News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

Horse Gene Question

Started by Spixy, November 27, 2011, 03:38:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spixy

Hey guys 8D

My friend and I were talking about (once she's 3/4) making a foal on Marlee, since in Denmark you can add points to the show grade, if the mare has a foal by her side at the 4 years show.  And I'd love to get her graded as an RDH. She and her parents have already been breeding for years, but it has been ponies and not horses, so it'd be a brand new exciting project. Of course the foal would be staying as a riding horse. So it's not just a "OH MY GOD LET'S BREED".

Anyway, my question is - how dominant is the paint gene?

Marlee's parents are a brown (mom) and pinto (dad). I do not know what color their parents were.

Mom & Marlee:  http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v500/nuzzer2/ABMarlee008.jpg

Dad: http://www.pinto.dk/sites/TXQEEEEE/img/widecenter/a8cb4d3b-158e-4055-9d93-ebfce0aa85fczzaratti2.jpg

I'd really want to breed towards warmblood horses (coloured, we don't have many of those) and not in pinto (association), so is there any color stallion there's a greater chance of producing pinto foals with? Black maybe?

What do you guys think?

Winged

When you say how dominant is the paint gene, i'd say she has one paint gene and one non-paint gene. so has a 50/50 chance of passing on that paint gene. I have no idea about producing pinto foals :)
Owner of Gliders!

zarzamora

not really sure what you mean... coloured and pinto is all the same here!
If the mare is coloured (Tobiano I presume?) and the stallion is coloured (We'll say tobiano) and neither one is tested  homozygous then there is a 25% chance of a solid foal, 50% chance of a non-homozygous tobiano foal and 25% homozygous tobiano. (homozygous meaning the mare or stallion's tobiano gene is dominant and will always throw tobiano foals)

Your chances of a tobiano foal will increase if you use a tobiano stallion with the mare, and will be gaurenteed if you use a homozygous tobiano stallion like Solaris Buenno for example...

http://www.solaris-sport-horses.co.uk/homozygous_tobiano_warmblood_stallion.shtml

so best way to bring the lines back to WB is to breed back to either a hetrozygous tobiano stallion and take the 25% chance of getting a solid foal, or find a good homozygous tobiano  stallion... Or use a fantastic solid and take the 50% chance. I would always recomend breeding for type rather than colour ;) Some homozygous stallions lack quality because they have been allowed to remain entire simply because they are homozygous so look into it carefully- choose wisely! And remember a good coloured horse is ultimately a good horse- and if you can colour its white patches in and its still a good horse then you're onto a winner.

Spixy

Haha yeah :D Problem is - Denmark is a really small country, so we don't have many pintos in the first place, so the gene pool is limited. I had originally planned on going the "pinto"-way and then maybe importing some semen from germany, but apparently their pinto association was shut down, which is why I'm pondering going the other way.

My plan is to breed a dressage horse, so the color isn't really needed, but it'd be fun to breed a proper dressage horse which is pinto, since we don't have any of those here :-) Just to get some colour into "that" world too. So I was just wondering if there was any of the genes that are more dominant than pinto and alas have a higher risk of solid color than another? I know red is really dominant.

Marlee currently:

http://www.hestegalleri.dk/uploads_xl_wm/2674689.jpg?04-11-2011_22:41:22

In Denmark she's just called a "pinto" so I don't know her specific coloring, if she'd tobiano ect.

EDIT: That stallion is seriously lovely too, but darn too much Samber blood. Marlee is out of Sambesi - Samber lines too., which most pintos here in DK is too and I'm not a big fan of inbreeding/linebreeding. :/

Ravvana

The white in a dominant paint gene covers the horse's base coat, regardless of what it is. So a foal could be red, brown, black, bay, palomino, grey, etc, etc underneath the white paint -- the paint still has the same chance of showing.\ on any of these. She looks tobiano to me too (as zarz already said); tobiano is one unique gene and base color is determined by several other genes completely unrelated to paint/tobiano.

So zarz is right: regardless of daddy's base color, if he is tested homozygous tobiano the foal will 100% be paint, if he is heterozygous tobiano the foal has a 75% chance of being paint, and if he is solid the foal has a 50% chance of being paint.