009, 09:27:28 AM

Pooka, I understand the perfume allergy, luckily I am not allergic to certain ones but those are the very mild ones and like you said natural ones. However,  I live in an apartment and the guy next to us, he has a lady friend who apparently baths in perfume.  Last night she came over and all of a sudden I can barely breathe and my nose is running like I just turned on a faucet.  All I could think was "Take a shower if you smell that bad"

My baby is also allergic to perfumes.  So far we have had great luck with the aveeno baby products, this includes a lavendar body cream and wash.  Even I can handle it with no issues.
Other then that we have to use sent free everything, even laundry soaps.

Yeah, that's about it... I just have to find and stick to the mild things. Nearly anything by Dove seems to be all right, Ivory soap is nice and gentle too.

Your baby 'may' grow more resistant to it. When I was young this allergy was different, worse with some things and better with others. Laundry detergents and body purfume didn't bother me at all when I was a kid, but some soaps, if used on my face, would cover it in rashes. It takes more now then one wash with soap to make my face break out (I'll feel it itch though and know not to touch that soap again), so it could be something that is either grown out of or grown more resistant to.

Quote from: red_uni387 on September 18, 2009, 10:35:33 PM
whoa pooka! o.o

PM if you want a completely scent free lotion, Cetaphil is another good brand :) but it is slightly more expensive >.>

uh I hate cigarettes -_- they give me headaches too, which is horrible cause I'm usually out fishing.....*twitch*

Thanks Red_Uni, Dove creams seem to work fine so I stick with them. :D My mother warned me against Oil of Olay because it made her break out (she's not as bad as I am with perfumes, but sometimes they effect her, and I avoid those ones as well. ^^; ).

Goddesss

Quote from: red_uni387 on September 18, 2009, 10:35:33 PM
whoa pooka! o.o

Walmart sells a generic Cetaphil that works just as good.  My sister cant live with out it. =)  When we lived in the desert my son had really bad Eczema he had patches of bumps I couldnt get to go away for years and most lotions made it worse.  Cetaphil was mild enough that it didnt bother his skin but worked well enough that the bumps went away over time. =)

Aya

I am allergic to flee bites but not all flee bites just cat flee bites not alot happens i just come out in bigger red marks then normal people and they itch twice as much. It realy sucks as i love cats

Goddesss

Quote from: Aya on September 19, 2009, 01:00:06 PM
I am allergic to flee bites but not all flee bites just cat flee bites not alot happens i just come out in bigger red marks then normal people and they itch twice as much. It realy sucks as i love cats

My husband is the same way.  Plus flees seem to like him better then most people.  When we moved into our last place it had flees.  I had no idea but he knew right away as he started breaking out.  They didnt bother me and our son.  Poor guys legs are all scarred up now.

indigowulf

ick fleas. at the first sign of a flea, my whole house goes on advantage. 4 cats and 2 ferrets can be pricey, but the stuff works. Thankfully Im in a neighborhood now where I dont have to medicate my babies. Everyone on the block is as carefull about fleas as I am. A full year here, cats interacting with neighbor cats, and not 1 flea.

Jadzhia

I have a fair few allergies, mainly of the more minor sort. No life or death ones! I'm allergic to grass pollen, gives me bad hayfever. I'm also allergic to dust mites. We have 3 cats and if any of them sleep on the bed I get streaming eyes and itchy throat, probably from the dust/pollen that gets in their fur.

Biological washing powder also gives me a more nasty reaction - an angry rash. All my clothes have to be washed in non-enzyme washing liquid. I'm also allergic to nickel now, which means I can no longer wear any earrings (I have pierced ears). I do have stainless steel earrings but I find pretty much any earrings result in me having sore ear lobes, so I just avoid them all.

Shampoo... I discovered shampoo with sodium lauryl sulphate makes my scalp itch so I now use the organic shampoos that don't contain it.

Food allergies - none I know of, mercifully! Can't imagine being allergic to chocolate, how ghastly!