News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

Book Series?

Started by Pinkshadow, October 27, 2012, 01:59:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pinkshadow

Hello guys :)

I'm thinkin' of starting to read a new book, as i just finished Twilight again xD
- yeye but i like them and the final movie is coming out soon.

Anyway my thoughts on boos atm are:
- Cry Wolf (Alpha & Omega serie)
- Vampire Academy
- Halfway to the Grave (Night Huntress)

Does anyone know those books / series.
- and if so, are they good or bad?

Or any other suggestions :)
- I prefer books, of paranormal nature and love if they contain animals :)

springacres

I can't speak for any of the ones you mentioned, but have you looked into Christine Feehan's Carpathians series?  And I've heard good things about some of Anne Rice's work from a friend of mine who is a vampire fan, as well.

Kahlira

I second the Dark series by Christine Feehan =D They're awesome! Or any of her series, really, you say you like involving animals? The Wild series also by Christine Feehan has Jaguar men. Or Panther, off the top of my head I can't think of which. They transform into the big cats. Granted they can be a bit... Hard core romantical, something to keep in mind, and like, Vampire hunt scenes may only take three pages. *sadface*

Hmm... Trying to think what all I read recently, and drawing a blank, except on Stephen King, but his only series is the Dark Tower.

Wildfilly94

If you like twilight, prepare to fall in love with something else.

Fallen -Purely perfect. I adore this series
House of Night(Marked)-Another awesome series, takes the firat book or two to pick up though
Hush Hush -Amazing. Love. takes a bit to get into.
Num8ers- not really paranornal, bit awesome
Paranormalcy-Cute and fun, awesome

Pinkshadow

Thanks guys.

I have to say the Dark series scares me abit, because i like to own the books i'm reading and theres like 20 of them. i think i prefer abit shorter series.

I also considered reading Heartland, if you know that serie.
ETA: buut there are also like 25 books in that serie xD

And 12 in the Chestnut Hill serie o.O

but will look into the ones you mentioned :)

Kadana Sorano

Christine Feehan is a great author,if you decide to go for her, her books are well worth the investment.  I'd say take your time and grab them one at a time when you can, then when you have em all read through them.  You won;t regret it.

Laurell K. Hamilton is by far my favorite paranormal author.  Her Anita Blake Vampire Hunter series is my favorite, but her Merry Gentry series comes in a very close second.  The Anita series is however quite long also by now, so maybe start with Merry.

In the meantime, of the three series you listed,I can vouch for two of them.  Vampire Academy is a very good read.  It's fast paced (at least for me it was).  I poured through them (the books I managed to get a hold of anyway..) quite fast, and wished for more.  Alpha & Omega I have also not managed to read all of, but what I have read has left me very hungry indeed lol  I do like this one better then Vampire Academy, it is just more..real somehow I guess.  I know that's kind of an odd thing to say about paranormal stories, but it's just the "feeling" they give me.  When I read Vampire Academy,I never quite forget that I am reading a story.  But with Alpha & Omega I lose myself in the story, as if I am the characters I read about.

Either way, both good series, just I prefer the one a bit more then the other :)
Storm Chasers Current Thread: http://www.secundi.net/forum.php?topic=3836.0
Storm Chasers Customs Thread: http://www.secundi.net/forum.php?topic=3691.0
Okibi Stud and RB Service: http://www.secundi.net/forum.php?topic=4266.0
Quinsta Studs Free to Use: http://www.secundi.net/forum.php?topic=4308.0

My Eggs/Pets.. they would appreciate some love :) 

Pinkshadow

Awesome :D

Thanks for the tips and suggestions Kadana, i'll see if i can find them on english in DK anywhere xD

I'm glad to hear others oppinion about them :D

I have to say that the Alpha & Omega serie catched me just with the review of whats happening in the first book, but i'll be sure to take a look at the Dark series too, seeing as quite a few around here like that serie and can vouch for it :D

Wildfilly94

Of the series' I listed, Fallen(fallen angels and love) is 4 books, Paranormalcy(paranormal and love, odd creatures) is 3 (I think there will be another), Num8ers(a child can see everyones day of death, listed as a number above their head) is 2 so far, there may be another soon, House of night(vampires and love) is... 10? ish? so far, Hush Hush(fallen angels and love) is 3 (i think). ^^

Lectral

Alpha and Omega is a great series - I have the first 2 (and preceding short story), and am impatiently waiting for book 3 in paperback >.>

The author's other series is very good as well; set in the same world, with a few cross-over characters.  The Mercy Thompson series; first one is Moon Called.

And I second the Anita Blake books, though the later books have very adult sections, which  I have seen turn some people off to the series.

Pinkshadow

Wild - Thanks and awesome, Num8ers sound really interesting o.O i would be freaked if i was able to see that :O

Lectral - Awesome, to know :D they sound really good, so im glad other ppl also like them :D

Wildfilly94

Yeah num8ers is very interesting. My favortite of them all though is Fallen. Omygawd I love Fallen.

PonyMama

I liked the Night Huntress series, they were a great read and always left me wanting to read more

I will also suggest the Dark series though.  I know it is a large series, but you don't have to read them all.  Well only if you want to read about how each one meets and learns to live together.

Another series with is good is the Partholon series by PC Cast

Pinkshadow

PM , i know your a fan of the Dark series, is there a special order they should be read in?

PonyMama

if you want to gather and read them in order this is the best way to read them:

Dark Prince
Dark Desire
Dark Gold
Dark Magic
Dark Challenge
Dark Fire
Dark Dream
Dark Legend
Dark Guardian
Dark Symphony
Dark Descent
Dark Melody
Dark Destiny
Dark Hunger
Dark Secret
Dark Demon
Dark Celebration
Dark Possession
Dark Curse
Dark Slayer
Dark Peril
Dark Predator
Dark Storm

I started with Dark Slayer and even now it is a great read, after reading up and filling out the rest of the story, but Dark Prince is my favorite, it really sets the grounds for the carpathian world

Kahlira

XD Yeah, Dark Prince is the first and you pretty much learn everything you need to know about Carpathians. I read Dark Demon first because I was at a CVS and needed a book to read, and it had a cool looking dragon on the front. Second was Dark Desire since I found it at my cheap used book dealer. But yeah, I think you could pick any of them up. Though it's more fun to read them in order otherwise you'll read one, pick up an earlier one where they suspect someone of turning and you're all oh wait! He's got a lifemate!

But don't be intimidated by them. They do have hardcore love scenes in them. I sort of skim over them. And action scenes are not nearly as long as I think they should be, but they are romance. So fight to the death and such take a back burner.

springacres

Haha, I picked up Dark Gold first XD  But Dark Magic is my favorite so far in that series.  *has only read up to Dark Guardian*

Pinkshadow

Hah it's fun how so many of you guys really like the dark series :)
- I found the Alpha & Omega serie on a website in Denmark, so think i will read those first :b since i found the others abit harder to find in english on a danish site, apprently reading in danish is preffered xD

and the Alpha & Omega is only at 3-4 books, so that's something i can manage on top of all my homework at this moment :)

ETA: I just realised that Patricia Briggs, who wrote Alpha & Omega also wrote a serie called Mercy Thompson Series, which also sound awesomely good :)

Pinkshadow

Have anyone read Vampire diaries?
- I am totally lost in the TV series, but am not sure if i dare read the books :P

Midnight Phantom

Fallen is a good series, I wouldn't say it was heavy on romance but it is there still nice storyline ^.^ ( nephiliam with the ability to forgive fallen angels and allow them to raise))

Wildfilly94

Midnight! OMG. You know of Fallen? I LOVE that series. <33

Also new ones are The Hunger Games and Divergent. :)

And a few books that aren't series: The Fault in our Stars & Teardrop (Which was written by the same woman that made the Fallen series, I think I heard Teardrop is becoming a series)

Ember

Aha, the Alpha and Omega series is one of my favourites. Patricia Briggs does some really cool things with the whole werewolf genre.

If you liked that series, you might also like the Blood Books by Tanya Huff. Lots and lots of supernatural things in that series, with one of the main characters being a vampire and all. I personally like the follow-up series better, the Smoke Books, which you don't need to read the Blood Books to understand. I find it particularly cool because the main character of the Smoke Books is homosexual and a total BAMF while still being a relatable dork.

PonyMama

ember I might have to look into those, I need some new books again