Main Menu

GIMP Help?

Started by Pinkshadow, January 11, 2010, 04:06:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pinkshadow

I downloaded gimp, but i could use abit of help

Few questions:

1. How do i make sparkle ?
2. Is there a way to make symbols like heart and stuff?

(I may add more :p)

indigowulf

1) google "gimp brushes"
2) go find the ones you like on a site you trust.. careful of any download, naturally, some are virus infected
3) put the brush files unzipped in your "brushes" folder in gimp
4) restart gimp and have fun!

tips: best friends on gimp
control+z = undo
make layers, lots of layers, you can always merge them back down later.
lock transparency of any layer so you dont color outside the layer's template
the smudge tool is your friend, learn it and love it, it will love you back!

Pinkshadow

Thaanks alot indigo :D

I cant find a Brushes folder :O

YourLoveOnly

My brushes folder is here:

Program Files --> GIMP-2.0 --> share --> gimp --> 2.0 --> brushes

Pinkshadow

oowh thanks Found it :D <3

Thanks for all your help ;)

Pinkshadow

Alittle more help needed , i downloaded some brushes, and layed the unzipped files in brushes folder, but i dont see them in GIMP when i start it up? :o
- Am i miss doing something?

indigowulf

I can only think of 2 possible things. first, double check that you got gimp brushes, not photoshop, they are often offered side by side but not compatable.

2nd, go to edit>preferences>folders>brushes and make sure the path to where you installed the brushes is correct.

other then that, Im not sure how to help :(

Pinkshadow

i really must be doing something wrong then :/

Im sorry, and because my GIMP is in danish it dosnt make it easier (im danish)
- think i will try and get my dad to look at it when he is home

Pinkshadow

Hiyoko & YLO - Thanks for all your help , i found out what i did wrong.

I'm danish , so i have to think 2 or 3 times over what you write, and i forgot that unzipped, meant that i ha to extract to files and put the brushes and not the zipped file into the brushes folder :P

So thanks alot for your help <3

YourLoveOnly

Glad it's all working now ^^

I'm Dutch myself, so I don't always understand everything either. ;)

indigowulf

Im not hiyoko but glad its working :)

Pinkshadow

lol , indigo ofc :p

Sorry dear, all the names here confuses me sometime :D

- Indigo - very many thanks for your help ;)

JBGarrison72

I'm trying to learn GIMP myself; this information is helpful for me.

@Pinkshadow: I like the Danish Crown Prince and Princess. The princess was born on the same day and year as me, February 5, 1972 (I do understand she is not a danish native as she is from Australia and her parents are scottish). My great grandfather Peter Thomsen came to the U.S. from Denmark.  Three cheers for Denmark!  :D
- Jeffrey Boyd Garrison

Pinkshadow

Fean . nice to know :p and yea we do have a lovely crown pair, their daughter Princess Isabella is soo cute , and ofc their son Prince Christian ;)

JBGarrison72

My aunt is going back to Denmark this year.  She offered to take me with her in September but I won't be able to go.  :'(
- Jeffrey Boyd Garrison

Pinkshadow

I have a new question, as i have now pushed nearly every button , i wondered if there is no way you can make your own colour line in the tool "mixing colours" (is also on L button)

I can seem to find out how i choose what colours myself , i can only choose the premade ones like pastel rainbow and all them ;P

YourLoveOnly

You have to choose a color for both foreground and background and then you can use that as a gradient ^^

indigowulf

for the gradiant tool. you have the option of rainbowing it from one to other with colors between, going from just the first and 2nd color, or using a preset grade. you can download more. im not sure how to make a new gradiant that gets saved.