News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

Idea - Writing Forum (Functional)

Started by SplitX, October 16, 2009, 08:24:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SplitX

Well, I've been thinking. On PI, I don't feel as comfortable, for some reason or another, with sharing my writings (save for competitions for Adoptables). However, I feel like this group of people is far more supporting, creative, constructive, and just more understanding. I think we should have a section to show off our creativity with writing, instead of just artwork! I'm horrible when it comes to art, so writing is the only thing I have.

Just yesterday on PI I wrote a Haiku that got quite a few kudos, which I had no idea was that proper of a Haiku. I'd like to hone my skills for poetry.

I am also writing a book, and I wouldn't feel safe sharing it just on PI. However, I actually believe it'd be completely safe to share it on here. I'm going to get it published once it's finished, and I'd like opinions & love & ideas from those here on Secundi.

Anyone else agree that there should be a writing section? Does anyone think it'd be unsafe for me to share my poetry & my book(I'd post 1 chapter every week, I believe, and during that time I'd make changes & take constructive criticism)? I would NOT want any of my works stolen. I seriously wouldn't. But, I'd love everyone's opinions and criticism.

Also, for the writing section, I think it'd be fun for people to do 'Dear Diary' entries. This way, everyone can rant about their bad day or even share about their good day in a very fun and creative way. This way, people can know what's going on in their life, if they want it to be known, and it's much better than a rant to seemingly no one, if no one posts a reply for a bit. This way, you don't have to keep track of a diary. XD

These are just my opinions.
But, if there were a writing forum, I think there should be a fanfiction section, a poetry section, a free-form section (of course, with like what I'm writing; my book isn't a fanfiction, and it's not poetry, so it'd go there! Also comical spin-offs, which wouldn't exactly be fan-fictions, could go here), and a Dear Diary section.

Is this a good, or a bad idea? <3 What does Secundi think? =)
[Sorry if this was so long/annoying. I'm just really excited. I felt so great when people complimented my Haiku when I didn't even ask for opinions, let alone that I got good reactions! :D]

Kadana Sorano

I like the idea.  I don't know if I personally would use it, the writing forum, as I am very shy about it.  Though I do occassionaly enter writing comps for adopties, I just.. I dunno.  I'd want to for sure, wether I actually would or not I dunno, we'd have to see.

I think a diary would be wonderful.  I used to keep an open diary.  But well, it felt weird, having a bunch of strangers reading and commenting on it.  I ended up mostly using it to post funny things people emialed me or such.  If we could have one here, I might start writing in it again, dunno.  I used to post book reviews for books I'd read in mine, I'd maybe start that again.

I think you feel more safe posting it here then on PI because were still so new, and such a smaller community compared to them.  It's more personal, you know everyone, or nearly so.  Just keep in mind that we will grow, and eventually be larger.  So posting something you want to publish later on, I;d be careful with.  We won't always be so small and close knit I think.
Storm Chasers Current Thread: http://www.secundi.net/forum.php?topic=3836.0
Storm Chasers Customs Thread: http://www.secundi.net/forum.php?topic=3691.0
Okibi Stud and RB Service: http://www.secundi.net/forum.php?topic=4266.0
Quinsta Studs Free to Use: http://www.secundi.net/forum.php?topic=4308.0

My Eggs/Pets.. they would appreciate some love :) 

SplitX

That's very true. I'd feel safe if I could give my first & last name (well, nickname & last name) so y'all knew that the author didn't steal it from me & I didn't steal it from the author. XDDD But I dunno if that's allowed, even though I hope no one from Secundi would stalk me. o.o;

I might just give the general plot, descriptive character bios, and chapter overviews. That way people would know what it's about & give critique on the characters. I'd give a roleplay-type of description of them as well, to clue people in about their personalities. I do feel safe, because I trust every one, and not only that, I have documented proof at home about when I started writing my book, that I, in fact, wrote it, and all of that good stuff, so even if someone stole it, I'd have an arsenal of proof against them. <3 Though I doubt it's good enough to steal. >>;

Yeah. I used to go to a diary-type writing site. I think it was called LiveJournal. I know it was for other types of writing, too, but I remember writing journal entries only on there.

Though for the poetry, I really think it'd be neat to share, personally. I honestly am very shy, myself, about my writing. I normally would've PMed the haiku & other poem, but I didn't feel like I had the time, and I wanted to be sure it was there and everything. Even if it's not that goo, it'd feel neat to share and get critique.

Just for fun, here's a silly nonsensical haiku I wrote in Spanish class:
This is a Haiku
so please listen carefully
well did you like it?

It's not a Haiku in subject matter, but it's a Haiku in form! XDDD

Ryuukokoro

I think a writing section is a cool idea! ^_^ I'm always one to encourage writing, lol. I dunno about the Dear Diary thing, I personally never liked websites like LiveJournal or Twitter where people just write about what they're doing at the time. But I know it's popular with a lot of people so it might be cool! I really like Kadana's idea about writing book reviews on it, hee hee.

Quote from: SplitX on October 16, 2009, 08:24:05 AM
I am also writing a book, and I wouldn't feel safe sharing it just on PI. However, I actually believe it'd be completely safe to share it on here. I'm going to get it published once it's finished, and I'd like opinions & love & ideas from those here on Secundi.

I know a lot of people don't know how the publishing industry works, and since I used to work in publishing I always take the time to educate people. It is REALLY STRONGLY suggested that if you are serious about getting this book published, do not post it anywhere online. Especially in a public forum. I mean one chapter isn't going to ruin your chances, but if you keep putting segments of the book up online, and the publishing house finds this out, they wont take your book.

It sounds stingy and commercially, but publishing books really is a business just like any other. And the first thing any business is concerned with is making money. If anyone can view your book (or even most of your book) online for free, they're probably not going to shell out the money to buy it. That's how the publishing house is going to look at it. Plus there's the fact that someone could see your idea or even take your words and get the story published before you do. The internet is tricky when it comes to legal rights and what is considered proof.

Just wanted to give some info if you're really serious about publishing your story! ^^ If you or anyone else has more questions about getting work published, I'm happy to help. :3

SplitX

Oh! I wasn't talking about there being a separate part for 'Dear Diary' entries. I was just saying it'd be a fun thing to do. :3

Thank you SO much, Ryuu! <3 I seriously appreciate it. I had no idea! I definitely won't be posting it. XD However, I doubt my poems shall get any where, so I'd love to post them on here.

I think I might send you a message some time soon, Ryuu. =) I've been working on this idea for 2 years and I've finally got up the guts to actually make something of it. I'm sure, after what you said, I can't get your critique, but I'd love to know more about how to get it published & the works!

SplitX

Oh! I wasn't talking about there being a separate part for 'Dear Diary' entries. I was just saying it'd be a fun thing to do. :3

Thank you SO much, Ryuu! <3 I seriously appreciate it. I had no idea! I definitely won't be posting it. XD However, I doubt my poems shall get any where, so I'd love to post them on here.

I think I might send you a message some time soon, Ryuu. =) I've been working on this idea for 2 years and I've finally got up the guts to actually make something of it. I'm sure, after what you said, I can't get your critique, but I'd love to know more about how to get it published & the works!

Ryuukokoro

No prob Split! ^^

Working in publishing, it really amazed me to find out how strict the 'rules' are for submitting work to be published, and really there's no way for the average person to know these rules unless they have an 'in' with the writing world. 0_o It seems silly to me to exclude a manuscript from publication just because the person don't know to put their name in the upper right hand corner of the paper (well, haha, most places aren't THAT strict. Just using an example that comes off the top of my head)

You can share your work before publishing, especially since editing and critiquing is so important to improving your story. You do want it as strong as possible before you submit it to a publishing house. Friends and family might not give you the best advice, since they usually don't feel comfortable telling you bad things about the writing and just want to give you compliments on it, but they will get you used to sharing your work with others. :)  The best kind of feedback comes from writing groups, usually. A group of people who meet together once a week or once a month or whatnot, everyone reads everyone else's latest chapter or segment and everyone gives their opinions on it. Writing groups are awesome for honest critique, but they're kinda hard to find. Most colleges will have one I think. If you're in high school (sorry I don't know your age! hee hee) you could maybe start your own group after school with other kids who like writing.

Also, to stay on topic (lol), I might even start my own Dear Diary just for book reviews and fun stuff like that! And I do have some fluffy short stories and some poems I don't think are good enough for publishing, so I can probably be convinced to share them. XD

sera

Ryuu, do you know the current 'accepted' way to get published?  lol  Everything i've been told has changed back and forth.  For example, originally i was told you send it directly to a publisher, but then i was told that you /had/ to have an agent.  My writing group in Japan told me that you had to work up a marketing package before you submitted. . . which is actually one of my weakest points.  xD;  i write; i have no idea how to market.  @__@;;;;  lol

Maybe if you start a Dear Diaries, Ryuu, we can submit questions.  *innocent look*  lol

Ryuukokoro

XD haha that is true! A Diary thread to answer publishing questions! That would be fun! :3 And other people with publishing experience could chime in too!

Well I'm guessing publishing in Japan is somewhat different than the US. "Marketing package" isn't a phrase I've heard before, but I'm guessing it means like... how you plan to market your book once it's published? I can definitely give advice on that topic. ^^ I worked in a very small publishing house so we relied on our writers for a lot of our marketing, more than a big New York City house would.

As for agent vs. no agent, that is one of the hottest discussion topics in publishing! XD It's true that some say get one and some say you don't have to. I can go into details about what I've personally heard, but as you said, people all say different things about it lol.

And I think sera should open a diary for questions about Japan! :O I looove Japan, it's such a pretty place! I was only there for two weeks on a school trip.

Garney

Every forum that I put a writing board on gets like... two or three posts and then withers, so I would have to see a lot of support for the idea.

I was thinking about it, with NaNo coming up, but just one board for any genre/mode of writing, not in so much detail as you suggest.

Ryuukokoro

*nods* The board would definitely be getting a lot of activity with NaNo I think. And with the Diary idea, like a thread each person could add to each day with their updates (for people who choose to), the board would probably be similar to the chat thread in activity!

YourLoveOnly

I'd love a board like that =]

And I caved, I'm doing NaNo this year.

SplitX

I second that! You could always do a poll, Garney, to see who all would actually post their works?

Luv007

I'm interested!  I love to read others works as well as ask for ideas and critiques for myself.

I'm having a really hard time coming up with an idea for NaNo and I don't want to rush into it and fail... epically as I did last year.  But every time I try to come up with an idea, it seems I get overwhelmed and move on.

It would be nice to  have a place to discuss things of that sort, just a general writing forum for those who would like to use it.

SplitX

This is a horribly stupid question for a writer, but... what exactly IS NaNo? I mean, I know what it's about but... what do I do? Don't I just write without editing for weeks, then at the last half of the month, I edit it all?

Kadana Sorano

I've never done Nano either, so aren't entirely sure.  My sis (Rosewood) wants to do it, but were concerned how it will affect her grades at school, since I see how time consuming it was last year on the folks form kennel that participated.

As I said, I'm not sure.  but form what I gathered, you don't edit it at all.  Just start writing, and keep writing as much as you can, for the entire month.  There is a goal, I think, to try and get 50k words or something for the month.  I don;t think it is about editing, and making the story perfect.  I think it's more about pushing yourself, to see if you can do it.

Again, I could be way off base though.
Storm Chasers Current Thread: http://www.secundi.net/forum.php?topic=3836.0
Storm Chasers Customs Thread: http://www.secundi.net/forum.php?topic=3691.0
Okibi Stud and RB Service: http://www.secundi.net/forum.php?topic=4266.0
Quinsta Studs Free to Use: http://www.secundi.net/forum.php?topic=4308.0

My Eggs/Pets.. they would appreciate some love :) 

SplitX

That actually sounds right to me... -ponders- I think I just heard word of editing for people practicing for Nano. Hehe~!

50k? Hmmm. I really think I could do that. I can type up to, at least, 110 words a minute. If it's a good day, and I don't make typos (I rarely do), I can get up to 125 or so. o.o; Good lord. If I did at least 100 WPM, it'd take me... -ponders- 500 minutes to type that up. x_x That's 8 & a third of an hour! O.O; OHMYGOODNESS. Am I right here with my math? 50,000 words / 100 WPM = average of 500 minutes. 500 minutes / 60 minutes per hour = 8 & a third of an hour. >>; I wonder if that'd be a world record!

That's straight typing, though. I can imagine it taking me 24 hours, without editing, 'cause I tend to stop & think, even when I shouldn't. .-. X3

sera

You're on the mark, Kadana.  ^^  i've done NaNo four times and succeeded three.  lol  The entire point of NaNoWriMo is to write a novel.  Not a good novel, not an award-winning novel, but just a novel so that you can forever tell people from then on out, 'Oh, well, when i wrote my book. . . .'  ^.~ 

The premise behind not editing is that most writers get caught up in the editing and re-wording over and over again, which is why so many never finish anything.  *is caught in that particular cycle on her main novel*

i believe you need to write 1,667 words per day in order to hit 50,000 at the end of the month.  ^^ 

i won't have time to do an actually NaNo attempt this year, but i may try to do a limited version to get out a story to prep for the Writer's of the Future contest.  ^^

Ryuukokoro

Awww, I'm sorry you won't be joining us, sera! It's so fun to put people on your Buddy list and compare your word count and stuff. XD

sera's got it right, the point of NaNo is to push yourself to complete your novel no matter what (which a lot of times people have difficulty doing because they get caught up in making everything perfect) by giving you a very difficult deadline. It comes down to about 2-3 pages a day, from what I remember. Doesn't sound like much, and usually it's easy at the start, but keeping caught up with it is the difficult thing. It can quickly add up. If you miss one day, the next day you have to write 6 pages. If you skip two days in a row, the day following you'll need to write 9 pages to catch up. @_@

I remember last year I basically had to write all day for the last two days because I had fallen behind lol. My NaNo novel from last year was full of fragmented sentences and places where I trailed off and picked it up again in another scene altogether. XD

The point is to sacrifice quality for quantity. Your word count is your only concern. THEN after NaNo is done, you go back and edit it to a nice novel. :3