News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

Scroll Jumping Glitch (Known problem)

Started by indigowulf, December 27, 2009, 07:18:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

indigowulf

i tried to scroll down to the bottom of my sig code, so I could change what dragoncave eggies i had there, and for some reason the scroll bar kept popping back to the top. there was no way at all i could stay at the bottom. i was gonna get rid of my magistream things and help babysit fean77's eggs but i cant do it. i tried to mouse down, arrow down, scroll down. no matter what, it popped me back to the top. i even closed the page and reopened it. i dont know whats going on. im on fean77s comp now, ill see if it happens on my own when i get home. just wanted to mention it.

eta: managed to change sig, but i had to hold the down arrow while i hit backspace, and then just take it on faith that the cursor hadnt moved while i paste in the new eggies.

Silvanon

Did it pop you back up to the top immediately, or only when you started typing?

indigowulf

immediatly. I could barely look and see what order i had eggs in, had to hold the down arrow to see. As soon as i release down arrow, it popped to top.

Silvanon

Mm, ok, well, what I've found out so far is that the glitch happens when you get over a certain number of characters in your signature - something fairly close to the 1000 character limit.  I'm still researching on why it happens and how to fix it, but in the meantime I'd suggest if you want to change your signature again, right click on the box and select all, copy and paste into notepad, edit there, and then copy and paste it back in.

indigowulf

hehe I  need to stop getting so many eggies! 5 of mine, 4 of fean77's.. at least I finally put all my adoptables on one site behind 1 banner, or Id have broke it.

dont know why I didnt think of notepad. Ill do that from now on. Thanks!

YourLoveOnly

I only have that problem when typing, but it also shows up when posting on the forum.
Of course that's only when it's a long post and the scroll bar needs to be used (the scroll bar that's attached to the text box, not my browser's scroll bar). I can scroll down, but every time I type a letter it pops back to the top. I just type long posts elsewhere, then copy and paste them on here. I rarely have to make long posts like that anyway (usually when creating a new adoptie thread or for big events like garney's fishie xmas)

Would be nice if it does get fixed someday, but I'm not in a rush. Just wanted to let you know ^^

JBGarrison72

Ditto, I've had same problem while posting huge post in forum.  Thanks for the notepad workaround solution.  ;)
- Jeffrey Boyd Garrison

PonyMama

I have this problem too when I am typing a post, so I always use my email to create my posts then ciope and paste.

Should figure out the notepad

Ravvana

I didn't used to have this problem, but it's happening to me every time I post now that the forum has been updated.

edit: To calrify, this happens when I am posting, not editing my signature.

Silvanon

Ok, I did some more research on this problem, and here's what I found:

Apparently it's a known issue with IE 8.0.  It's expected that Microsoft will eventually issue an update for IE 8 that addresses the issue, but in the meantime there's not a lot to be done about it.

There is, however, a quick fix for IE 8 users who want to use it:
IE 8 has an option to use "Compatibility View" which will display the page as older versions of IE would.  If you turn that on, the boxes no longer jump around.   The compatibility button looks like a page torn in half, and generally sits next to the refresh button up top.  You can also find "Compatibility View" as an option under the Tools menu.  If there's a check next to it, you're using it.  If it's not checked, click it to make it checked.