News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

Newspaper Banner needed!

Started by indigowulf, January 30, 2010, 07:51:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

indigowulf

Ok guys, this is the real deal. I'm planning on starting a small newspaper in my area. I need a header for this paper. Odds are, your header will run for the first 3-6 months. After that time, random artists will be invited to show thier work (these artists will be submitting graphics volentarily, no reimbursement other then thier name in print)

Im looking for something 200 pixels high, 850 wide. This will be  ablack and white newspaper. Simple is good. It should read hold on- need to edit this! the font for this CANNOT be a predetermined font (ie, you cannot download someone's font, cannot use the built in fonts, I want to see free-hand font created by you!) Simple graphics are up to you. Please by all means add your signature (as I did in example)

Crud, I just found another thing with the name I was hoping to use. I cannot do this just yet! Will edit when I find a name that works!

Some key features of Spokane:
Our heart is riverfront park. The "buster keaton" scene Johnny Depp did for the movie Benny and Joon was filmed in our park.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBafYlgSCXs
The whole movie was filmed in Spokane (yes, the milk bottle cafe really does exist.In fact, theres 2 of them- there used to be a gaming group that fean77 and I were part of that met tehre on friday nights to play board and card games!)

Google "spokane riverfront" images to see many nice pics.

Bloomsday- one of the nations largest marathons.

Hoopfest- streets in the heart of downtown close,to be filled with portable basketball nets. An insanely large 3 on 3 basketball tourney, spanning a weekend, takes place.
(this image was taken during an early morning warm up. during the actual event, its PACKED)

Lovely waterfall on the river

the antique Looff Carousel in the park:

Hosted World's Fair in '74. Built the giant big-toppy structure and big ben replica for that event.

One more for good measure, the fun giant wagon in the park! complete with slide and monkey bars under.

Now for the truly important part. Spokane may be a city, but it still feels like a small town. People are mostly helpful and friendly. If there is even a small crisis, they band together. For example, every year, people go off the road in the snow. If you do so in a populated area, one of 2 things will happen. 1) someone with a truck that has a tow rope will happen by and help you, free, or 2) 5 or more random strangers will wade in knee deep in the snow to push your car back onto the road, while other motorists patiently wait for youto be safely in a lane.

and did I mention the wildlife??

I could go on and on, I love my home. But, this is more then could possibly fit into a simple banner anyway.

Willing to discuss payment. Also willing to consider more then 1 artist, for subsequent months. If payment needs to be in USD, you will have to wait til I have my business loan in hand.

indigowulf

Grr, I have to keep looking for a good name. Spotlight on Spokane was taken by comcast. big jerk-faces.

I thought "spokane pulse" but its also taken.

Suggestions welcome! Its a monthly press with local stories, reviews, events, and columns about things that touch the local populace.

even the unprofessional sounding "Spokane Gossip" is taken!

indigowulf

Another graphic I need, this one for sure. I need a small graphic of a bull. No larger then 200X200.

This will be the "avatar" image for a column called "The Bull Stops Here". This column will be a cheeky advice-style mailing answer column.

I dont care if its a head, full body, or pose. I dont care if it's pixelated or abstract artistic. All I care is that it's original and that I have permission to use it in the newspaper long-term as an avatar. The only credit given would be on the website staff an credits page.

reminder- it is a black and white publishing!

here's an idea of the feel for the column, if that inspires you:

letter: Hi! My name is Annie. Im 13. I want to get diamond studs put in my front teeth, but my mom wont let me. I saved up the money, and its my body! How can I convince her?

answer: What? Really? How could she say no?

Sure, she could argue that drilling holes in your head and putting rocks in them promotes accelerated tooth decay. But we all need dentures eventually, right? Besides, hockey players have sexy smiles!

Think about all those male rappers with custom fit, removable "grills", designed to minimize dental damage, while still showing thier bling. Those rappers? Wimps. Yeah, I said it. They cant handle the little pain from drilling cavities into thier own teeth. Annie, you should show them how to be manly!

Final thought- sure, diamond studded chompers were a shortlived fad in the 90s that never went anywhere. I have faith! It will make a comeback, right along with gold spandex pants and beehive hair. We will be styling then, wont we Annie?