News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

NaNoWriMo - Progress

Started by SplitX, November 04, 2009, 07:26:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SplitX

Please comment on the chapters/writings as they're put up. Any/all criticism/comments are loved. :3

So, I was wondering if I was allowed to actually DO my NaNo writings on this thread right here. X3 I don't want to go against any rules, but I'd love for the people of Secundi to see my writing style, and hopefully like it. If I'm allowed, I'd love critique, and I'd write about 1-2 chapters a day, and post them all here. (Of course, I'd need to keep a word count. XD)
So, am I allowed to put my NaNo Writing here, for everyone to see/critique/hopefully enjoy? <3 Since it's not like an actual book, I thought it'd be fun. I still don't have a true idea for a story yet, but I have a few characters that I'm tempted to use, as well as a basic plot idea.

---

Word count for November 5th
Start: 0 words
End: 1,069 words (first day; spent only 45 minutes writing the entire day)

Word count for November 6th
Start: 1,069 words
End: N/A

Luv007

Honestly, I'm not sure.  But I can't see why not as long as you never plan on getting it published.

SplitX

No, I'm not planning on publishing. ^___^

Chapter One

Sun was glimmering down on the small town. It was a warm day, as were all of the days, year round. They never saw a winter; they hadn't for thousands of years. It wasn't because of the lack of evil, or any force. It was simply because summer was the season of that realm. It wasn't any other way, and it could not be altered by any force but nature.
   Pink dogwood blossoms flittered down from the trees and rested peacefully on the ground in a forest's clearing. A wonderful aroma filled the air and swirled about. It was the unmistakable scent of spring that lingered forever in that realm. The realm was nameless, but all who inhabited it knew it all too well. Even when all too young, the beings of the realm happened to have a general knowledge about the world around them. After all, without such knowledge, there was no chance of survival. Even in such a beautiful world, there was much hatred, rage, and evil.
   There was one particular being who was enjoying the warm sunny day,  it seemed, more than anyone else alive (or undead). She laid across a flat rock with her light green eyes closed as the sun filtered down onto her. She was right outside of her home village. It was a lazy day, and this certain Lion Kryx was being particularly lazy.
   Oh? What is a Kryx? A Kryx, you see, is much like a Centaur. However, they will never have any horse-like bottom halves, like a Centaur does. This means Zebra Kryxes don't exist, Pegasus Kryxes don't exist, Unicorn Kryxes don't exist, etc. Now, you might find a hoofed Kryx, on a very rare occasion, but they will most likely be something like a Giraffe Kryx, or a Gazelle Kryx. They have the features of the animal's half that they have. For example, an Eagle Kryx, was strange as it may sound, would have a beak and large wings sprouting from her back, as well as large, deadly talons. An Anaconda Kryx would be bald with scales covering their head, have snake eyes, and would have snake fangs as well as an Anaconda's lower half. They will usually have the fangs, claws, ears, etc. of the animal they are 'mimicking.' They also, in time, can gain the ability to shift into their full animal form. However, this takes much practice in magic, and natural magical talents. Now, let's return to the story.
Her home town, indeed, was a very quaint but special one. It was a small town, complete with about a dozen homes and a tavern. There were also quite a few stands where people would sell their wares, such as flowers, freshly baked goods, home brewed drinks, and even well-crafted jewelry. That town was famous for its jewelry. It rested near a cave that was filled to the brim with precious stones and rare gems of all shapes, sizes, and colors. If one happened to venture into the cave, he would look like a rainbow as the gems' colors reflected onto their body.
   This Kryx's name was Riko Harumi Ume. She had been born just after the previous winter had passed thousands of years before, so she'd been one of the few beings in the entire realm that had been born in the Spring. After all, that Spring had only lasted 24 hours. She was a very feisty female who never liked to lose. She had quite a nasty temper, but it took quite a bit to set her off. In human years, she would be only 23 years old. So, she was still quite young, and had at least ten thousand years left of her life, if it wasn't to be cut short. She was very well known in the small town and the few towns surrounding it. Riko took pride in her job. She crafted jewels, jewelry, and artifacts. She could also infused items with magic or certain spells. She had practiced magic her entire life. She was quite skilled in it, though she could not yet shapeshift into a lion just yet. Her magic focused on elements, rather than particular spells or miscellaneous spells, such as levitation and flying. However, she was starting to learn how to harness the wind's mighty power to lift her up a few feet from the ground. All in all, Riko was quite talented, quite adventurous, quite temperamental, and quite a trouble maker.
   Riko's large, fluffy lion ears twitched as she heard a call coming from the village. Her ears instantly flattened as she realized she was being called back to work. Slowly, she rolled her lion shoulders and then rolled her human ones. She purred and stood up. It was obvious that she was quite reluctant to leave her warm rock. She trotted towards the village with her large tail flicking from side to side. The golden bangles around each of her lion ankles jingled as she moved. She was dressed much like a Gypsy, with a very short and small white shirt with puffy sleeves covering her top half. She was very curvy, and it showed well with such a top. A healthy Kryx was considered far more beautiful than a skinnier Kryx. She also wore a golden headdress she'd crafted herself. A large oval ruby sat in the very center of the headdress, right at the bridge of her nose. Swirls were carefully engraved into the gold headdress. It was simple but stunning.
   "I'm here!" she called, moving to the door of one of the huts of the village. Inside stood a short Kryx with gorgeous golden fur that was covered in spots of ebony.  He was a young Leopard Kryx, with short and shaggy blonde hair, which was nearly the same color of Riko's long, rich golden hair that happened to be up in a pony tail. "What is it that you need, Katsuro?"
   "Riko, last night..." the young boy hesitated. His name, it seemed, was Katsuro, "Well... last night, some of the others wanted to go to the caves. I didn't go because-"
   "You were scared," Riko cut him off with a slight smirk. "Little brother, it is alright to be afraid. Now, continue."
   "Well, Manabu, Takeshi, Leiko, and Kameko went into the caves..." he fidgeted, shifting from side to side. "None of them have returned! They were talking about trying to find the sapphire tortoise at the very ends of the caves. I told them no one had ever gotten that for, not even in the bright of day, but they were adamant. Sister, we should go look for them. I cannot tell the elders. The others will get in trouble if I do."
   "Stop whining, brother," Riko said with a frown. She crossed her arms and shook her head. "We will go now. They probably grew weary and fell asleep. I do not think there are any true dangers in that cave."
   The cave was very close to the village. It took them only a few minutes of sprinting to get there. They stopped short at the cave's entrance to catch their breath.
   "Riko," said the young Kryx between pants for breath, "What if they are... gone?"
   "There is always an explanation for everything. If they are missing, we will find reasons for it, and we will find them," she said simply. She stood up straight and strode into the cave, an aura of self-importance radiating around her.
The cave inside was very dim. However, through the darkness, gems and precious stones of all kinds glimmered. It was a gorgeous sight. The colorful lights reflected off of the two Kryxes' bodies, giving each a prismatic spectrum of beauty upon their skin and fur. Each step they took was soft, but every single word echoed through the cave. They walked on for what felt like hours, until Katsuro stopped.
"We should go back... perhaps we have missed them leave?" he said shakily.
"Nonsense. This cave does not have any turns until it gets much deeper," Riko said stubbornly. "We must keep going."
Suddenly, a loud scream seared through the caves. Both Kryxes clapped their hands over their ears. Without a word, both went rushing forward, trying to follow the origin of the yell. Riko was much faster than Katsuro, so she ran ahead of him, assuming he would follow her and keep up. Then, it was all silent. She looked around. There were fewer gems and it was much darker. She turned in a few circles. Her eyes were wide with fear, "Katsuro!?" After her echo finished, there was just more silence. Something was wrong... terribly wrong.

Words: 1,463
>> I need to get my butt into shape here! XD