News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

Bringing back Barn Cats? Honest opinions Please!!

Started by WillowDragon, February 26, 2013, 05:57:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WillowDragon

The question is in the title. I know this website already has successful feline adoptables and I don't want to step on anybodys toes!!! I'm not that type of person.
But I know they were liked when they were around before.

They are natural colours only, breeding works on real life genetics but don't worry about that I keep track of it so you don't have to.

For those of you who have never seen them, or can't recall them...here are the lines.

Like I said, I don't want to bring them back if they aren't really wanted... and if they prove popular I will get slaves...ah hem...workers to run events for me. lol

W xx

Wildfilly94

I remember these, and I wanted them SO BAD. I think I had one. Haha.
I would Love to see these come back!!

YourLoveOnly

I'm 99% procent sure they were on PI but never managed to launched on Secundi, only Rodentia and the animated dragonish one that breathed fire. But I do like them. I am more hoping to see Rodentia or the new bunny ones you drew because I think rodents are more unique and I personally adore them XD But I like these too! :D

Wildfilly94

WillowDragon

Unfortunately Rodentia is lost. The lines were on an old hard drive of mine that corrupted and I never got half of my art back. :(

Ryuukokoro

I don't remember that lineart but I still have my baby from the original art! XD

WillowDragon

Oh wow! Hehe. It's been a while since I looked at the original stuff. Makes me cringe LOL

I can do your kitten in the new short haired lines if you want Ryuu?

Ryuukokoro

Aww, thank you for the offer! ^^ That would be awesome, I'd love to see her reach adulthood! :D

TheLeet

I won't feel like my toes are being stepped on so no worries. :D

One thing I did wanna say though: I know this is probably not what you want to hear as an artist but since you asked for honest opinions - I kinda prefer the old lineart. :)

WillowDragon

TheLeet

It just looks more like a real cat to me. It reminds me so much of a cat I grew up with even though it's coloured nothing like her.

Did you use a reference photo for it?

Daimas

Agrees with Leet on the lineart prefrences* I prefer the old to the new too, someting about the faces of the new is throwing me off*shrugs* I would ove to see them back... I have a few ideas for memorials I would try to get

WillowDragon

I used a photo of a cat owned by my cousin, even got them to write an email to the Mods on PI so they knew I had permission. I never traced though. Just heavily referenced.

The original Barn Cats killed me, because it was before I really learnt how to template and shade, so each cat was drawn and shaded and coloured from scratch. lol They got too popular and I couldn't do it anymore...I left them, until I learned how to template and become better at drawing etc.

Unfortunately the old lines don't exist anymore!!

WillowDragon

I think the new lines are kinda cartoony cross realistic. lol I hope they grow on you!

TheLeet

The new lines are sweet, too. Especially the sitting down shorthair. I think that one's my favourite. :)

I never knew that you drew each barn cat from scratch. That must have taken an amazing amount of effort. I'm personally a big fan of templating XD

YourLoveOnly

Aaaah that's why I was wondering why they looked different XD I do like the new ones, but I am a sucker for realistic adopts, especially when lineless, so I do prefer the old style if I'm honest. But I'd still participate in these as well :)

Winged

I like them, would be nice to see them. I don't like the first pose shown there, but i do like the other three :)
Owner of Gliders!

Sunchaser

Wildfilly94

I must say I band with the others on this, I loved the old lines SO much, but I like the new art too. ^^ I'd be happy with them back in either lineart. Though it'd be cool if all the old lined pets could transfer to secundi, even if we cant get those poses or anything again.

I really think I had atleast one from the old lineart, and I without a shadow of a doubt remember them on PI, I just don't know for sure if I managed to get one myself. XD

Ryuukokoro

QuoteArrrggg! Really? Why?! hahaa!

I have to agree that I like the old lines better--especially GingerSnap's adolescent picture, that one is so cute! ^_^

I think it comes down to the proportions, really. The proportions on the old lineart look better than in the new lineart, maybe because you were using photo refs? Specifically in the new lineart I notice that the shorthair female head looks a little too small and the body a little too long. The male shorthair head looks a bit small too. The longhair female seems like the neck is much too long, making her head look to be way far away from her body (though that may just be all the fluff lol).

If you look at Matilda on the old lineart, her head is quite a bit bigger than the heads on the new lineart, when you compare them to the body size. For the new lineart, I think the longhair male looks best, and I notice his head is a bit bigger than all the others.

Winged

I agree with Ryuu, that's what i think i find slightly unnatural about these lines too i just didn't notice it till it was pointed out xD I still love them because of your awesome shading of fur :)
Owner of Gliders!

WillowDragon

Wow. I wish I'd asked this stuff back I did the new templates  :-\

Pinkshadow

I think they are cute, but there are already FCFC and Feli as cat adopts, so i'd prefer something more original kinda :)

Wildfilly94

Yeah, what Ryuu said. Lol.

They are NOT ugly, by any means though. I do love them, and would be happy to see them here, it's just alot different than the originals, so it'll take some getting used to.

As far as Pink's view: Feli doesn't have too many events besides the constant flow of breedings and FCFC is being pushed around a little because Willow is missing from the picture. I would love to see a realistic cat adoptie that has alot of active events and really gets you engaged in the adoptable, and makes you have a ton of fun with it. Not bashing on those feline adopties though, I love them both and their means of running things are totally fine by me, but it'd be cool to have a cat adoptie that is REALLY active. Lol.

Ryuukokoro

Yeah, Wild is right, they're not ugly in the least! ^^ I love the soft shading.

It would be neat to see a cat adoptable where you could do more than just breed, like take them to shows or something. ^^

WillowDragon

I do like the idea of 'showing' I always have. I used to breed an exhibit different animals in real life, so it's part of the challenge for me I guess.

Just not sure how I would go about doing that.

So general consensus? Yay or Nay?

YourLoveOnly

I still say yay, but would love some older style ones as well if at all possible XD I like these, I really do, but I absolutely lovelovelove the old ones.

FCFC does showing/competing, just Willow (the other Willow) keeps going MIA due to real life and other things coming up, but I'll be taking over those shows and they should make a return in early April. The first time Willow ran them we had several different types, the beauty contest was vote-based and the others dice based. Not sure if that's all staying the same yet, but plenty of time to figure it out :)

WillowDragon

Do you mean the old pose? Because I could always add it templated? Or the old style of drawing? Because I can't do that anymore. Lol I've grown past it.

YourLoveOnly

Well I like both the pose and the style so either/both I guess haha. I am a sucker for a large variety of breeds and poses, which is why I enjoy adoptables like FCFC and Octopuss so much.

Ryuukokoro

Yeah, I'd love to see the old poses added to the template pool for the shop! ^_^

WillowDragon

The poses aren't limited to gender btw...you can ave any pose for your kitty lol

Wildfilly94

... >.> Does this mean I could potentially get a custom-posed kitty??

I've been trying to get art of my cat, Bob, who passed away and he was very full of personality, and I love your style of art, so it'd be perfect to get a memorial of him as a barncat.

Plus my other, living and dead babies.. XD

WillowDragon

If you give me reference to work from, sure. But they would not be super available, and possibly only for super bribe or a good prize in a contest. These kitties were templated for a reason LOL

Wildfilly94

Okay. :) Just knowing they are available is happiness enough for me.Haha.
Ill get a bribe for bob someday. :3

Misplaced

'Yay'. I like show adoptables, I think people can get excited about that sort of thing with these.

Kadana Sorano

Yes, please!  Also, pretty pretty please for the bunnies you showed off to us when you returned *puppy eyes*
Storm Chasers Current Thread: http://www.secundi.net/forum.php?topic=3836.0
Storm Chasers Customs Thread: http://www.secundi.net/forum.php?topic=3691.0
Okibi Stud and RB Service: http://www.secundi.net/forum.php?topic=4266.0
Quinsta Studs Free to Use: http://www.secundi.net/forum.php?topic=4308.0

My Eggs/Pets.. they would appreciate some love :) 

Bunraku

Luv007