News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

An idea for Feli breeding

Started by TheLeet, August 02, 2013, 08:46:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheLeet

I'm not sure if I actually want to implement this but I thought it was worth asking secundi for opinions to help me make up my mind.

Basically my idea is this: Keep Feli breeding the same but give people the option to request a certain outcome. The trade off would be that those special "make a wish" breedings would only result in one kitten. Obviously the requested outcome would have to be one which is possible to achieve with the parents' patterns/colours/mutations.
I think it would greatly help people who breed their Feli with a certain goal in mind, but I don't know how many of you actually do that. XD

There are a few things that put me off, though. Firstly, I'm not sure if there's much demand for such breedings. I'd hate to work out all the details of it and then end up with hardly anyone ever making use of the option. On the other hand, there might be too much interest and I still want to keep normal breedings as the norm. D:
I think there's also a potential for people requesting stuff that isn't possible with the parents' they chose and I don't know what the best way to deal with that would be. Maybe try to get as close as possible to their request without bending Feli breeding rules :/

Also I think that having that level of control might make breeding a little bit boring.

The one great big positive thing about such breedings would be that I want people to be happy with their kittens and that it would cut back on the number of "meh" Feli. (I realise that that is highly subjective and there are probably quite a few plainer Feli who are much loved out there but at the end of the day, some Feli are more desirable than others)

So what do you guys think? Any input would be greatly appreciated.  <3

Rosewood

I like the idea. I mostly just breed pretty kitty with pretty kitty, but, if you do decide to implement this, then I would definitely use it.

As for there possibly being too much interest, you could make there be limited 'slots' so that you wont be overwhelmed with them, or, sense you called them 'make a wish breedings', you could make it birthday related or something. I'm not sure what to tell you as for people requesting things that aren't possible whit the parents. My one thought would probably just make more work for you, and, that's no fun at all. XD

TheLeet

Yes, I definitely don't want any more work. XD

Interesting idea with the slots. I was also considering maybe having a special item for that but then I'd always have to remember to remove it from peoples' inventories and I'm bad at that and I feel like it would make Feli breeding less simple - and I like the simplicity.

Kahlira

Personally, I probably won't use this unless I could do something awesome with it, and I'd use it maybe as much as I would a Quin MM ticket (I've used one or two I think) So for something special I would probably do it yeah. But maybe just to choose the pose I'd like. (I absolutely love some poses, others make me go meh) But kittens are awesome! I have no idea if I'm even making sense right now XD

SkySong

I think it would be nice - and it would mean there would be a little less kittens for you to color. I would definitely be interested in using it since I do have some goals in mind, but I know I would also have regular breedings in between goals.

Perhaps an idea would be a cool-down? So you have a special breeding, and then you have to have several normal breedings before you can do another special breeding?

If you were to implement this, how specific would it be?
Adoptable threads: None currently ~ Trading thread: N/A ~ Breeding thread

LC Custom Status: Closed
LC Breeding Status: Closed

CutieePiee

This is a nice option. However, I doubt I would use it often. When I choose Feli to breed, I mainly focus on color combos and the rest I like leaving to surprise. As for "meh" kittens, I still appreciate them. Plain ones add diversity into the Feli community.

But then again, that's just me. ^_^

YourLoveOnly

Before I can really decide how I feel I wanna make sure I understand how it would work.. Do we pick one or two features we want (like a guaranteed bobtail muchkin kitten if the parents are one bobtail and one munchkin) or can we specify absolutely everything much like a full custom (pose, eyes, body color & pattern, mutation, gender)?

I feel like having it be a complete custom takes away the fun in breeding a bit, but having people pick just one or two specifics might also become a disappointment because let's say I pick a stunning coat but the kitten ends up with eyes or a pose that I don't really like. Both ways have their perks as well, of course.

TheLeet

Thanks for all the feedback, guys. :)

As for how specific you would be allowed to get: I was thinking that you could pick pose, colours and patterns. I draw the line at choosing exactly what marking goes where - that would be too much for me.
Otherwise people could pretty much be as precise or vague as they wish. (I wasn't going to have a detailed form for this, just an extra bit added to the breeding form, where people could describe what they want)

The cool-down idea is great in theory, but in practice I could never keep track off everyone's past breedings. Maybe I could only allow such special breedings to be submitted at certain times of the year? Maybe every three or four months. Hmm :/

Wildfilly94

I like the idea. I can't say I'd use it all the time, but for example, I'm REALLY wanting more female LHs, I dont even care the color. XD So I'd prolly use it for that.
Or if I Really have a color combo I want use it that way. I'm not too specific.
Whatever way works for you would be fine by me. :)

Rosedawn

I know I have had one of these myself but I'm not sure how many beyond that I would want...though I can think of a few people who have such breeding goals since customs themselves are fairly rare...

I kinda like the idea of a birthday breeding which makes it a once a year thing for every person keeping them rare without making it something you would have to track to harshly.

Neocridders

I love the idea. Mostly because I'm hoping to breed a certain feli and I'd love to have just that feli instead of a litter of... close feli but not exactly what I want.

I think most people would still like the typical breedings since they would want multiple kittens and a bit of surprise. I typically would want this. But since I really want a certain feli, I think this idea would be great for a once or twice kind of use.

TheLeet

Right, I've decided to just go for it and if the new breeding option turns out to be a pain in the butt for me I can always go back to how things were. XD

I shall update the breeding thread soon. I've just got to make some pictures first so people will know what all the patterns are called ^_^